AZ Barbeque.com

New Barrel Build.....any suggestions..NOW ALMOST DONE PICS

Discussion started on

KidCurry

Looking good!! Where did you get that barrel?  Unlined new is perfect!!
#16 - March 29, 2010, 09:41:30 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AZWildcat

The barrel is from Sunwest Containers, offices in Phx and Tsn. Seemed like a deal for 48.00 plus tax.  

I think you might have problems with the draw with only two opening in the lids and two elbows on them.  I originally tried with only 4 holes on the lid and had to drill 2 more to have the right control on temps.  

I can't tell in the pictures, but I assume that you have more holes on the bottom then just that one valve??  you will need at least three, I have four at every 90 degrees.

As far as a basket, the 18" replacement grate and some expanded wire will make a big enough basket for a long cook.  But be careful when wraping the expand metal, as Jim Mentioned it can bite back.  Then get some stainless bolts to raise it up off the bottom to allow airflow.

Al in all, it is looking good.  

Thx. I do have 2 other 1" holes on the bottom, so 2 that are 1" and 1 that is 3/4 ball valve.  I figured out that drilling too few holes will work better than too many, but that maybe the lid will need another 3/4 nipple (I just like saying nipple). I've liberated some fridge magnets from work, so that will help in the airflow.

I have a 14" Smokey Joe wannabe (Thermos Brand) that I might use as my fire box. I'll drill plenty of 1" holes to make it look like a WSM fire ring, 14" grate, and have a catch pan underneath it all. Would a 14" be too narrow for heat distribution causing hot spots?

Almost ready for it's first burn, no big burn out, just a nice 300-400 degree roast.
#17 - March 29, 2010, 11:20:15 am
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 11:22:57 am by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

Seemed like a deal for 48.00 plus tax.  

For a new and unlined barrel great deal if you ask me!!  Getting the old lining out is a PAIN!!
#18 - March 29, 2010, 11:51:36 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AZWildcat

For a new and unlined barrel great deal if you ask me!!  Getting the old lining out is a PAIN!!

The nightmare stories i've heard were worth spending the $$ on. They had 3 in stock. Saw some nice Mac Daddy 85 gal(I think) that were in stock but they were $160, too rich for my blood. But they were niiiiiiice!
#19 - March 29, 2010, 12:24:16 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

toys4dlr

That is where I got my barrel, but the price must have come down.  I paid around 60 bucks or so. 
#20 - March 29, 2010, 04:04:15 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

Yeah. $48 is killer! I'd go with more exhaust too. I'm tryin' to figger out how to mount a stack, but still use my locking ring, because my lid still doesn't fit quite right. I've been trying to bend the channel out some, and it seems to wanna work, but I don't have a good way of bending that channel. So I've barely moved it. Maybe I just need a different clamp. This one snaps with a long lever that flips back and forth across the top. And one more time, thanks to Ralph for donating the barrel to me. YAY RALPH!
#21 - March 31, 2010, 12:10:27 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: