AZ Barbeque.com

Papa Joe's Christown

Discussion started on

azkitch

Today was Father-Daughter date day, so while Tiara and I were out, we had lunch @ Papa Joe's Fish-n-Que. We were met by  Joe's counter guy, and soon after, Joe came to the register. He's a gracious host, bringing his Q and fish from the Permian Basin in Texas. I ordered the hot links sandwich special--$4.62 w/drink and 1 side--with a side piece of catfish. T got chicken strip kids meal. They also have pulled chicken and brisket, smoked turkey and whiting fish on the menu.
The fried items we had were perfectly done, in obviously fresh oil. The catfish left me speachless, it was so good. The hot links were small but powerful, giving a nice heat kick.
I explained our forum to Joe, and he was worried that we'd want his bbq sauce recipe. We do! Good, tangy Texas flavor. But relax, Joe. We don't expect anything from you--but maybe keep cookin' up that fine Texas Q.
Pics when I find 'em...

[attachment deleted by admin]
#1 - July 27, 2009, 02:26:03 pm
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:38:29 pm by azkitch »
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Looks like a tasty experience.  Did you get a chance to tell him about AZBarbeque??
#2 - July 27, 2009, 10:15:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

azkitch

I was wearing my shirt. I told him it was a free thing. He thought we'd charge a recipe as entry. I'm still thinking about that catfish. It was incredible!! Now I know 3 or 4 places to get screamin' good catfish! The onion rings were wonderful too.
#3 - July 29, 2009, 03:01:42 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Zactly where is this joint? It sounds swell, but I can't find it on dexknows.com or on Az Cenral's restaurant listing.  ???
#4 - July 29, 2009, 07:24:32 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

On Bethany Home Road, just W of 19th Ave. on the south side of the road. Maybe 20th Ave. The shopping strip has a barber shop in the middle/right, and the restaurant is on the west side of the strip, extending toward BH road.
#5 - July 30, 2009, 02:27:27 am
CBJ # 53779

azcolt45

Close to home for me. Guess I know where I am going to eat lunch today!

Colt
#6 - July 30, 2009, 08:27:22 am
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

azcolt45

Well, had lunch there today.
All in all not a bad place. I had a pulled chicken sandwich and a piece of cod fish.
I did like the chicken, very tender and had a good flavor even without the sauce, the sauce was a tangy sweet BBQ sauce that I enjoyed on my chicken.
I had the spicy Cod fish, the fish had a good taste with just a hint of spicy. I would have liked it more on the spicy side, but they have to market to the masses. My only complaint was that I think the fish was overcooked some. The edge of the piece of cod was a little leathery and the batter a little greasy. Not enough to keep me from trying them again.

Colt

#7 - July 30, 2009, 04:11:01 pm
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:26:53 pm by azcolt45 »
Trailer mounted Custom offset stick burner
XL BIG GREEN EGG
BIG Stainless Gasser
5' Square fire pit w/grates 
Commercial WOK
KCBS CBJ #53767

Beauty is in the eye of the "beer holder"

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Great Review and Love the Pictures.  People must think we are crazy taking all this pictures of food..  ;)
#8 - July 30, 2009, 04:41:25 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Crashs Wife

We are crazy Mike........That is why we all get along so well!! LOL 

Great review and awesome pictures. 
#9 - July 30, 2009, 09:54:37 pm
Crash's Better Half :)
AKA Pit B!t@h

PAT YOUNG

AMEN MIKE, were all here cause were not all there!
#10 - July 30, 2009, 10:08:24 pm

azkitch

AHA! That's the attraction! You do the diagnoses in the ER, eh?
Thanks, that's a great line!!
#11 - July 31, 2009, 01:28:58 am
CBJ # 53779

skou

Speak for yourself, Pat.  :D  I KNOW I'm not all there!  (Maybe, that's why I like this place so much.)

Seriously, I've got to get my camera up and running.

steve
#12 - October 05, 2009, 08:23:07 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

tbonejc

What's around there?  Any place to take the kids?  I need an excuse to go down to those parts.
#13 - October 11, 2009, 09:03:16 pm

bbqphx.com

Castles-n-coasters is just outside Metro Center which is just north and west of there. 
#14 - October 12, 2009, 05:39:18 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

Members: