AZ Barbeque.com

My UDS Build

Discussion started on

shortbus_35

I bought one of the kits Joshd52 had for sale earlier in the year and finally got around to getting most of the build done this holiday weekend.  Josh's kit had the barrel, lid, two cooking grates, a fire basket and integrated ash pan.  I know everyone always asks for pictures, so I included a few.  I replaced the standard bolts with 1" U-Bolts as a personal preference and will try the strip magnet idea I saw on BBQ Brethren for the side vents.  I still used the same 3/4" ball valve and added a 2" stack.

Now that I have done the initial burnout I will attempt to sand down the exterior, prime it and fire it up the Maroon and Gold Paint, with the new ASU pitchfork logo.

Thanks - hope you guys enjoy!
#1 - June 01, 2011, 12:27:35 pm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:46:08 pm by shortbus_35 »

Quiggs

Nice, be sure to post finished pic's!!
#2 - June 01, 2011, 12:32:34 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

AZWildcat

Chuck, you by chance have a better pic of the fire basket? I need to make 2 new ones and i'm looking for better ideas, preferably w/ an ash pan. Also, the fridge magnets (not sure if that's what you mean by strip magnets) work well for a cook or two, but melt away. Even though I grab them everywhere I go, I can't seem to keep a steady supply. I got a whole mess of thick ones from Harbor Freight that work great, and won't melt. Nice looking build, should give you years of great service.

Also, I don't know if you've run a UDS before, but watch the distance of top of your firebox to the food grate. Looking at yours, you might be running your food grate too low. Rule of thumb is 24" minimum, but I find it necessary to run a diffuser since 24" is almost impossible to achieve without lid modification. What you end up with is a grill.

Some guys here have more experience w/ UDS's than me, but on my 2 units, that what i've found to be true. Might save you some charred meat and wasted $$.
#3 - June 01, 2011, 01:21:56 pm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 01:29:46 pm by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

shortbus_35

Also, I don't know if you've run a UDS before, but watch the distance of top of your firebox to the food grate. Looking at yours, you might be running your food grate too low. Rule of thumb is 24" minimum, but I find it necessary to run a diffuser since 24" is almost impossible to achieve without lid modification. What you end up with is a grill.

Some guys here have more experience w/ UDS's than me, but on my 2 units, that what i've found to be true. Might save you some charred meat and wasted $$.

Thanks for the advice.
Here are some better pictures of the basket.  If you want send me an email and I can take some more pictures tonight and send them over to you.

That was a very good catch - I moved the grate down from 7" below the lip to 12" with the hopes of finding a Weber lid or breaking down and getting a lid like FatCharlie. 

This is my first UDS build, so that is some great advice on the diffuser. 
Can i buy a good one or will I have to fabricate one myself? 
Do I want to measure from the top of the fire basket or somewhere in the middle? 

#4 - June 01, 2011, 02:15:52 pm

azkitch

Hey, Chuck. I love the U-bolts idea--perhaps integrate some utensil hangers with the ends of the U bolts, so you don't have thigh rippers hanging out of the side of the drum...I thought the same thing about fire to grate distance as Dan. And like he said, 24" from the top of the fire box leaves little room...I believe my grate is about 23" from the lower 1/3 of my charcoal box...
And Dan, I used J bolts in stainless to attach the 14" diameter X 9" high expanded metal ring to a Weber charcoal grate, with the bottom edge of the J bolts right thru a 15" lipped pizza pan. There's a pic here somewhere...I'll find it and make a link.

OK>>Here are several firebox w/ash pan configurations. I like the one with the carabiner, except that I'd expect it to melt...If I had any welding skills, or a decent way to cut expanded metal--cutting that w/Dremel sux!--I'd use X metal for the bottom. The stuff seems impervious to heat!
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bds-and-uds-smokers/uds-build/
#5 - June 01, 2011, 02:26:49 pm
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:36:35 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azkitch

And get a load of Dans firebox treatment in this thread...I love this thing!
D'OH...I hit save, didn't post the link...
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bds-and-uds-smokers/uds-fire-box-dimensions/msg66436/#msg66436
#6 - June 01, 2011, 02:31:06 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AZWildcat

They have worked well indeed. I have found that at about the 8-10 mark I need to stir the coals to unclog the ash. My diffuser is just a grate, no bigger than the firebox. Single sheet of foil wrapped around the top of the diffuser grate w a few dozen holes punched thru it from a temp probe. It allows the heat to go around and thru and very easy clean up from the drippings. Minimal hot spots too.
#7 - June 01, 2011, 05:56:18 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Crash

Nice looking UDS.  I sure hope you started the fire with the ASU hat.   :D ;)
#8 - June 02, 2011, 12:33:29 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

New!
Nice looking UDS.  I sure hope you started the fire with the ASU hat.   :D ;)
Now I was trying to behave myself and leave all that ASU stuff alone! Count on Crash to stir the pot! :D

Now Chuck, I truly love my UDS's, but the only thing they are good for WITHOUT a diffuser is chicken grillin / crispin. Don't overthink the diffuser, you just want a slight barrier or heat shield. Pizza pan w/ holes drilled thru or the like will suit you fine. My duffuser with a foil covered grate serves well, and aids in super easy clean up. Remember, it will grease and drippings, so prepare your self for that. You don't want to put an old one in there, only to have the stuff burn off during the new cook.
#9 - June 02, 2011, 08:11:05 am
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:21:39 am by AZWildcat »
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked

Members: