AZ Barbeque.com

Rudy's BBQ

Discussion started on

tbonejc

I have a friend from Texas, Dallas then San Antonio, who loves, and misses, Rudy's BBQ.  He told me about a new location of theirs and I wanted to share it with everyone here.
http://rudysbbq.com/page/location/name/bbq-coming%20soon%20chandler/phoenix
If you're familiar with Rudy's this has got to be good news for you.  Don't know when it'll open, either March or June.  I'd like to try it someday.  But first I need to get over to Texas BBQ House!
#1 - January 25, 2012, 08:42:20 am

RudedoggAZ

Rudy's ROCKS!!! Probably my favorite BBQ Sause of all time! Yes, that's the way they spell it.  ;D
#2 - January 25, 2012, 09:23:02 am

AzScott

I just want to taste the sauce.  Everyone loves it.
#3 - January 25, 2012, 02:09:52 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

BrianL

Their sauce is ok...not necessarily my favorite, but it's good without being overpowering. Their meat can be hit and miss depending on where you're at. I've had Rudy's in Austin, Colorado Springs, and Albuquerque and they were all a fair bit different from eachother. For some reason the one in Colorado Springs seems to turn out a lot more burnt tasting brisket than the others...maybe the elevation or something.
#4 - January 25, 2012, 02:22:09 pm
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

txbbq

Their sauce is ok...not necessarily my favorite, but it's good without being overpowering. Their meat can be hit and miss depending on where you're at. I've had Rudy's in Austin, Colorado Springs, and Albuquerque and they were all a fair bit different from eachother. For some reason the one in Colorado Springs seems to turn out a lot more burnt tasting brisket than the others...maybe the elevation or something.
Brian, from what I know from being a Texan, Rudy's corporate is not as good as the Franchise. I have been to both and Franchise is better food all the way around. The one in Chandler is Corporate store. They already spotted us and two of the people have been in and tried
our food. They said was the best they have had since being in Arizona.
#5 - January 25, 2012, 10:52:24 pm

BrianL

They said was the best they have had since being in Arizona.

Well Duh :D

But yeah...I think we talked about the franchise vs. corporate thing at the ASU tailgate. I'm actually hoping it sucks so I'm not tempted to go...being that it's only about 3 miles from home...

I'd still rather come support you guys...maybe we can lobby for a tunnel through South Mountain to make it a shorter drive?
#6 - January 25, 2012, 10:57:04 pm
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

tbonejc

They already spotted us and two of the people have been in and tried
our food. They said was the best they have had since being in Arizona.
Are "they" Rudy's corporate people?  Dude!  That's pretty awesome!
#7 - January 26, 2012, 12:26:09 am

occs

We are building their new offset smoker for catering, the general manager gave me a tour of the place last week. All wood burning equipment J&R manufacturing from Texas, extremely impressive equipment. They open mid-March, it looks like they do things right
#8 - February 06, 2012, 07:36:23 pm

route66

I have been to Rudy;s many times and had no idea they used Oyler's and thought they cooked on the serving pitts old school. I have to admit I was always amazed how they could cook on them as there seemed to be only one fire pot and didn't look very functional and more decorative. Marketing at its best and had me fooled. Oyler's are fantastic ovens which are wood fired and electric assist which does produce a better product than gas assist and are built like a tank. Being a chain Rudy''s has some of the most consistent Texas BBQ I have tasted but I am not overwhelmed with their 1 Sause. Maybe that is why everything is served dry and sause is left to the consumer.

What kind of Catering offset did they choose? I hope you follow with pictures of the project.
#9 - February 07, 2012, 02:30:11 am

bearbonez

I have been living in Austin for 2 years now (still haven't got any bbq out yet...what can I say, I have a pit sitting in my front yard). Rudy's is like the McDonald's of BBQ here. Most people here prefer to go to Franklin's,  county line or salt lick for bbq, but complain about the price. The one comment I hear far more than any other as far as kudo's to Rudy's is the creamed corn.
#10 - February 10, 2012, 05:34:08 am
David "Bear" Nunley

NOVYQUE

Looks like they are getting closer...drove by this past week and it looked like they were about to put the asphalt in for the parking lot.  Waiting patiently since my office is only 2 miles from there. :)  I am also watching the other place (Can't Stop Smoking BBQ) on the other corner...looks like they have a ways to go yet.
#11 - March 18, 2012, 04:09:43 pm
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

tbonejc

On their twitter feed they say they're gonna open April 5th.  Here's hopin',
#12 - March 22, 2012, 06:48:30 am

NOVYQUE

Yep! They open tomorrow. Swung by today and it looks like they are ready.  I am planning on going tomorrow with about 6-8 others from the office around 12:30pm.  Anyone else going to be out there tomorrow?
#13 - April 04, 2012, 06:48:10 pm
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Chandler, AZ

BCS CBJ

txbbq

Yep! They open tomorrow. Swung by today and it looks like they are ready.  I am planning on going tomorrow with about 6-8 others from the office around 12:30pm.  Anyone else going to be out there tomorrow?
Not me will be in Scottsdale, LOL, will make it out sometime to see how the Corporate world is.
#14 - April 04, 2012, 08:47:06 pm

Members: