AZ Barbeque.com

UDS chemical taste

Discussion started on

Bill Bain

Did ribs again today to make sure I have this figured out.  They were the best ribs I have ever done.  Happy with the UDS.  Love the draft controller, can work on other things while this is taking care of itself.
#16 - October 25, 2010, 04:34:31 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

AZWildcat

I got 2 UDSs and 2WSMs, im just trying to master the temps without controllers before makin the plunge with cash.  I think Santa might deliver 1or 2!

#17 - October 25, 2010, 06:14:36 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Bill Bain

Love the draft controller.  Auber intruments.
#18 - October 25, 2010, 06:16:22 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Jeremy

I know you figured this one out, but I have to point out that I HATE the blue bags of Kingsford.  I try and only use the competition briquettes when I can.  The blue bag still smells and tastes like chemicals.  The competition ones lack the chemical smell and taste.
#19 - November 18, 2010, 09:38:57 am

Bill Bain

I'll give the comp's a try, never used them. I also plan on testing lump but so far the blue bag is ok.
#20 - November 18, 2010, 10:05:15 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

SoEzzy

Just about any charcoal will cook well on a UDS, but always start with a small fire that is burning hot, instead of a large fire that is burning cold.

If you want to you can cook on standard K... I don't, (personal choice), but I know a number of good cooks that do, and win competitions that way too.

Same as a WSM catch the temperature on the way up and your in for a good cook, burn straight through your target and fight to get it back down and you will have all the funky tastes under the sun! ???
#21 - March 16, 2011, 11:10:41 am
There's no such thing as a little Garlic! A, Bear

Members: