AZ Barbeque.com

UDS #2 Complete! - Plenty of Pics

Discussion started on

ThunderDome

Started my second drum awhile back while it was still cool out. I bought the Big Lots kettle for this drum

I used the bottom of the kettle from big lots as the lid for the UDS, and made a handle for it

So...the past coupla weeks I've done a few things to wrap it up. Here's the pics.

Here is a close up of the 5 gallon bucket handle, i modified. The actual handle is a spacer off a cotton planter

Closeup

I made a shelf out of a piece of pine from the scrap pile at Home Depot. Used a Harbor Freight cutout tool to make the curve.

Then sprayed with some lacquer. Used some Eye Screws and some S-Hooks to hand my grill tools. Used a shlf bracket to mount.

Here's the fire basket. Just got a nice sized piece of expanded metal, and it was welded together and used the scrap to make the legs.I tried to make this one much wider in diameter than my last. I noticed that the hot spot on my last one was always about as wide as the drum so things cooked much hotter in the center (if I was doin 3-4 racks of ribs, the ones in the center were always way ahead).

Used three 3/4 inch intakes on this one. My last one I used 2 1' intakes. Also, my dad found some HD casters on craigslist for next to nothing, so he gave me 4, and they were welded to 2 pieces of strap, that were then crossed and welded as my UDS Dolls. The lips are bent up, and it fits like a glove

It originally was a closed oil drum, so when I cut out the bottom, I saved the piece I cut out, and torched some slots around the ends and bent up for my ash catcher. The fire basket stands right inside this

Added some red, blue, and white paint, threw on a decal and Voil
#1 - August 24, 2010, 10:06:22 am
60 Gallon Tank Build + UDS x 2 + Weber Kettle 22.5 + Weber Kettle 18.5 + Weber Silver B Propane

ThunderDome

Added some red, blue, and white paint, threw on a decal and Voil
#2 - August 24, 2010, 10:11:18 am
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:23:22 am by ThunderDome »
60 Gallon Tank Build + UDS x 2 + Weber Kettle 22.5 + Weber Kettle 18.5 + Weber Silver B Propane

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Nice smoker......I have got to build 1 of those
#3 - August 24, 2010, 10:39:30 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

ThunderDome

Trying to get the rest of the pics up. Something is haywire

As far as the paint, I first covered the whole thing in the standard Rustoleum high heat bbq black paint. Then used cheapo spray paint for color on top of that. I used a $5 deep fry thermo from walmart, and mounted to the drum. These aren't as nice looking as the high dollar gauges, but they're long and go to the center of the drum, and the reading is so much more accurate, and they're a 10th of the cost

The thermo shelf is just the right size. I dont recommend this Weber thermo by teh way, if I go more than 6 feet from the source, it loses it's signal.

#4 - August 24, 2010, 11:24:40 am

squealers

great job!

what's with the big "A" is it a sports thing?

#5 - August 24, 2010, 12:18:15 pm
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

Quiggs

Nice dude!!!  Good idea for the lid, it looks like it fits perfectly!!
#6 - August 24, 2010, 05:01:18 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

chefrob

great job!

what's with the big "A" is it a sports thing?

some people are just misguided............... ;)
#7 - August 24, 2010, 08:31:25 pm

Crash

Looks awesome...Bear Down!!
#8 - August 24, 2010, 08:35:54 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

azradtech

Love the "A". Like Crash said "bear down".
#9 - August 24, 2010, 08:45:52 pm
Dorothy
CBJ

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great looking Barrel, almost Perfect.

Yes Martin, it's a sports thing here in AZ.  It's the logo of the inferior Jr. College...  >:D  >:D  But we don't discriminate here...  ;D
#10 - August 24, 2010, 11:54:40 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mark

Man, I was impressed until I saw the "A". Please tell me there's a seat with a hole when you lift the dome to drop a devil deuce! >:D >:D

All kidding aside, great job!
#11 - August 25, 2010, 03:55:28 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: