AZ Barbeque.com

UDS chemical taste

Discussion started on

Bill Bain

I have been using Kingsford briquetts, can this cause the chemical taste?
#1 - October 23, 2010, 02:23:45 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

n2dabluebbq

with lighter fluid? did you do a really good burn on the drum? was the drum food grade? many more questions, but why not start with those?
#2 - October 23, 2010, 02:35:50 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Bill Bain

No lighter fluid, started with a chimney.  Was a new barrel and I have cooked on it a few times but thought the taste was too many oak chunks.  Now I am thinking since I had only two small chunks today it might be the briquetts.
#3 - October 23, 2010, 02:39:01 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

AZWildcat

Having never used the Kings Comp briquettes, i've heard few people talk of a taste, but i've never had that issue w/ my blue bags and UDS's.
#4 - October 23, 2010, 03:08:03 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

azkitch

Doesn't sound like there are any reasons for a taste. I always think K smell like roofing tar while it's lighting, but so many people cook Minion method in WSMs and win. Just start with RnQ, Harry Soo, and McFrankenboo....Maybe that's a clue...Oh snap, that rhymes too! Oohhhh...
#5 - October 23, 2010, 07:06:46 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

n2dabluebbq

how is the air flow? i think if all that stuff is good, then maybe try a different type/brand of charcoal. i wish i could offer better advise, but since i do not cook on a uds, this is all i have to offer.
#6 - October 23, 2010, 10:01:20 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Bill Bain

I have a draft controller, I will get some lump tomorrow and try that.
#7 - October 23, 2010, 10:20:40 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

KidCurry

More than likely still too much wood...its very easy to over smoke something on the uds.  Make sure you have enough exhaust...if the smoke hangs around for too long it get stale and tastes like crap.
#8 - October 23, 2010, 10:56:54 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Bill Bain

I think that I had too many briquetts started at the beginning and in order to keep the temp. down the draft controller kept the air flow into the uds very low and therefore kept the fire smoldering and caused the acrid taste. 

I have 8 - 1/2" holes around the top for vents so I think that is about right because that gives me 4" of vent.  I might increase each hole to 3/4" if anyone thinks that 4" is not enough vent.

Thanks guys, appreciate your input.
#9 - October 24, 2010, 07:44:17 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

KidCurry

I have eight 1/2 holes also...that should be enough. 
#10 - October 24, 2010, 09:01:40 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

SmoknAZ

The draft controller is controlling the intake only correct? You want to keep the exhaust wide open unless the fire is really out of control.
#11 - October 24, 2010, 09:26:54 am
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

Bill Bain

Draft controller is controllng intake only.  I probably got too many briquetts started and it was chocking down the intake to control temp. 
#12 - October 24, 2010, 09:41:49 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Bill Bain

got it figured out.  I must have had too many briquetts started at the beginning and the draft controller wouldn't let air into the drum until the temp was ok.  I think it was choking the fire too much and that caused the acrid taste. 12 briquetts in the chimney and then poured into the basket center and one chunk of wood.

What was really eye opening was just how fast this cooks.  I had the ribs on bone side down one hour, spritzed and flipped for an hour then foiled for an hour and 15 min, then out of foil for 30 min, then sauced and on for an additional for 15 min.

Hope this helps the next guy. I'll try lump next but I wanted to limit the variables on this cook.
#13 - October 24, 2010, 05:25:32 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

AZWildcat

My pref......I don't do ribs on my UDS, I use a wsm for that. That being said, i've had luck w/ ribs on my UDS only w/ a diffuser in place. Glad you got it figured it out. Don't forget the pics tho!
#14 - October 24, 2010, 08:55:28 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Bill Bain

Sorry, no pictures this time, it was dark, rainy and windy so I pulled the ribs off and ran into the house.
#15 - October 24, 2010, 09:15:31 pm
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Members: