AZ Barbeque.com

Guess what....

Discussion started on

skou

I personally think Mesquite sucks for smoking......same for Kiawe. 

Crash, I hope you buy ALL your pork products in Honolulu for that, AND take them home on the Pali highway! :D

(Guys, a mean menehune will get you if you take pork over the Pali.)

On a different note, I remember seeing big massive Huli-huli chicken roasts taking place, advertising "kiave" cooked chicken, and seeing the BIG stack of MEXICAN 40 pound bags of mesquite chunk charcoal.  (Same kind I have a big stack of, incedentally.)

Crash, if you haven't cut up the second drum, look at my brother Sterling's (Skouson here) posts, for his directions to set up a real UDS.  Also, look for a weber kettle as a donor rig, on CL or wherever you can find a semi-rusted one.

With the weber-based UDS, you effectively get another 10 inches in height.  The Weber lid will (almost) fit a regular 55 gal drum.  You can easily run 2 cooking grates.  And, with the patented "fatboy" mod, you don't need to bend way down to adjust the heat.

steve
#16 - August 09, 2011, 10:08:38 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Crash

Crash, I hope you buy ALL your pork products in Honolulu for that, AND take them home on the Pali highway! :D

(Guys, a mean menehune will get you if you take pork over the Pali.)

On a different note, I remember seeing big massive Huli-huli chicken roasts taking place, advertising "kiave" cooked chicken, and seeing the BIG stack of MEXICAN 40 pound bags of mesquite chunk charcoal.  (Same kind I have a big stack of, incedentally.)

Crash, if you haven't cut up the second drum, look at my brother Sterling's (Skouson here) posts, for his directions to set up a real UDS.  Also, look for a weber kettle as a donor rig, on CL or wherever you can find a semi-rusted one.

With the weber-based UDS, you effectively get another 10 inches in height.  The Weber lid will (almost) fit a regular 55 gal drum.  You can easily run 2 cooking grates.  And, with the patented "fatboy" mod, you don't need to bend way down to adjust the heat.

steve

That's the old Pali HWY....the new one is fine to travel over with pork.  Still, I try to get over the Pali as fast as possible and I don't mess with that crap at night.  I'd like to keep Pele and her ex BF as far away from me as possible.

Thanks for the tip on the UDS, I'll check it out.
#17 - August 09, 2011, 10:43:25 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Skouson

Crash, if you haven't cut up the second drum, look at my brother Sterling's (Skouson here) posts, for his directions to set up a real UDS. 

Umm... Although I really like my UDS builds, the original ideas were not mine, and I make no claim they are the way to make a "real UDS".  It's just what works for us. (Especially the fatman mod.)

Skouson
#18 - August 10, 2011, 04:15:58 am
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Members: