AZ Barbeque.com

Re-igniting (HAHA) the age old debate--used drums

Discussion started on

skou

Dave, Weber kettle lid.

Find a used kettle off of CL.

steve
#16 - September 16, 2011, 11:30:35 am
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

azkitch

Yes, I'm gonna try mine on it, but it doesn't fit my other UDS...I'm anticipating... I'm also going to try my current UDS' lid...
How d'ya adjust the fit on them thangs, anyway!!? My UDS lid doesn't quite fit. I'm not sure if the barrel isn't round any longer, or if the lid is a fraction too small. I was trying to bend the channel of the lid outward, and it seemed to fit a bit better...
#17 - September 16, 2011, 02:33:43 pm
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:35:20 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

KidCurry

flip it and see if the weber lid fits the bottom.  mine did, so i cut the bottom open and used the weber lid with the drum upside down. 

Something must be out of wack on your drum all my lids fit fine, yours should be dentical to mine.
#18 - September 16, 2011, 04:19:00 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

skou

I was trying to bend the channel of the lid outward, and it seemed to fit a bit better...

That is what I did.  Yes, it will crack the baked-on finish.  Wear safety glasses!  I just used a crescent wrench all around the lid.

Sterling is cutting up the kettle, cutting a ring off the top 2 or 3 inches, dropping it in the drum, and sticking it in place with some hi-temp silicone sealer.  He's never had a ring move, either.

steve
#19 - September 16, 2011, 06:24:37 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Skouson

Dave,

If you want to go the bottom-rim-of-the-Weber-Kettle route, (which I highly recommend because you don't have to fung up the kettle lid) I've got about 5 extra kettle bottoms just sitting in the shop gathering dust and my wife's wrath.  If you want one, its yours.  You just have to come and get it.

Send me a PM.

Sterling
#20 - September 17, 2011, 04:29:50 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Elwood

I get my drums brand new at southwest container.    The paint holds up well to smoking temperatures and there is no liner to scrape out or anything to have to burn. Complete with a lid and ring for around 55 dollars, its well worth it if you live in the Phoenix or Tucson area.
Where is that place at I want to build a UDS ASAP !
#21 - September 17, 2011, 07:49:52 pm
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abe Lincoln

AZWildcat

Where is that place at I want to build a UDS ASAP !

Southwest Container
#22 - September 17, 2011, 08:41:46 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

FatCharlie

Great responses, guys. I appreciate it. Now on with the cleaning and burning. But I've got to finger out a lid for the thing...

And Maker's Mark is my current favorite ethanol. I've been told by friend to try Buffalo Trace. I can't find it in smaller sizes yet...

Buffalo Trace can be found at Total Wine.  One of my favorites.
#23 - September 18, 2011, 05:50:16 am

Mark

Buffalo Trace is tasty indeed, as is Maker's Mark. I love the selection of bourbons at Total Wine. Before the days of only allowing bottles of liquid holding 3 ounces or less on flights, I used to bring home bottles of bourbon unavailable here, like Fighting Cock, JD green label and Rebel Yell. Same thing with Brazilian cachaca. Now you can get both at Total Wine and Bevmo.
#24 - September 18, 2011, 09:47:11 am
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:17:42 am by Mark »
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mark

Hey, Kitch. Here's the drink for you. (when someone else is buying) ;)

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/20/bottle-of-whisky-sells-for-200000/?hpt=hp_c2
#25 - September 20, 2011, 08:18:53 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

route66

Here are some Drums I saw on C/L pretty reasonable.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/grd/2606366368.html
#26 - September 20, 2011, 12:06:31 pm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:42:34 am by route66 »

skou

OK guys, a "barrel" is a unit of measure.  33 gallons.

A typical beer keg, is a 1/2 barrel keg, or 16.5 gallons.

A drum can be a barrel sized drum.  (When we were kids, our father had 2 of them in the garage.  Held 66 gallons of dry wheat, in the 2 of them)

A "drum" is what we have here.  Specifically, 55 gallon drums.

(And yes, before some OLD mechanic says it, a barrel is also one of the throats on a carburetor.  Newer mechanics wouldn't even know what a carb is!) :D

steve
#27 - September 20, 2011, 09:19:28 pm

route66

Steve, I stand corrected and better informed, thank you!

A barrel is a hollow cylindrical container, traditionally made of vertical wooden staves and bound by wooden or metal hoops. Barrels often have a convex shape, bulging at the middle. This constant bulge makes it easier to roll a well-built wooden barrel on its side, changing directions with little friction. The barrel became a standard size of measure referring to a set capacity or weight of a given commodity.

A beer barrel had originally a capacity of 36 US gallons (140 L)

An ale barrel has capacity of 32 US gallons (120 L).

Basic Wine barrel is 31.5 US gallons (119 L), Bordeaux type 59.4 US gallons (225 L), Cognac type" 79.2 US gallons (300 L).

Oil has not actually been shipped in barrels since the introduction of oil tankers, but the 42-US- gallon size barrel is still used as a unit for measurement, pricing, and in tax and regulatory codes.

Barrel of crude oil or other petroleum product is 42 US gallons (34.9723 imp gal; 158.9873 L).

Barrels for chemicals and food is 55 US gallons (46 imp gal; 208 L).

A Barrel is also an important part of a gun! ???
#28 - September 21, 2011, 12:11:51 pm
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 12:21:18 pm by route66 »

SmokinNPeoria

Could someone post the container company information (address phone number). I tried to locate them by the name listed, however could only find SunWest Container in Phoenix.

I love the site, thanks.
#29 - March 03, 2012, 01:17:54 pm

AZWildcat

My bad Bill....it is Sunwest not Southwest.
#30 - March 03, 2012, 01:32:37 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: