AZ Barbeque.com

Burning the drum question

Discussion started on

azkitch

I've got a big back yard, but I'm still in Phoenix. And I have a dead pine tree. Should I ask the FD if I can burn the drum in the back yard with the chunks I just cut off the dead tree? Or should I load up the pick-um-up and go find a spot out in the desert? Maybe Olive and 130ish? Or wherever civilization ends out there? But I don't have a fire extinguisher, either, so going to a remote site doesn't sound that great either. I was thinking the middle of the cul-de-sac...nah. Neighbors wouldn't understand the barrel fire in the middle of the heat wave...
HELP.
#1 - August 02, 2009, 01:57:07 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

toys4dlr

What ever you do, don't burn pine if you plan on cooking in it.  Pine is not Good Eats.

If you are going to BBQ'n or just for good measure you should Buy a Fire Putter Outer or several.  I have one in the Kitchen, one in the garage and one upstairs and that does not include the ones for comps or the two in the trailer.  My MIL caught her kitchen on Fire, if she had an extinguisher it she would have lost a pan, maybe the stove at worst.  Instead, she got a kitchen remodel and almost lost the house.

Like insurance, they are is only important when you need it and if you need it you will be glad you had it.  OK, off my soap box.   ;D

Another thought is to buddy up to Quiggs, he finds homes for lost ones.  ;D
#2 - August 02, 2009, 02:20:15 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mark

The the City of Phoenix will haul it away from the front of your house for free, if the chunks are 4-foot length or less. Here is the link to  their bulk trash pickup schedule:

http://phoenix.gov/GARBAGE/trshmain.html
#3 - August 02, 2009, 02:37:38 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

I thought I could use pine to do the initial burn out. Hrrumph. Thanks for the fast answer, guys. Y'all are awesome.
One of the reasons I cut limbs off today is bulk pick-up is around the corner... Thanks, Mark. BTW, are you on that there azbarbeque map?
http://platial.com/map/AZBARBEQUE/489583
#4 - August 02, 2009, 02:43:23 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

AzJohnnyC

I'm in agreement. When I did a burn in on my new SNP, I did in with charcoal and threw on some wood for good measure. I know you're just trying to burn off undesireable debris and stuff, but I did it just like a cook, to "season" it, so when I cooked on it, it smelled right. I have several fire extinguishers, but now I think I'll get another one for my cooking gazebo. Even if I don't ever need it, at least it'll look cool.
#5 - August 02, 2009, 03:04:41 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mark

Glad to help. Yep. I put myself on the map just yesterday under my team name "Meatier Creator" in Prescott Valley.
#6 - August 02, 2009, 07:36:19 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

DOH! I'd have visited Saturday had I known! I went up to Ralph's to gather said drum. My older daughter lives in Prescott, but we missed connecting. So we just kinda farted around for a while, wandered around in Costco and came home. Crash was up there somwhere too. He stopped by Jubes BBQ.
I remember stopping by your booth at Pulte '08, and hootin' about your cool paint job and your team name. Your smoker is like primer green/graffitti/camo, isn't it?

And Dave--I need a kitchen remodel anyway. No wait. That's not the way to get it. I keep wishing for a lottery win, then I'll roll a stick of dynomite in that sucker. Yes, it's that bad!! If I ever hear of a "Bad Kitchen" contest again, I'M WINNING.

So now I have to find enough hardwood to immolate a 55 gallon drum. I've got a pretty good start, what with the mesquite tree my neighbor had. And I've got a feeling he can get me more. I'll have to check with him...
Thanks guys.  And Mark, see if you can do something about that expression. Come on, put on a happy face!!
#7 - August 03, 2009, 09:37:47 pm
CBJ # 53779

Members: