Stacy's

Discussion started on

smokewagonbbq

Hey has anyone eaten @ Stacy's?
#1 - June 28, 2009, 07:16:01 pm
Smoke Wagon Bar-B-Que, LLC
Fire Up the Pit...

toys4dlr

Nope, have not been there.  I did meet one of the owners (At least that is what she said) at rest depot.  Her attitude was a little rough, but I have not tried the food.  I tried to strike up a conversation about BBQ, she just had an air that left me scratching my head. 

Let me know if the food is good.
#2 - June 28, 2009, 07:27:43 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

smokewagonbbq

I will probably head over this week for a lunch meeting.  Interesting comments though about the owner....I have been told the same thing by other folks.  That kind of spoils it for me if they're quein and have a terrible attitude or arrogance about them.  That's part of being a good barbeque soldier, having a people friendly attitude......
#3 - June 28, 2009, 07:30:40 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

toys4dlr

Tell us how the food is.  BBQ is a difficult business, but you are right.  Attitude is everything. 
#4 - June 28, 2009, 07:33:35 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I have met one of the owners, Stacy himself.  Nice enough guy.  Tried some of the food once out there, it was OK.  Anxious to get back on a day they serve their beef ribs as supposedly that's what they are known for.

If you do stop in there Chad, make sure you tell them about AZBarbeque and how they need to get onboard here.  ;)

He says his BBQ has been voted the Best in Phoenix for years..  Looking forward to your review..
#5 - June 28, 2009, 08:36:52 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

RangerJurena

He says his BBQ has been voted the Best in Phoenix for years..  Looking forward to your review..

Well, I'm not sure who was voting.  I've been there, once.  I can't see myself going back.  The place was packed, so some folks do like it but I was not a fan.
#6 - June 29, 2009, 02:39:45 pm
2 Award Winning UDS's
Pappa Charlies Barbeque

smokewagonbbq

I made it over there on Tuesday afternoon.  It smelled good outside the place despite it's akward graffiti filled appearance.  They told me they open at 11, but left us standing outside for 30 minutes while the girls watched us sweating in the street as they casually counted the money out for the cash drawer (they only take cash as payment there). 

The menu was genuinely inviting with alot of different items like pulled pork sandwiches, brisket sandwiches, hot links, ribs, yams, fried pickles and sweet tea to name a few.  I opted for the large brisket sandwich and fried pickles.  The food was good, although the brisket was shaved down to lunch meat type of thickness and D_R_E_N_C_H_E_D in bbq sauce, so it wasn't exactly what I was thinking about when I ordered. 

Drinks are refillable only with an upcharge per refill (bad for me as I am well known for drinking sometimes a gallon of tea at once).  The restaurant is very plain, no frills and very small.  I think it seats about 20.

In short, I'd go back to try something else, but I can't rave about anything yet...
#7 - July 02, 2009, 03:31:15 pm
Fire Up the Pit...

azkitch

Only about 2 mi. from A & J Chicago BBQ...Maybe the start of a crawl? They'd know about us then!!
#8 - July 02, 2009, 07:07:29 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Corvidae

Stopped by Stacy's this afternoon.  Small, hole in the wall-type atmosphere, but did the job.  I was there at 3:00 and there were only a couple of tables open for seating, so get it to go for evening dining.

They accept credit cards now and refills still cost extra.  Server was nice enough, saw Stacy walk in and out but he never said hi or anything.  The menu is on a chalk board from hell.  Must be an artistic thing, but it's all over the place.

I ordered a full slab of pork ribs.  They were meaty, tender and fell off the bones.  However, they were drenched in BBQ sauce, so I could not taste any of the natural meat flavors, or any rub that was used, if any.  I also didn't taste or smell any real smokey flavoring aside what the sauce had to offer.  Lastly, they were some of the more expensive ribs I've had, at $22+ tax for just a full slab without any sides.

#9 - June 29, 2011, 05:05:44 pm

BOWNELK

Those ribs sure don't look very appealing, doesn't look like they even started to pull back yet. Very expensive, need more than meat for a meal. Probably won't be going there to eat. Thanks for the review.
#10 - June 30, 2011, 07:42:01 am

beavis

Stacy's is also on my DNR (do not return) list. I think there are some in the media, who have rated it highly, that did so more for the human drama story of its owners than the actual food. The actual food is at best mediocre. And, as others have noted, ownership has a pretty gruff "my way or the highway" attitude. Definitely no need to go.
#11 - June 30, 2011, 07:52:11 am

AzScott

I met Stacy at the Scottsdale comp this year.  He seamed like a really nice guy and we talked for about 10 minutes or so.  I told him I'd stop by but I just don't frequent BBQ places at all.  I am tempted to stop in for some fried catfish though.

AJ's Chicago BBQ closed down about 6 or 7 months ago so a BBQ crawl there wouldn't be a good idea.  I live down the street from there and never saw anyone inside.
#12 - June 30, 2011, 04:08:04 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Mark

Sadly, AJ's Chicago BBQ had no passion. They had a gas-fired,temp-controlled, glass-doored shiny smoker with windows in the middle of the restaurant. You felt like you were in an operating room. It was owned by two sisters from Chicago. About 20 years ago, I'd eat at their original location around 35th Ave & Van Buren. It was a funky soul food joint back then, but they lost their mojo when they moved on up to the north side.
#13 - June 30, 2011, 05:02:06 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Corvidae

I just had to share this laugh.  Stacy's was on the Planet Green Channel as the fourth best BBQ place in the U.S.   :laugh:
#14 - July 04, 2011, 11:39:34 am

Mark

I've eaten at Stacy's and no offense to 'em, but I don't think they're in the top 4 in Arizona. :-\
#15 - July 04, 2011, 01:19:46 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: