AZ Barbeque.com

Not BBQ, but Burgers

Discussion started on

Mark

I've got an In -N-Out and a Habit Burger a couple of miles from my house. Both are good. What's your favorite burger chain in AZ? My son and I are partial to the Double Green Chile Burgers at Whataburger.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/24/the-habit-burger-grill_n_5613424.html

#1 - July 25, 2014, 05:53:21 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Anthony

Whataburger has always been my favorite "fast food" burger.  I was quite sad when they started closing locations years ago.  I used to get a bacon and jalapeno burger in the morning for breakfast.

Never heard of Habit Burger.  I'll have to try them out this weekend.

#2 - July 26, 2014, 07:32:34 am

Mark

Habit Burger is good, fresh and relatively cheap compared to the artsy-fartsy burger places that have been popping up all over charging twice the price. Good milk shakes, too.
#3 - July 26, 2014, 09:47:32 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Yeller

I like In-N-Out and Carl's Jr. but nothing beats a good California Char-Broiler. Jim's Burgers & Eggs in Surprise on Greenway/Cotton are really good.
#4 - July 26, 2014, 11:30:30 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

"why are we in this handbasket and where are we going?"

Maverickjct

Not a chain but the burger I had @ Arizona Wilderness is in my Top 3 ever! And I'm old!!!

They have several specialties but I just created my own w/burger on Brioche Bun, Bacon, Cheddar, Tomato, Lettuce and Housemade Beer Seasoned Thousand Island Sauce!

They're a microbrewery on 87 just S of Guadalupe. Beer's good too!!

Oh!! And don't miss their fries cooked in duck fat! OMG!!!
#5 - July 26, 2014, 12:32:41 pm
I tell ya, my wife's cooking is so bad the flies pitched in to fix the screens!

Mike P in Tucson

As far as chains, 5 Guys is just WAAAAAY better than in-N-out.   At I-N-O, our hamburgers were very dry and the frys were horrible -- all just pieces around an inch long.  Would never go back there.  But 5 Guys burgers are good and the frys are awesome.  They actually have enough grease to get the salt to stick to them.
#6 - July 26, 2014, 04:13:32 pm
all time series records with asu (as of 12/1/2012)

football: 47-38-1 arizona
basketball: 142-80 arizona
baseball: 237-203-1 arizona

Yeller

As far as chains, 5 Guys is just WAAAAAY better than in-N-out.   

At least INO has clean stores, the 5 Guys Zee over here has filthy stores, they look as bad as a chinese buffet....Fuddruckers is good too love the buns.
#7 - July 27, 2014, 06:15:49 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

Mark

I've only eaten at 5 Guys once. Since then, they have opened one just a half-mile from home but I haven't gone. I recall the burger being good, but kinda steamy wet and sloppy. I could be wrong, but I also believe it was almost twice the price of what In-N-Out or Habit Burger is. The fries were better the In-N-Out is terms of size, both how they were cut and serving amount.

Out of all of them, Habit Burger strikes the right note of quality, serving size and price for my tastes. I used to like Fuddruckers for letting you dress your own burger and them cooking it to your liking; although one time I ordered it rare and it was indeed that- cold and raw in the middle, a little creepy even for a carnivore like me. They closed the one by PV Mall and I hadn't seen any driving around town. I thought they went out of business, but I see that there are still 4 in metro Phoenix. Gotta try 'em again.

There's a new place at Scottsdale & Shea called Hopdoddy's from Austin, TX. I haven't tried them yet, but will report back when I do.  http://www.hopdoddy.com/
#8 - July 27, 2014, 09:36:58 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Atlas

Used to like the Islands in Tempe.  There was also one by Metrocenter.  Both are gone now, the one by metro was tore down and replaced by an In n Out.
#9 - July 27, 2014, 07:45:26 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

Yeller

Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

mustang

#11 - July 28, 2014, 09:23:20 am

Mark

It wasn't mentioned, but I do like their burgers. Their chicken sandwich is my wife's favorite anywhere.
#12 - July 28, 2014, 08:37:23 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Yeller

Used to like the Islands in Tempe.  There was also one by Metrocenter.  Both are gone now, the one by metro was tore down and replaced by an In n Out.

The West Valley has an Islands at 99th Ave / McDowell
#13 - July 29, 2014, 06:59:24 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

Yeller

What about Smashburger?  Where does it 'rank' in the mix?

http://smashburger.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/WEBSITE_Menu_760x499_0614.pdf

Wasn't impressed at all with SB, I hear people do like the sweet potato fries..
#14 - July 29, 2014, 07:00:27 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

mustang

Wasn't impressed at all with SB, I hear people do like the sweet potato fries..

This has been my experience with Smashburger -->>  Some locations are great, some are horrible!!

My sense is MOST FRANCHISED OPERATIONS are highly dependent on the owner/manager priorities and values.  I've eaten at some fantastic 'Outback Restaurants' and been hugely disappointed at other Outback locations.

There is an amazing range in quality, service, cleanliness, etc. etc. at each franchise location even though their menu may look the same.  In-N-Out is an exception that seems to be more consistent from location to location.
#15 - July 29, 2014, 08:54:36 am

Members: