AZ Barbeque.com

long wood burn on the UDS?

Discussion started on

AZWildcat

For those of you w/ UDS's, inc KidCurry, how do you get long burning smoke? Unlike a WSM where you can toss some wood in from time to time, is there a secret for longer UDS wood burns, more consistent smoke over several hours? I'd rather not keep having to toss in wood every few hrs for smoke. Have you experimented w/ longer wood soaks (I have w/ no success) or bigger chunks? Maybe placing the wood lower in the minion pile (I have also w/ limited success). Jus curious....
#1 - July 13, 2010, 09:52:03 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

I place thumb sized chucks of wood throughout the charcoal basket.

Kinda like this...Its hard to see but the woods ends up like the chocolate chips in a cookie.  :-\  Make sense?

I think it is very easy to over smoke something on a UDS...too much wood and it all gets trapped in there.  A little goes a long way I believe.  Even if you cant see the smoke...if its burning its still there.
#2 - July 13, 2010, 11:04:28 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Crash

I agree with Ralph regarding wood smoke, a little goes a long way.  Oversmoke something and it is terrible.  I have no experience with drums, but I have a ton of experience on oversmoking.

It's a rare occasion when more than 3-4 baseball-sized chunks of wood go on our coals.
#3 - July 13, 2010, 11:21:11 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

AZWildcat

Oh yeah, i've learned my lesson on oversmoking! Normally i'll just put my chunks throughout the basket too, thx! After a few hrs you just really don't see it anymore, but i'm sure its there!
#4 - July 14, 2010, 08:20:29 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Quiggs

OMG Ralph's secret is chocolate!!  Would have never gone there.....
#5 - July 14, 2010, 08:14:34 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

KidCurry

:D
#6 - July 14, 2010, 08:36:08 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Members: