AZ Barbeque.com

Pig in a Poke BBQ (Flagstaff)

Discussion started on

charles353

Living in Flagstaff for a couple of years now I have noticed a small BBQ joint on the east end of town. Since I hardly make it over on that side of town, I had not tried the place. Well, Jan 3 rolled around, my birthday. I spent most of the day in bed sick. But dinner out got me out of bed. I told my wife I wanted one thing for my birthday, BBQ. I made my way to the east side and pulled up. Pig in a Poke is located in a building with a gas station and a bar. Walked inside and the smell of smoke hit me, pretty good for someone who's nose was plugged up. The menu is pretty simple, you can order brisket, chicken or pulled pork sandwiches or a rack of ribs. There are the usual sides. I ordered the brisket sandwich and my wife got the chicken sandwich. I also ordered a side of beans and a smoked baked potato with cheese and bacon. The food arrived, the sandwiches were served on hamburger buns with a pretty good serving of meat. The brisket on my sandwich was cubed, over cooked and salty. My wife said the chicken was over cooked as well, I tried a small piece and she was right. The beans were pretty good, but the potato. OMG. I was in heaven. The potato was great. Nice smoked flavor through out, split open with cheese wiz and bacon on top. It was so good it made up for an alright sandwich.
 I will try this place again. I was sick at the time so my taste buds could have been off, I want to give this place the benefit of doubt. Anyways, that is my first review, Charles
#1 - January 14, 2009, 01:36:30 am
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Thanks for the review, I've yet to get up to the Flagstaff area and try out the local BBQ flavor up there.

Keep them coming..  ;)
#2 - January 14, 2009, 01:51:44 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

George A.

What do you mean cubed?  Like dice shaped?  Sounds odd.
#3 - January 14, 2009, 03:38:48 am
Raised on Kansas City Barbeque

ddog27

I saw that place on the way through Flagstaff a few months ago. I almost stopped there to eat.
#4 - January 14, 2009, 10:54:15 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

force

What is the name of Jim's place up there?
#5 - January 15, 2009, 12:44:38 am
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Crash

I think that has gotta be Jim's place.  We talked w/ him extensively about his E side Flag restaurant at Pulte 08.  Cant Imagine that there are too many BBQ joints in east Flag.  I could be wrong...
#6 - January 15, 2009, 02:17:09 am
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

charles353

What do you mean cubed?  Like dice shaped?  Sounds odd.

Yes, the meat was dice shaped. It was not horrible and like I said, I will go there again. This is the only bbq joint on the east side of town that I know of.
#7 - January 15, 2009, 03:46:21 pm
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Members: