AZ Barbeque.com

Charcoal basket enlightment

Discussion started on

Skouson

This is not my idea. I found it on another site.

I've built about 12 UDS's over the past several months.  I'd always bent the expanded metal for the charcoal basket with the long axis of the metal diamond holes oriented horizontally.  This required a tremendous of effort and considerable and frequent use of blue language.

Yesterday, I made two baskets, orienting the long axis of the diamond holes vertically.  It was vastly easier to bend and fasten with bolts.

Mission accomplished, only a little bloodletting, and no blasphemy!

Wish I'd learned this months ago.

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - April 11, 2010, 10:15:14 am
Green Weber One-touch Platinum 22.5"
Green Weber One-touch Gold
Black Weber Silver Kettle 22.5"
Red Weber One-Touch Silver 22.5" (The Redhead)
Black Weber Silver 22.5" converted to a gasser pizza oven, on wheels
Weber 1970's vintage Bar-B-Kettle, converted to a rotisserie cooker
Twin UDS: Blue

jmcrig

As we live and learn. But, how can there be a real feeling of accomplishment without the "bloodletting and the blasphemy"?
Looks good.  ;D ;D
#2 - April 11, 2010, 10:26:53 am

Spicy Mike

That wire sure likes to bite don't it?
#3 - April 11, 2010, 12:24:26 pm
Salad!?! Salad ain't food, it's what we FEED food!

rogerskouson

So old and still teachable>>>>> ;D
#4 - June 14, 2010, 05:44:31 pm

skou

Roger, just what the heck are YOU doing here?

For the rest of you guys, gotta watch those Skousons.  (I think they breed like rabbits!) :D

steve
#5 - June 18, 2010, 07:34:10 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

skou

Funny thing, Sterling (first poster)'s first coal basket was a square-based one, made out of a single piece of expanded metal, cut in a "celtic cross" shape.  2 of the sides should have been easy to bend, and the other 2 should have been difficult.

steve
#6 - June 18, 2010, 07:38:16 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Members: