AZ Barbeque.com

Cleaning

Discussion started on

RangerJurena

The ProQ was getting all cleaned up today. I might be putting it up for sale.

Seems that the "gloss" on my lid had become dull any suggestions on how to get that to shine?  It was sitting out on the pavers next to my UDS, so it was in the sun.
#1 - September 07, 2009, 01:37:04 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

jim

we clean the WSM's with ez off oven cleaner -- we tried a small area before covering the whole thing. The inside we cleanned to new -- will not do that again -- changed the cooking in the WSM.
Greased Lightning works well to
jim
#2 - September 22, 2009, 11:26:22 am

force

what jim said
#3 - September 22, 2009, 09:52:43 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

skou

The ProQ was getting all cleaned up today. I might be putting it up for sale.

Seems that the "gloss" on my lid had become dull any suggestions on how to get that to shine?  It was sitting out on the pavers next to my UDS, so it was in the sun.

Hey Ranger, my new Excel has the same problem.  Interesting!

Oh, this thing cooks AWESOMELY!  Thanks for selling it.  Did a rack of spares today, and itwas 10% of the temp adjusting that the Kettle was.  (Only little issue, I figured that one gallon was enough water.  Nope.)

steve
#4 - November 22, 2009, 09:41:41 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Crash

We had the same problem with our Pro Q' and our solution was to keep them in the garage.  The AZ elements really batter the hell out of the finish, but it wont hurt the cooker at all. 

I suspect a Pro Q cover for outside storage would work just fine as well.
#5 - November 22, 2009, 09:46:08 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

RangerJurena

Hey Steve,

Glad your enjoying the Pro-Q.  As I mentioned, I probably did not give it a fair shake and take the time to try and dial it in.  They seem to be quite popular and are bringing home some hardware at the competitions.

Enjoy those ribs!
#6 - November 22, 2009, 11:26:20 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

skou

Just so you guys know, my previous experience was with a rusted Brinkmann type smoker, with no adjustable vents, and my old Weber kettle, which did have the adjustments, but no real "indirect."

This thing, with it's massive firebox, and the massive water pan, is "set and forget" for up to 6 hours.

Ribs were quite good!

steve
#7 - November 23, 2009, 01:28:21 am
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

AzJohnnyC

Your cookers wouldn't be getting that way if you'd just build a shrine and keep them in there! :)   That's what I did.
#8 - November 23, 2009, 06:49:21 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

skou

Hey Steve,

Glad your enjoying the Pro-Q.  As I mentioned, I probably did not give it a fair shake and take the time to try and dial it in.  They seem to be quite popular and are bringing home some hardware at the competitions.

Enjoy those ribs!

Well, RJ, I'm now a proud UDS owner.  And, this one's brand new.  (Well, the lid and one grate are from my old Weber kettle.)  My brother and I cranked out 2 of them in about 2.5 hours.  He now has a weber kettle, 2 UDSs, and a ProQ.  I've only got the UDS, ProQ, Brinkmann mini-bullet, W Kettle, and a gas grill that I only used charcoal in.

[me]Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm addicted to getting more BBQ equipment.

[You all]  Hi, Steve...

steve
#9 - December 19, 2009, 02:12:57 pm

tbonejc

[me]Hi, I'm Steve, and I'm addicted to getting more BBQ equipment.

[You all]  Hi, Steve...

steve

Is this a bad thing?  I think not!  :)
#10 - December 19, 2009, 03:01:11 pm

skou

Is this a bad thing?  I think not!  :)

Well, I'm runnin' out of room!  Landlord is going to freak.  "You are cooking for, uh, you!  Why do you need 5 BBQs?  Me, because I can!

Sounds like it's time to move!

steve
#11 - December 19, 2009, 10:53:16 pm

ron b

i got a pro q and wsm and a and a but honestly i go by feel and looks so give me a $10 smoker/grill and I'm happy and should come out fairly good. but i see thepro q having that problem because of the sun is bleaching/staining the finish which hasvery little clear components to it if possible keep them in a garage or shed just an opinion.
happy cookin
rjb 
#12 - December 20, 2009, 12:32:11 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

skou

i got a pro q and wsm and a and a but honestly i go by feel and looks so give me a $10 smoker/grill and I'm happy and should come out fairly good. but i see thepro q having that problem because of the sun is bleaching/staining the finish which hasvery little clear components to it if possible keep them in a garage or shed just an opinion.
happy cookin
rjb 

Ron, my ProQ isn't discoloring.  It is looking somewhat dusky, on the top.  Not fading just getting "flat" looking.  The paint job is not as shiny as it could be. 

Today, I saw my brother's ProQ, and it looked the same.  I wouldn't worry.  It's just a bit hazy, not anything to worry about.

Hey, these were designed in the UK.  You seen their sunlight?  Not quite up to Az standards.   (I swear, I've seen British women rusting!)
(Sorry, Ian!)
steve
#13 - December 20, 2009, 12:41:11 am

ron b

dusky means you are using it thats a good thing ;) pick up some 3m compound hand rub it out ...hmm didi say that ::) ::) :P   just dont clean inside thats the flavor getter i do believe someone said they cleaned it with something inside bad luk 4 me.
rjb
#14 - December 20, 2009, 01:08:25 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Skouson

Not to hijack this thread, but here's what I do to clean grill grates:

1.  Get two large plastic garbage bags.

2.  Place one or more grills in the first bag.  I've done up to 4 at a time.

3.  Place first bag with grills inside second bag.

4.  Pour 1 cup of household ammonia into 1st bag.

5.  Seal both bags.

6.  Place in the sun, OUTSIDE!

7.  Wait 3 days.

8.  Open bags in well ventilated place.

9.  Wash grills with soap and hot water.  Most of the crud will just fall off.  Light scrubbing gets the rest.  Your grill will shine again.

Skouson
#15 - December 30, 2009, 01:15:26 pm
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

Members: