« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 01:31:41 pm by txbbq »

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Nice article......Great job. I'll have to check it out one saturday after work
#2 - August 25, 2011, 02:55:45 pm
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

azkitch

Nice write up. And I'm driving all over creative hell nowadays. I shall endeavor to swing thru...
#3 - August 25, 2011, 07:05:46 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Wild Pegasus

A co-worker, from Kansas City no less, raved about this place to me a couple of weeks ago. She spoke warmly about the marbled brisket. That's all I needed to hear.

I haven't been there yet but I'll swing by one night on my way home.
#4 - August 26, 2011, 08:25:41 am
-Alex-

BBQ + Volleyball = Euphoria!

BrianL

Oh good...your hours are listed in there (assuming they are correct)...I've looked all over to figure out when the heck you guys are open (even your own site doesn't seem to say)...

We've been by there twice now and you were closed and I've had friends go by there on their way home from work to find that you guys are closed  :(
#5 - August 28, 2011, 03:41:58 pm
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

txbbq

Oh good...your hours are listed in there (assuming they are correct)...I've looked all over to figure out when the heck you guys are open (even your own site doesn't seem to say)...

We've been by there twice now and you were closed and I've had friends go by there on their way home from work to find that you guys are closed  :(
yes hours are correct 10-7 pm Mon -  Saturday, starting this Sunday Sept. 4 we will be open 7 days a week 10 - 7 maybe later when football games are going on. Hope to see ya soon  :)
#6 - August 28, 2011, 09:22:49 pm

route66

I tried the cutters choice brisket yesterday and it was good enough to order another helping of the moist. Great job guys! Next I tried a rib and it was tasty but a little tough and dry, I will give them another try as I see potential. The turkey was moist and flavorful but had way too much rosemary for my taste. Another I will give a second try. The sausage was good but just average, not the Texas style I wanted but some will enjoy them. When I saw pinto beans my eye lit up but was somewhat disappointed as they seemed like a jazzed up canned bean. They were tasty but I hope to find a place that makes fresh pintos Texas Style. All in all I will be back and highly recommend the moist brisket and look forward to trying the rest of their menu.
#7 - August 31, 2011, 11:49:43 am

BBQCZAR

Sounds good Brandonj,I gotta get down there and try this place  :)
#8 - August 31, 2011, 12:48:49 pm
www.thebbqbullies.com
www.azvideoelectronics.com

BBQ Bullies competition barbeque team

Mr Smoker

Cutters Choice is my favorite!
#9 - August 31, 2011, 02:12:49 pm
Charbroil RED, #7 Custom Red Kamado,AZBarbeque Hall of Fame.

txbbq

I tried the cutters choice brisket yesterday and it was good enough to order another helping of the moist. Great job guys! Next I tried a rib and it was tasty but a little tough and dry, I will give them another try as I see potential. The turkey was moist and flavorful but had way too much rosemary for my taste. Another I will give a second try. The sausage was good but just average, not the Texas style I wanted but some will enjoy them. When I saw pinto beans my eye lit up but was somewhat disappointed as they seemed like a jazzed up canned bean. They were tasty but I hope to find a place that makes fresh pintos Texas Style. All in all I will be back and highly recommend the moist brisket and look forward to trying the rest of their menu.
  Well Brandon sorry wasn't to your liking. But, can tell  you this from your response i would like next time you say you have a tough rib and its dry I would like for you to bring it up to me at the store. My name is Mike and I am the owner. If you ever have a problem please don't hesitate to bring it to our attention. We pride ourselves on consistency and quality. Hope to see you back soon.
#10 - August 31, 2011, 05:39:16 pm

AzScott

I stopped in here for lunch after hearing good things here and Tommy talking about how good the moist brisket is.  I decided to order a 1/4 pound of moist brisket, 1/2 a jalapeno sausage, and 2 ribs.  No sides for me since I'm watching my figure.  Everything was weighed out and served on butcher paper so off to the table I went.  I decided to go for the ribs first and I thought they had a really good flavor, they were pretty moist, and they were BBQ restaurant tender (fall off the bone).  They didn't have sauce on them so I tried the BBQ sauce on the table and found I liked the ribs better w/o the sauce.  Next up was the jalapeno sausage.  I found myself underwhelmed since it was slightly mealy and sliced lengthwise.  The flavor of the sausage was good and perhaps not spicy enough.  The sausage did make a great sandwich though on some white bread w/ onions and pickles.  The moist brisket was the best brisket I've had from a BBQ restaurant in AZ.  I made a big sandwich with it and was very happy with it.  Overall my favorite item that I tried was the ribs.

All in all, I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars and I'm sure I will be back with some coworkers.   
#11 - September 09, 2011, 01:09:45 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

route66

Well Brandon sorry wasn't to your liking. But, can tell  you this from your response i would like next time you say you have a tough rib and its dry I would like for you to bring it up to me at the store. My name is Mike and I am the owner. If you ever have a problem please don't hesitate to bring it to our attention. We pride ourselves on consistency and quality. Hope to see you back soon.

Hey Mike, Re-read my post and you will see I highly recommend your place and will be back! I actually had two orders of your tasty brisket making me too full to try the rest of your menu. My one rib I ordered was very tasty and as I said, I will try again.

You have a great thing going and I appreciate your pride for quality. I see success in your future.
#12 - September 09, 2011, 11:25:40 pm

Laveen-BBQ

Going today to taste the meaty goodness.  Can't wait to try some moist brisket.
#13 - September 28, 2011, 09:10:07 am

mustang

New!

Going today to taste the meaty goodness.  Can't wait to try some moist brisket.

Copied from the New Times Article, here's their description of the 3 versions of brisket available at TXBBQ house:

>>>>  The brisket is heavenly and, depending on the amount of marbling desired, available in lean, moist, and "cutter's choice." <<<<<

They all sound really good to me, but does anyone know what cuts they actually serve there?

I'm just guessing, but I wonder if the 3 different versions may be the following cuts derived from a full packer:

Lean Brisket = Sliced Flat with surface fat scraped off before slicing ?

Moist Brisket = Sliced Point ?

Cutter's Choice = Sliced Flat with surface fat left in tact ?

#14 - September 28, 2011, 11:03:12 am
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:21:27 am by mustang »

Laveen-BBQ

Copied from the New Times Article, here's their description of the 3 versions of brisket available at TXBBQ house:

>>>>  The brisket is heavenly and, depending on the amount of marbling desired, available in lean, moist, and "cutter's choice." <<<<<

They all sound really good to me, but does anyone know what cuts they actually serve there?

I'm just guessing, but I wonder if the 3 different versions may be the following cuts derived from a full packer:

Lean Brisket = Sliced Flat with surface fat scraped off before slicing ?

Moist Brisket = Sliced Point ?

Cutter's Choice = Sliced Flat with surface fat left in tact ?

Mustang you are right on the money.

Let me say I am still in partial food comma so please excuse any misspellings.

Walked in when they opened and was greeted by Dale one of the owners.  He starts to explain the menu to me and then asks what I would like to sample.  Well that was all he needed to say.  I tried everything pretty much on the menu from a sample perspective.

Let me get this out of the way.  Texas House BBQ is going to upset the BBQ scene here in Phoenix because it is super simple and super good.  I love that they don't sauce any of their meats at all.  It truly lets you savor the flavor of all the meats. 

Speaking of meats there are plenty.  Brisket (3 different cuts), spare ribs (with the tip on, I almost cried), chicken, turkey, pork loin (very tender and juicy), sausage (I usually don't like sausage but theirs is awesome), and chopped beef. 

I got a pound of the moist brisket, half a pound turkey, half pound ribs, and chopped beef.  For sides I took home the pinto beans (super good and not sweet thank God), and also the creamed corn (more on this later).  Let me tell you that this meal I just had was a great experience.  The flavor of the meat combined with my onions and jalepenos will not be forgotten soon.  The ribs are bite through tender, and my moist brisket had a great rub on the bark and was also tender.  The oak they use is very mild on the meat but adds enough to let you know that it is BBQ.  Did I mention the brisket was super good.  The turkey was really tender and moist as well with a very different rub than the rest of the meats.  The chopped beef is mixed with BBQ sauce and this was really not my thing but my wife loved it.

The creamed corn gets its own paragraph since it is probably the best BBQ side I have ever had.  I don't like sweet things but this one blew my socks off and goes great with the savory BBQ meats.  It has a great consistency and the corn is not canned but fresh.  You really get a good corn crunch from the creamed corn that lets you know it is fresh.

Make sure you get plenty of the pickles, onions, and jalepenos when you get take out.  I almost ran out half way through my plate.

If you couldn't tell this place is awesome and will be disrupting the BBQ scene in the valley.  It is also on 24th street and Roser which is not to far from Laveen, and adds to the new restaurant renaissance here in south Phoenix that includes The House at The Secret Garden, and Ammano Pizzeria.

Thanks Dale and team.  I will be back soon.
#15 - September 28, 2011, 12:16:02 pm

Members: