AZ Barbeque.com

UDS build...first attempt

Discussion started on

Quiggs

Need to get someone to braze/weld my lid like that.  Looks like it works well! Congrats!

I only tacked it every six inches and the rest could leak air, but it does not seem to effect temp control so I am leaving it alone.
#16 - March 31, 2009, 08:13:22 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

KidCurry

I was thinking of getting a torch and some brazing rod to give it a shot. The welding shop i went to wanted $50 to weld the lids together and that was after i prep them.  :o :o
#17 - March 31, 2009, 10:29:36 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

toys4dlr

Some fireplace rope gasket should fill the void??
#18 - March 31, 2009, 10:33:29 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Quiggs

The brazing rod is what I used, you will need an acetylene/oxygen torch instead of one of the small can units you can solder copper with.  Reason is you want to heat a small area or everything will warp.  I only did 1/4" spots and it worked great.  Make sure to grind Weber coating off in that area, I did it with a dremel tool.

As for Dave's idea of fireplace gasket material, it would do fine but it would have to be squished in the crack on top as no void is under lid.  So far the small amount it leaks does not seem to make temp control and issue, now if it were very windy it might be another story.  I had 5-10 mile breeze and it kept temp very well.
#19 - March 31, 2009, 05:42:18 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

toys4dlr

Man after cooking at Rio, a 5 -10 mile winds is like a fart.  My temps in the drum were bouncing around from those 30 mile plus winds and the 30 degree weather. 
#20 - April 01, 2009, 10:23:10 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Quiggs

Yeah a bit worried about that, I have always brought a wind break I made by cutting some 1/4 plywood into 4'x4' sections and hinged back together, then we just put it behind our WSM's in a "V" and it stands up all by it's lonesome.  Might need a second one now eh!?!
#21 - April 02, 2009, 08:50:43 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

smokewagonbbq

Where did you get the thermometer with that long of a probe?
#22 - April 05, 2009, 05:37:59 pm
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

Quiggs

Where did you get the thermometer with that long of a probe?

Walmart, their meant for the deep fat turkey fryers but seem to work great in my WSM and now the drum.  It matches the remote themometer we use also.  I drilled hole for it just below top grate (so it does not hit any meats) and inserted a special rivet I use for work that is hollow and about 1" long, that keeps it level.
#23 - April 06, 2009, 08:02:12 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

Quiggs

Great evaluation of cooker last weekend at Stagecoach.  First time I fully loaded the charcoal basket and filled it with the three PC briskets we had to cook.  Temp was 300 when we dropped meat in and it dropped down to 100 instantly.  Took us 40 minutes of tweaking before we were compfortable leaving it for the night at 200ish. In the morning it was up to 240 and stayed that way until we pulled everything out around noon.

As we served the PC food I happened to glance over and realized it was still going strong at 3:30 pm!  That was 16 hours after we lit it!!

We used the new Kingsford Comp charcoal and I loved how little ash we had leftover.
#24 - April 30, 2009, 05:32:49 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

smokewagonbbq

We have been practicing with ours this last month and will continue to do so as we are taking 5 of them to Boulder City on Memorial Day.  It's pretty exciting to see how well they perform.  I just recieved my stoker system so it's time to see how that aids me in keeping a constant temp and not messing with teh ball valves...

Did you have any issues at all with your at Stagecoach?
#25 - April 30, 2009, 05:52:43 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

RangerJurena

We have been practicing with ours this last month and will continue to do so as we are taking 5 of them to Boulder City on Memorial Day.  It's pretty exciting to see how well they perform.  I just recieved my stoker system so it's time to see how that aids me in keeping a constant temp and not messing with teh ball valves...

Did you have any issues at all with your at Stagecoach?

Any reason why your taking 5?  I've done the last two comps on 3 and for Boulder City, I'm going to drop that to two.  Pretty sure I can get the long cooks on 1 and the short cooks on the other.
#26 - April 30, 2009, 06:01:34 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

smokewagonbbq

For now each Team Member will be assigned their own meat to tend to.  We may cut it by one and only bring 4, but we may need to learn the hard way on this one.  Also, each UDS only has 1 cooking grate....How many do yours have?
#27 - April 30, 2009, 06:05:05 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

Quiggs

For now each Team Member will be assigned their own meat to tend to.  We may cut it by one and only bring 4, but we may need to learn the hard way on this one.  Also, each UDS only has 1 cooking grate....How many do yours have?

Mine has two grates.
#28 - April 30, 2009, 09:57:07 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com

RangerJurena

I was using 2 flat tops, 1 for brisket, 1 for pork each had 1 grate.  For my ribs and chicken I had my original UDS which has a weber kettle lid and two grates. 3 UDS for a total of 4 grates / racks

What I found out over the two competitions and in practice runs at home is these typically cook the briskets faster, though the shoe leather I produced at Hesperia just would never cook but I think there were a combination of things that led to this, 32 degress, 40 mile an hour winds, 4000 ft elevation, etc.

But my pork got done there early, so I had one entire UDS just smoking with nothing on it, in Hesperia and one with nothing on it at Tempe as my Briskets were done early.

So, my original one which has some flaws in my work is going to retire to the back yard.  The two flat tops are now going to get Weber Kettle Lids and another rack roughly 6 inches above the first one.

I chose not to use the ball valve on these two as rubber magnets work fine.  I stop at the local Papa John's and grab a handfull on a regular basis.

One cooker per person, per meat sounds like a solid plan since you have the headcount to support it. 

The less barrells I have to load up after its over the better and ash clean up can be a B!t@h as well.  OR just leave it in like I did the first time and then add the cost of a new Rhino Liner to your UDS cost.. ;D

#29 - May 01, 2009, 08:15:37 am
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 08:18:06 am by RangerJurena »
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

smokewagonbbq

I seem to remember your Rhino Liner experience posted here somewhere.  I will remember that....

I am keeping my fingers crossed for great weather at Boulder as we are not taking the travel trailer....it could get very interesting. 

I also agree with the thought things seem to finish early in the UDS's.  I don;t know what it is but my standard cooking time seems to be shortened by as much as a third or so in the UDS on brisket.  I do know that unlike my big ole offset where if I get too much heat in there I can open one of the lids and drop the temp, the UDS that thing will eat air like a banshee and pretty soon my smoldering coals are a raging bonfire!  This might promote a somewhat quicker cooking time to some degree.

#30 - May 01, 2009, 12:12:52 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

Members: