AZ Barbeque.com

NYC BBQ mobile lunch wagon

Discussion started on

Mark

I just a blurb about these guys who are good a good business with their lunch wagon serving BBQ in the heart of Manhattan.

http://www.mypicnick.com/index.php
#1 - October 21, 2009, 09:51:51 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bbqphx.com

I would LOVE to have something like this here, hell I've even given serious thought to doing it myself.  I don't think Phoenix has a real street food appreciation however.  Sure, there's taco trucks down in the 'hood but most normal people do not go out of their way for...well...anything it seems.   Honolulu, for example, some of the highest rated restaurants in town (by locals) are lunch wagons.  I certainly frequented them on my last visit!!
This is a gentrified roach coach though, maybe I could park it up by Fashion Square someplace...The Coco's can't last too much longer....
#2 - October 21, 2009, 06:08:03 pm
Tracy-Head Chef and Mad Scientist
Weber Ranch Kettle
Two Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5"
Old School Weber Performer circa 1998
FEC100
http://www.bbqphx.com
Find BBQPHX sauce at Hobe Meats, Bull Market and Brooksie's

skou

I would LOVE to have something like this here, hell I've even given serious thought to doing it myself.  I don't think Phoenix has a real street food appreciation however.  Sure, there's taco trucks down in the 'hood but most normal people do not go out of their way for...well...anything it seems.   Honolulu, for example, some of the highest rated restaurants in town (by locals) are lunch wagons.  I certainly frequented them on my last visit!!
This is a gentrified roach coach though, maybe I could park it up by Fashion Square someplace...The Coco's can't last too much longer....

Yes, the "Plate Lunch" is quite popular with the locals over there!  Some of the best food available on the island is from the roach coach!  I lived there from '96 to 2000, and I should know.

Oh the second best is the Huli-huli chicken, which is almost cooked as a fund-raiser for a high school, and in a grocery store parking lot.  Chicken is marinated in a special sauce, and then grilled on a massive rotisserie arrangement, over some Ono Kiave chunk.  No, I don't have the recipe for the sauce.  Wish I did.  But, I do have the recipe for oxtail soup, from the bowling alley in Kalihi.  (Sam Choy claims it is the best oxtail soup in the country.)

steve
#3 - November 20, 2009, 08:59:48 pm
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

PAT YOUNG

STEVE, bring on the oxtail soup recipe!!!!
#4 - November 21, 2009, 03:22:15 am

skou

STEVE, bring on the oxtail soup recipe!!!!

Let's see if this cut-n-paste works.  If not, google search for Kam Bowl oxtail soup.

steve

--------------------------------

Oxtail soup

3-4 pounds oxtails
1 cup shelled and skinned raw peanuts
1 piece dried orange peel
3 pieces star anise
1 3" piece ginger, thinly sliced
alae salt (rock salt) - to taste

Garnish:

cilantro
green onions
grated ginger

Parboil oxtails for approximately 30 minutes, then drain. Rinse under warm water and trim of any excess fat.

Return oxtails to stock pot, add dried orange peel, star anise, and ginger. Add enough water so that it's about 2" above the oxtails. Bring to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to simmer.

Simmer for approximately 1 hour, then add peanuts. Be sure to skim any foam/scum that may appear on the surface.

Simmer for an additional 2-3 hours or until oxtails are tender. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate.

I normally like to refrigerate my oxtail soup over night before actually serving because the soup becomes more flavorful after a day in the fridge. It also allows me to remove any additional fat/oil that may rise to the surface of the pot.

To serve, reheat for about 30 minutes on low, or until warmed through. Place 3-4 oxtails in each bowl, with enough broth to cover. Garnish with chopped cilantro, green onions and freshly grated ginger.

Serve with alae salt (or rock salt), chili pepper water and rice. Salt is added at the end in case additional flavor is necessary.

If you do try it, let me know how it turns out.

#5 - November 21, 2009, 09:58:19 am
Currently cooking with a newly built UDS,(thanks to Skouson, my brother) which is my current best smoker.  I've also got a Weber Performer, also from Sterling.  My brothers think I'm CRAZY.  (Strangely, they're right.)

Members: