AZ Barbeque.com

Firebox placement in a UDS

Discussion started on

punkndrublic760

I've got 4 holes drilled around the bottom of my drum.  I have been placing the firbox close to one of the holes so my fire box is up against the side of my drum.  Should I not do that and move it to the center, or should i keep it close to one of the holes?
#1 - May 10, 2010, 10:47:07 pm
Big Rack BBQ
2-UDS
1- Pro Q

KidCurry

In the center.
#2 - May 11, 2010, 08:39:42 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

AZWildcat

If its not in the center your heat will not have even distribution. The air will get to it in the center (my basket is only 14" in diam), so don't worry about it. I have 6 - 3/4 " holes around my base, and it wasn't until that I drilled #5 and #6 that my heat became easier to control, using good ol fridge magnets. You need all that air in some weather, and it's easier to close up a hole if you don't need it, than create more air flow when you REALLY need it.
#3 - May 11, 2010, 09:31:43 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

KidCurry

If its not in the center your heat will not have even distribution. The air will get to it in the center (my basket is only 14" in diam), so don't worry about it. I have 6 - 3/4 " holes around my base, and it wasn't until that I drilled #5 and #6 that my heat became easier to control, using good ol fridge magnets. You need all that air in some weather, and it's easier to close up a hole if you don't need it, than create more air flow when you REALLY need it.

Holy crap that a lot of holes!!  :D Even at 20 degrees four 1 in. holes are enough for mine and if I open them all my UDS will run away from me.  
I tried the magnet thing did not like it.   Four 3x3/4 in. pipes, one valve and 3 caps seems to work best for me.

...but yes basket in the center, for sure.
#4 - May 11, 2010, 01:45:17 pm
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

punkndrublic760

ok cool guys thanx, i will try that on my next cook!!!!
#5 - May 11, 2010, 07:13:12 pm
Big Rack BBQ
2-UDS
1- Pro Q

AZWildcat

Love the magnet thing! The only time I've used all the holes (6 @ 3/4",inc 1 ball valve) is when I'm low on fuel, gives me a last kick.
#6 - May 11, 2010, 09:14:49 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

Members: