AZ Barbeque.com

Dolly or Rollers

Discussion started on

shortbus_35

I just finished my re-assembly after finally getting around to primer coating the Drum.  I'd like to store my drum out of sight in the back yard, do any of you UDS gurus have suggestions for a mobile base?

I was thinking about picking this up, but at $50 it's a little steep. 
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_18567_18567

I know one of the "Golden Rules" is do not drill through the bottom.

Appreciate the assistance.

-Chuck
#1 - September 06, 2011, 08:13:13 am

Mark

Boy, that drum dolly would be ideal. The extra $$ is probably worth it from the perfect fit, not to mention the admiration you'd get from other UDS owners. ;)

Here's something more affordable. Of course you'd need a layer of something to heatproof it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/200-lb-capacity-movers-dolly-95353.html
#2 - September 06, 2011, 08:37:41 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

toys4dlr

We sprung for the dolly, as it give nice clearance from the patio and I dont leave burn circle on the ground.   ;D
#3 - September 06, 2011, 10:26:36 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Skouson

I've used both the drum dolly and a hand truck (moving dolly). I'd recommend the hand truck.  It is more stable. The drum dolly is intended for full, very heavy drums. Lightly loaded with a UDS they have a tendency to tip if you hit a piece of gravel or a bump in the patio.  A hand truck can be found cheaply on craigslist.  I just looked and saw a couple for $10 or so.

Sterling Skouson
#4 - September 06, 2011, 03:40:04 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

skou

I've used a two wheeler (Hand truck or dolly)at work all the time, and have used those 4 wheel dollies under something.  My opinion.  (Yes, I know what an opinion is worth.)  Get the hand truck.  Get a few feet of plumbers tape, and bolt the dolly to the UDS.

I was wheeling an oxy-acetylene rig around Sterling (that guy ^ up there)'s yard, with a hand truck.  Because of the LARGE wheels, it was doable.  Top heavy, but doable.  (We've since put the welding rig on a 4 wheeled wagon, and it is MUCH easier to move.)

Sterling used to have a UDS mounted on a hand truck, and it was VERY EASY to move, even over loose or uneven dirt.  Using one of those caster dollies, well, it's going to tip over, or lose the base.

steve

#5 - September 09, 2011, 08:55:23 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

shortbus_35

I've used a two wheeler (Hand truck or dolly)at work all the time, and have used those 4 wheel dollies under something.  My opinion.  (Yes, I know what an opinion is worth.)  Get the hand truck.  Get a few feet of plumbers tape, and bolt the dolly to the UDS.

I was wheeling an oxy-acetylene rig around Sterling (that guy ^ up there)'s yard, with a hand truck.  Because of the LARGE wheels, it was doable.  Top heavy, but doable.  (We've since put the welding rig on a 4 wheeled wagon, and it is MUCH easier to move.)

Sterling used to have a UDS mounted on a hand truck, and it was VERY EASY to move, even over loose or uneven dirt.  Using one of those caster dollies, well, it's going to tip over, or lose the base.

steve

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice and first hand experience. 

Steve - I assume by Plumber's Tape you are referring to something like this

I think I am going to end up going like this inexpensive dolly to wheel it around the back yard.

Maybe on the next build, I'll spring for the dolly casters, dome lid and all the other goodies.

#6 - September 12, 2011, 11:49:21 am

Quiggs

This worked for me, cut roll top off to get out of the lid area and then used rounded corner to weld on new center handle...
Moves around very well,  put 1" spacer under front end to keep it off the ground and bolts hold rear part up same amount.

Quiggs
#7 - September 12, 2011, 05:16:22 pm
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

skou

Chuck, right on both counts.

That stuff "was" called plumber's tape, when I was a kid.

What Sterling did, was to get a cheap turnbuckle, and bend the loops out into hooks, cut a piece of plumber's tape to fit, and wrap the tape around the UDS and the dolly upright pipes, and tighten the turnbuckle until it was snug.

Quick, cheap, easy, and completely removable.

steve
#8 - September 12, 2011, 06:37:34 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Members: