AZ Barbeque.com

First UDS Project

Discussion started on

z98dog

With many thanks to Sterling Skouson who graciously donated the drum, I am building my first UDS.

I picked up the drum from Sterling, made sure my Weber 22 1/2" lid would fit, cut the drum head open, and washed it out.

The drum

Nice and clean, ready for a burn

with the lid

I drilled the bottom holes, filled the drum halfway with cardboard, twigs, and small branches trimmed from a dead lemon tree, and lit 'er up

#1 - October 02, 2011, 04:38:06 pm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:00:01 pm by z98dog »
Brinkman Vertical - NBBD offset Horizonal - Custom cold smoke generator - Kingsford Oval Kettle - Pitmaster iQue 110 stoker - Weber OTS Kettle - Customized gas Pizza grill - Mini WSM-style smoker - UDS

Mark

Slick! I can wait to see it in action. ;D
#2 - October 02, 2011, 06:43:46 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

skou

I noticed a few tiny rust spots in there.  GOOD!  That means you got all the oil out.

Sterling's a nice guy, most of the time.  I think he really enjoys getting people into this smoking game.  He got me hooked.

steve
#3 - October 02, 2011, 07:29:10 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

KidCurry

your gonna love that UDS...mine, even without the guru, love to run at about 240.
#4 - October 02, 2011, 07:49:50 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

Mark

It must be in your blood.

;)
#5 - October 02, 2011, 07:51:51 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

z98dog

Yeah Steve,

Sterling made sure to say that about the rust. It should have been clean...I only washed and rinsed about SIX times. :police: Chemist, remember?

It was nice to meet Sterling. He is a great ambassador for the smoking community here in Phoenix.

I am looking forward to the UDS. I love the mini, so I am sure the control will be similar if not better on the UDS.
#6 - October 02, 2011, 07:54:42 pm
Brinkman Vertical - NBBD offset Horizonal - Custom cold smoke generator - Kingsford Oval Kettle - Pitmaster iQue 110 stoker - Weber OTS Kettle - Customized gas Pizza grill - Mini WSM-style smoker - UDS

skou

Control on the UDS is just about as easy as it could be.  If you make it properly, it will be airtight, and that is the key for control.

On my old ProQ, it took all day for it to cool down after a burn.  The UDS is cold in 1 or 2 hours.

I ususlly just keep my charcoal basket full, and dump some lit charcoal on top of the unlit stuff, to get it going.  If I leave the lid off, the temps get up to 3 or 4 hundred, quite quickly, but by putting the lid on, and closing 2 of the intakes, the temps drop right down.

steve
#7 - October 02, 2011, 08:25:21 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Skouson

Doug, it was a pleasure meeting you yesterday. 

Looks like that drum cleaned up quite well.  Too bad you'll be getting it dirty so soon.

Good luck,

Sterling

p.s. Thank you for the kind words.

S
#8 - October 03, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Elwood

Nice UDS Z98dog lookin good ! Btw Skouson thats a hellva a line up of Q equipment you got in your sig ! Would love to see a pic of the pizza gasser though!
#9 - October 05, 2011, 08:43:01 am
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abe Lincoln

Skouson

I'll see if I can get some photos up over the weekend.

Sterling
#10 - October 05, 2011, 02:44:56 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Elwood

Cool !
#11 - October 06, 2011, 08:37:55 am
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abe Lincoln

z98dog

Thanks everyone. Here's an update.

I got all the hardware installed. Three vents at the bottom (2 by 3/4" pipe nipples and one pipe with an elbow up to a 3/4" ball valve.) I had a pretty good thermo from a previous failed project, so I installed that.

The things I am pretty pleased with are handles and charcoal basket parts from a portable gas grill I found at Goodwill ($10 and I get handles, an ash catcher by using the lid, and a charcoal grate for the basket so I can still use the Weber Kettle)

I loaded up a medium sized basket I have for my offset with a mix of Royal lump and some mequite lump from Smart and Final and put it on a test burn tonight. It is holding temps like a champ...right between 225 to 240.

I also ran the biscuit test to check for hot and cold spots. There was a slight hot spot in the very center, but everything cooked pretty evenly. (And dang! mesquite baked biscuits taste yummy!)

I will get some pics this weekend. It is hard to get pics by the porch light after dark. ;D
#12 - October 06, 2011, 08:57:02 pm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:22:46 am by z98dog »

Elwood

Sounds good ! Can't wait to see the pics !
#13 - October 06, 2011, 10:59:58 pm

z98dog

I put the finishing touches on the UDS today. Now I can call it a UDS instead of a project. I still have some mods planned, so it might never be complete, but I will be able to enjoy the first of many cooks.

Here are some pics

The completed UDS-Definitely qualifies as UGLY  8)

A lid hanger mod

Thermometer cable port and a place to hold the thermos

Mega-charcoal basket

I plan a short cook tomorrow then a pork butt next weekend.
#14 - October 08, 2011, 02:46:35 pm
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:57:56 pm by z98dog »

GOODolBOY

What is the purpose for having the tube that runs up the side of the UDS?
#15 - November 04, 2011, 08:22:46 am

Members: