AZ Barbeque.com

Big Drum Smoker

Discussion started on

melh

Hi all I am looking to buy hubby a smoker for bday and I have been doing a lot of research and had been going back and forth between gas, electric and reg.

I was hoping to get your opinions on the Big Drum Smoker.

How easy is it really for a beginner?

What are the pros and cons with it?

Does the food really taste as good as it looks in the pictures?

We would be looking to get one of the two smallest ones as we don't need that much space so do the smaller work as well as the larger?

Just anything at all you all can tell me about the BDS would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks mel
#1 - April 29, 2007, 07:58:37 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Mel,

Thom Emery uses one and he could give you his practical experience with it.

Looks like a great, simple smoker/grill and I'm sure your husband would love it.  Can I get you to talk with my wife??  ;D

Thom, what feedback do you have for Mel??

Mike
#2 - April 29, 2007, 08:01:29 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

VisionQuest220

Jay, (Jaybird), uses them as well.
#3 - April 29, 2007, 08:11:30 pm
http://www.rhythmnque.com
The All-WSM Championship Barbeque Team
2008 & 2009 CBBQA Team of the Year

Thom Emery

Yes I have two of them If I was cooking for family only and could have only one smoker it would be a BDS You can do the long cooks and the short Cook high temp foods as well as low and slow Very simple to use Interesting effect that the direct fire gives Rocky  the fellow that makes them is a Hoot But with the Catering Biz and all I am using the FEC100 most of the time
#4 - April 30, 2007, 05:42:52 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

bearbonez

I don't have a lot of knowledge on the new BDS. The forums are closed off from non BDS owners. So I can't tell you about performance, burn times one a single load of fuel, if you have to turn meat, etc.

I would suggest a WSM (weber smokey mountain)r. As far as charcoal/wood cookers, they are set and forget as you will find. Very easy to use. And yes, the food taste as good if not better than it looks.
#5 - April 30, 2007, 07:24:24 am
David "Bear" Nunley

Jaybird

Both BDS and WSM's are excellent smokers and basically use the same principal for cooking. The WSM uses a water pan and the BDS does not, therefor the meat in the BDS will be dripping on the hot coals and gives it a great flavor. I have two of each and that's what I will be competing with this year. You can buy 2 WSM's for the price of one BDS but depending on the model of BDS you get, it can hold more food. If you do get a WSM, after you put it together, throw the cooking instructions away, don't even look at them. You'll get enough help right here to get ya started. The BDS is so simple to operate you have to try to mess it up. You will have to rotate the meat in it while cooking whereas you don't in the WSM. And yes the food really does taste as good as it looks in the pictures. I prefer the 2338-2 model. Hope this helps. You are good wife!!!!!!!!!
#6 - April 30, 2007, 07:39:53 am

Aaron

I dont know how good a BDS is compaired to a WSM, but I know that I have never seen someone sweep a contest with a BDS.  ;D
#7 - April 30, 2007, 08:06:38 am

Jaybird

Until yesterday, I've never known of anybody winning a contest with just one WSM!!!
#8 - April 30, 2007, 08:38:14 am

Thom Emery

;D it may be a while before that happens again
#9 - April 30, 2007, 06:14:35 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

coyoterick

The problem I don't like with Drum smokers is that they do best with chicken, and not so good with anything else due to the direct heat. Running at 225 degrees, a 10lb brisket cooks to 190 in about 5 hours instead of 10-12 like it would on an offset.  This is due to the direct infrared heat of the coals, so I ended up putting a large pizza pan as a heat shield on the lower rack.  This brought the cooking times back to those of an offset.  It still doesn't get the smoke ring of an offset, at least in my experience!
#10 - April 30, 2007, 07:02:11 pm

Thom Emery

Rick It cooks faster but I dont get cook time cut in half
Do you like the crisp bark?  Thats what I really like about it
#11 - April 30, 2007, 07:41:24 pm

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

coyoterick

Yes, I like crisp bark on brisket.  Did a whole yardbird on the drum yesterday, it came out awesome!  My daughter ate most of it - didn't leave much for me and the missus  :)
#12 - May 06, 2007, 12:43:16 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

That's OK, start her early on acquiring the great taste for BBQ.

It's fantastic when they take an interest.  Maybe down the road, she can be on your competition BBQ Team.
#13 - May 07, 2007, 12:21:13 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: