AZ Barbeque.com

homebuilt smoker outta some barrels,

Discussion started on

force

Hmmmm... Utah?
#16 - November 18, 2009, 10:16:12 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

jmcrig

Steel mills in Utah. Learn something new everyday.
#17 - November 18, 2009, 11:04:28 pm

AzJohnnyC

Those twelve dollar barrels aren't food grade, I don't think, and have had ??? in them. Can there ever be cleaned enough to cook with? Anyone know?
#18 - November 19, 2009, 11:59:47 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

jmcrig

I would think a good hot burn out would cover it. I've seen others on craigslist from time to time selling food grade barrels for about the same price. This guy is on there all the time. Maybe someone here has first hand experience with this guy and burn outs.
#19 - November 19, 2009, 01:07:20 pm

RangerJurena

The first barrell I purchased was from this cat or some other. $15.00 I think it was, and I drove across phoenix from Gilbert.

Barrell was food grade, supposedly had pineapples or something in it.  Basically a coat of grease in the drum and a red liner of some type.  I burned about 1/2 cord of wood in it. I got it so hot, it was see through.

Upon completion....The red liner remained.  Based on the BBQ-Brethren reports, you then have to get in and use a wire wheel to get the red liner out.  You don't have to, but your feeding friends and family off the thing.  Well, I'm not going to look like a chimney sweep for anyone, so I got rid of that barrell, besides what is my time worth? $15.00 + many hours + gas to pick it up = equals a new barrell.

They can be purchased here for about $55-$60.  Brand new.

http://www.sunwestcontainer.com/
#20 - November 19, 2009, 05:52:34 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

Spicy Mike

Hi guys, bit late on this topic but I cringed when I saw the writing "fuel" on the barrel. Food quality barrels are the only ones to use for cooking with. I made my own drum smoker last year  got the barrels from a local winery (Calona Wines in the Okanagan, BC). It too had a liner in it that just wouldn't burn out so I had it sandblasted. Worked great and left me with bare untainted steel safe to to cook and eat outta!
#21 - December 19, 2009, 04:08:31 pm
Salad!?! Salad ain't food, it's what we FEED food!

skou

Hi guys, bit late on this topic but I cringed when I saw the writing "fuel" on the barrel. Food quality barrels are the only ones to use for cooking with. I made my own drum smoker last year  got the barrels from a local winery (Calona Wines in the Okanagan, BC). It too had a liner in it that just wouldn't burn out so I had it sandblasted. Worked great and left me with bare untainted steel safe to to cook and eat outta!

Fuel?  Says racing fuel on the side.  Unless it was 100% ethanol, or possibly 100% methanol, it's going to have some NASTY chemicals in it, like tetra-ethyl lead.  Sorry, you CAN'T burn that one out.

The propylene glycol drums I'm using, had a biodegradable liquid in them, and that liquid breaks down at less than 400 degree temps.  Propylene glycol is also non-toxic.

steve
#22 - December 30, 2009, 06:25:47 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Spicy Mike

D'oh! I stopped reading at fuel. I feel sorry after all that work was done, looks like he did a decent job of it too. I definitely wouldn't risk wasting any time or meat in the thing
#23 - December 31, 2009, 09:04:08 am

Soncho

Hey all, I have built several out of large propane tanks that have turned out really good (ive been told). Im new to the cooking but have been building for quite a while. Ill try to get some pic posted up soon and get your ideas.
#24 - April 06, 2010, 06:09:30 pm

Soncho

Please forgive a dumb question for a newbe,,,,, what does UDS and BDS stand for? ( then i can use the right and seem smarter LOL)
#25 - April 06, 2010, 06:13:33 pm

jmcrig

Really not being a smartass, but, Big Drum Smoker and Ugly Drum Smoker. ;D ;D
#26 - April 06, 2010, 06:18:29 pm

Soncho

Cool, no worries, just wanted to make sure get this all correct.  ;D  hate to be new and a dumb ass too
#27 - April 06, 2010, 06:34:13 pm

jmcrig

Cool, no worries, just wanted to make sure get this all correct.  ;D  hate to be new and a dumb ass too
That's what's great about being new, you can ask anything. If you were seasoned, you'd get your question answered and flamed. But, it would be all in fun. ;D ;D
#28 - April 06, 2010, 06:38:04 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Kurt,  Check out our Glossary section, a lot of terms are broken down in there as we all have been where you are.

http://www.azbarbeque.com/glossary.php

It's our way of helping out the new members..

Enjoy!!
#29 - April 06, 2010, 11:52:38 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Spicy Mike

Welcome Soncho, propane tanks are safe to use as long as you take the precautions of filling with water prior to cutting them. You probably already knew that since you've made a couple already and still have all your digits to type this blog :D
I've thrown around the propane tank idea before too since the steel is a nice thick gauge and better for retaining heat.  I'd love to see pics of your design.
#30 - April 07, 2010, 07:22:45 pm

Members: