AZ Barbeque.com

Lid question

Discussion started on

SWestBBQ

Ok, being that I am going to start building, I wanted to tap into all the vast knowledge here...again.  :) What is the better style drum to get, well to be more specific, what type of lid would be better? Should I get one with or without a bung hole? Is it just a matter of preference or does it actually effect the operation? Just want to make sure I get it right.
#1 - August 31, 2012, 01:11:19 pm
Perfect Q = Tender succulent meat with a savory rub, cooked low/slow with aromatic wood. Sauce is just another condiment.

Weber Smokey Joe, 2 Weber Silver Kettles, Brinkman Smoke 'N Grill w/mods, New Braunfels Silver Smoker w/mods, Beginning my first UDS build.

AZWildcat

I have 1 of each. For the most part it really does not matter. I use the 1 with the bung hole when I want to cook something at a higher temp.
#2 - August 31, 2012, 04:25:39 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

skou

If you have a Weber kettle, use THAT lid.

If you set your grills at 2 inches below, and 12 inches below the top,
youi just got another cooking surface.

If you use a flat lid, you can't do the 2 inch measurement,
and also can't use the lower grate.

I've been using a Weber kettle lid, for 3 years now,
and would NOT go back.  Ever!

steve
#3 - September 25, 2012, 10:55:44 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

FatCharlie

I used the stock drum lid but found it didin't provide enough room and the fit is poor.

All of mu UDS builds have utilized a "cone" top.  A little work to get them to fit, but well worth the trouble IMO.

#4 - September 28, 2012, 09:40:56 pm

Members: