AZ Barbeque.com

Double UDS

Discussion started on

Bill Bain

My UDS works great but I need more cooking space so I was thinking of putting another barrel on top of the current UDS. I am thinking vertical not horizontal like some have done.  I remember seeing one or two over the years and the pitmasters using them said they were great.  I was wondering if anyone on this forum has done that and if there were any problems that they encountered that they would share?  I was also thinking of hanging a small pig in it but was concerned with the fat dripping and the possiblity of a fire.  I have the diffuser plate and it is great at keeping the temp. even and protecting the center of the fire.
#1 - March 16, 2012, 08:14:00 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

toys4dlr

Bill are you like 7 feet tall.  :D  Trying to get to the bottom might prove challenging, but I would like to see a picture.

Why not have two, so you can run at two different temps or such????
#2 - March 16, 2012, 10:19:33 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Bill Bain

No I'm not 7 feet tall, I will cut a door in the side of the UDS that is on top.  I figure I can add 4 racks to the top UDS so give me 6 total.
#3 - March 16, 2012, 10:58:30 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

toys4dlr

How is the heat going to be from the bottom rack to the top.  Air flow??

IF you add extra racks, you are increasing the distance from the fire and adding a larger amount of cold mass.  I still want to see one, just pointing out some potential issues. 
#4 - March 16, 2012, 10:41:32 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Bill Bain

I am hoping that someone has done this and will chime in with their experience.  I have talked to two guys who did this a while back, that's what gave me the idea.  They both used a propane burner at the bottom but switched to charcoal for competition.
#5 - March 17, 2012, 07:06:45 am
Kilted Pig BBQ
"Real men wear kilts"

Skouson

Bill, I think you may be better served by building another regular height USD and use both when you have high volume production needs.  Trying to maintain consistant heat for the whole height of a double barrel build will be problematic at best.  You are going to have some serious stability issues, especially in moderate to high winds.

Skouson
#6 - March 17, 2012, 09:17:48 am
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Members: