AZ Barbeque.com

Barrel Burn

Discussion started on

azkitch

I finally decided to be brave and burn my barrel tonight. My neighbor gave me a REALLY full wheelbarrow of old mesquite. One of the logs was about 7" in diameter, and I got the bright idea of quartering it. With a hatchet and a hammer. I'm thin now...It really wasn't too bad. The first cut was the deepest...sorry. I started by cutting a starting slot w/the recip. saw, placed the hatchet, and banged away. Wound up with another hammer and a crowbar. Splitting the leftovers was anti-climactic. I still have nearly a wagon load of mesquite left, so I'll have something to burn in November. I made a spark screen from some really light expanded metal/screening that has been laying around for years. It was pretty much unecessary. Not much sparking--especially considering mesquite--and absolutely NO wind, breeze, wafting air, nothing. Cyndi and Tiara came out and cooked some marshmallows on the flaming drum, and I had bought some chicken sausage with habanero and Monterey Jack cheese, and T roasted one of those for me, too. That was pretty danged good!!

The barrel and a couple of magnets...that I forgot to take off...Hmmm

The charcoal box, held together with J hooks that will fit thru a pizza pan for ash catching. If I get a bigger pizza pan--upwards of 18", I can take bolts out of the ring, let it out to about 15"+

The drum and the semi-speedy (Half fast) spark screen

Purtyful fire...

Pic'n it old school. Found out the camera seems to be operating within specs. Gonna go blow lots of film tomorrow. Anyone remember film? Yes, I had it pointed the right way while I was shooting!

The pic doesn't do 'em justice. These were the best looking marshmallows I've seen in decades!

Still burning merrily, 2 hours later. The charcoal box is now in the fire. I used some zinc plated hardware. Like the J hooks.

At one point, I pulled the charbox out, and one of the legs/j-hooks was glowing red, and about half the surrounding area. Another 2 hours later, and the drum is about 7" deep in glowing coals. It's a thing of beauty! I put the lid on it, and tried to get the clamp on Wish I had some welders gloves...
#1 - August 29, 2009, 02:06:12 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

PAT YOUNG

SOUNDS FUN AND HERE I AM IN ER GETTING ARE ARSES HANDED TO US! MOST ER ADMITS THAT WEV'E HAD IN YEARS!I GUESS EVERYONE WANTS TO GET IN ON THE FUN!!!!!!!!! IT'S ORTHO NIGHT !!!!!!!
#2 - August 29, 2009, 02:18:28 am

azkitch

Drum update. Inside has been wire brushed, wiped down, oiled. 8 holes drilled in top-all in one spot. I figger, the smoke doesn't care where it goes out from, long as it goes out. And if they're all together, I can cover them with one pot lid or something, to put the fire out. Put a half chimney of lit briquettes on top of similar amount of unlit, and now letting barrel cook. I still have to drill the grate holes. I may be cooking on it tonight yet!!
 8)  ;)  :exclaim:

#3 - September 05, 2009, 08:19:08 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

RobOConnell

Sounds like your having fun Dave. Your gonna love the drum.
#4 - September 05, 2009, 09:23:32 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

azkitch

Oh BOY, oh boy, oh boy. Drums are incredible! I really do need another one. One for oak, one for pecan, one for apple, one for mixes. Yeah, That's the ticket! The thing has been at 220 to 230 all night. That's amazing. And the butt and brisket are about ready. And I slept nearly 5 hours. Heck, that's nearly a normal night's sleep for me...that's a week in Mikesleep!
#5 - September 06, 2009, 09:16:47 am
CBJ # 53779

AzJohnnyC

Sleep? Hmmm. Maybe you're on to something with the UDS.
#6 - September 06, 2009, 09:32:06 am
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

azkitch

Not only sleep, but I don't think I used any charcoal. I don't know where the heat came from!! I didn't use a third of what I put in there! I tried stuffing my charcoal box full, but the pieces were so large, I know I had lots of wasted space. And the dang thing is still 3/4 full. I still feel like I didn't sleep. Actually, I dozed from 9 to 11, and I feel much better now. Maybe I will get those ribs on after all.
#7 - September 06, 2009, 12:14:02 pm
CBJ # 53779

RobOConnell

your doing ribs too? hmm.... shame you dont live way out here in the east valley, we could compare
#8 - September 06, 2009, 12:17:42 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q

azkitch

Yup. Got the ribs on just now. Back yard is a wreck--even worse than normal. And the ribs will take at least 4 hours, if not 5+. And I've got the telethon tonight. Well, I just have to trust somebody. EEK.
Upon further review, I guess I used more than a third of the charcoal I had going in there. Maybe half. But there is still plenty after 13 hours to do the ribs. Wow.
#9 - September 06, 2009, 01:30:13 pm
CBJ # 53779

RobOConnell

I will throw about 2 bags of lump into the firebox and it will last through a good 300 degree burn for crisping chicken or bacon wrapped fatties, as well as the cook. I may take the box out about every 3rd burn to rid the ash. I find the coals last a good while.. maybe 4 or 5 uses. But then I use a large firebox. I think its cool that when I am done cooking, I just shut off the vents and the coals go out, then she will just sit there waiting for my return for the next cook. I love my UDS, hmm I should name her. Yeah......
#10 - September 06, 2009, 02:06:18 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q

force

hot drummer
#11 - September 22, 2009, 09:53:26 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Hillbilly

You got the drum bug now!  Mine became my favorite smoker so far!  There mighty efficient an do a great job ta boot!
#12 - September 23, 2009, 04:16:30 pm
A displaced hillbilly.
Just trying to follow tradition.
Hillbilly Vittles-A business were growing slow but sure!
Our Blog:  http://www.oldcoothillbilly.wordpress.com

Members: