AZ Barbeque.com

Texas Toast - Texas BBQ House Closed!!!

Discussion started on

toys4dlr

Thanks for the kind words, we try to add the love to our BBQ for our customers.
#16 - July 22, 2012, 12:50:53 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

BBQCZAR

Sad to hear that QN4U in Clovis is closing today,tonight will be the last supper they are serving. :(    http://www.fresnobee.com/2012/07/20/2916908/last-hurrah-for-clovis-barbecue.html#storylink=cpy
#17 - July 22, 2012, 12:55:26 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

jimj

I too am sad to see Brent's dream fade away far too soon just as he did. :(
As for Scottsdale, to open a restaurant on one of the priciest pieces of real estate and expect to make it selling BBQ to mostly the foo-foo crowd who faint if they get a drop of bisque on their finger  ;) seems like setting yourself up to fail. Can you imagine what just the rent alone is?
Then bring in the coupons, those scream to anyone who has a clue "we're barely making it and the guy with the spinning sign dressed up like a pork rib is right around the corner". ??? ;D
It's a pity to see restaurants close up, it's usually devastating to the proprietor both emotionally and financially (unless of course it was someone else's money :-X :D) then it sucks for more people.
#18 - July 22, 2012, 04:48:51 pm

Mark

Geez, Jim...stereotype much?  ;) Actually, Old Town Scottsdale would seem like a good spot for BBQ with all the tourist trade and foot traffic. You would imagine that all the domestic and foreign visitors to the "West's Most Western Town" would be seeking a taste of the Old West. Texas BBQ House certainly provides that. I'm glad to see that they are still going strong at their original location.

But despite all the planning and blood, sweat and tears, running a restaurant really is a crap shoot. Years ago, I was asked to attend a meeting at a failing restaurant just down the street from Texas BBQ House. It was called a wine bar and cafe called Zinzibar. The owners were overdrawn and at their wit's end. My buddy (an investor in the company) threw out the suggestion of converting it to a sushi bar; there were none at the time in the area. He even had a name that his daughter came up with. RA Sushi. Well, the company grew and grew, eventually selling out to Benihana a few years back for something like 90 million. If I had $50 grand that fortuitous day I probably could have bought have the company on the spot. You just never know. I don't think there is a bigger hit-or-miss business category that restaurants.
#19 - July 22, 2012, 06:20:36 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

AzScott

Interesting story about Ra Sushi Mark.  I never knew that.  I have a friend that keeps up with restaurant spaces in Scottsdale since he's looking at expanding and it sounds like the rent at this location was just ridiculously high.  It's hard to stay open when they had the expenses they did.  Anyways, it's great to see the S. Phx location still cranking away at it.  I was there about two weeks ago and the ribs were mighty good, the brisket was eh, and every single sausage was sold out. 
#20 - July 25, 2012, 08:46:42 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mark

The sausage has been sold out most times I'm there as well, Scott. Speaking of sausage, I was at Costco and saw Jalapeno-Cheddar sausage from Southside Market & Barbeque in Elgin, TX. I didn't get any because I have a packed freezer, but it looked mighty good! :P The price was right, too. Something like ten bucks for a 2.5 or 3-lb. package.

http://www.southsidemarket.com/Products/Elgin-Sausage/Smoked-Jalapeno-and-Cheddar-Sausage-1lb.aspx
#21 - July 26, 2012, 12:26:59 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

The sausage has been sold out most times I'm there as well, Scott. Speaking of sausage, I was at Costco and saw Jalapeno-Cheddar sausage from Southside Market & Barbeque in Elgin, TX. I didn't get any because I have a packed freezer, but it looked mighty good! :P The price was right, too. Something like ten bucks for a 2.5 or 3-lb. package.

http://www.southsidemarket.com/Products/Elgin-Sausage/Smoked-Jalapeno-and-Cheddar-Sausage-1lb.aspx

Mark, those are pretty good. But they just inspired me to make my own;

#22 - July 26, 2012, 05:57:01 am

AzScott

Those sausages are really good.  I just picked some up last night and I'll be smoking some for dinner tonight.  Mark, those sausages look awesome.  Did you come up with the recipe yourself or did you get it from somewhere?  I have a major itch to start making sausage.  Speaking of which, if anyone has a vertical stuffer they want to get rid of let me know.  I'd love to get one.
#23 - July 26, 2012, 09:04:52 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mark

Wow, Mark. Those look absolutely amazing! Now I definitely gotta run back to Costco to get a sausage fix. :P
#24 - July 26, 2012, 09:21:47 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

jmcrig

Those sausages are really good.  I just picked some up last night and I'll be smoking some for dinner tonight.  Mark, those sausages look awesome.  Did you come up with the recipe yourself or did you get it from somewhere?  I have a major itch to start making sausage.  Speaking of which, if anyone has a vertical stuffer they want to get rid of let me know.  I'd love to get one.

Scott, it was a recipe that a friend from south MO sent me and I've tweeted it over time.
Smoke them for about a hour to an hour and a half at 225 over some oak or hickory. Those are the ones that got me motivated to make my own.
#25 - July 26, 2012, 09:52:28 am

tbonejc

Sorry to hear this news.  Some people that have had my que on many occasions have asked me if I were to ever open a restaurant.  I always say no b/c to do the kind of bbq I wanna do and make money I would have to charge a bunch, more than competitors I think.  I like to use cherry, maple and apple woods; way expensive woods here.  I wouldn't mind doing a fine dining steakhouse with so bbq items though.
#26 - August 03, 2012, 11:14:56 am

Members: