Waldo's BBQ around town...
  BBQ Island      
AZ Barbeque.com
November 28, 2014, 08:27:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Get your team signed up for the Freedom RV BBQ Comp http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/freedom-rv-2015/

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waldo's BBQ around town...  (Read 407 times)
azkitch
2000 + Posts WOW, talk about Addiction...

Hell yes, I like hot foods!

Referrals: 11

David Kitchener
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:18 am »

The HQ is in Mesa, but they have 2 Waldo's Express locations...one at 7th St. and Hatcher or Mountain View--somewhere in there--and one at 19th Ave. and Thunderbird. Anyone know anything about them? I haven't tried the one near me--T-Bird. I hope to soon.

CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!
Mark

It's a pleasure to meat you.

Referrals: 5

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »

About 15 or 20 years ago, Hombre, me and our old Arizona BBQ Association used to hold mini comps and informal how-to classes in a vacant lot next to the one on Main Street in Mesa. I remember that Clay the owner was a nice guy, but don't recall the que being that special. They used to pretty much pack the place on Saturdays. The menu looks like it has changed a bit to include a lot of non-BBQ stuff.

Mark Motta
Meatier Creator
azkitch

Hell yes, I like hot foods!

Referrals: 11

David Kitchener
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »

I went to Waldo's Express at T-Bird and 19th Ave. today. It was quite reasonable. I tasted a bit of the brisket, and wished I'd gotten the brisket sammie. Brisket and pork both exhibited smoke rings, but pork had no bark--I saw some skin, made me think they use the whole picnic. Pork was somewhat overdone, not very much smoke flavor, but serviceable. Chicken was the tastiest of the big 3 meats. Tiara and I had the chicken and pork sandwiches, respectively, at $3 each. Brisket or hot link were $4 each. Fries were fantastic--shoestring fries, in regular and spicy. I enjoyed the slightly tangy BBQ sauce, too. For those prices, and fast fast service, Waldo's wins. Don't expect Q 2 U  or Texas BBQ House quality meats, but for 3 or 4 bucks--if you're going past, it'll work!

CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: