AZ Barbeque.com

New BBQ ..again

Discussion started on

Yeller

See if he can stay in business longer than 18 months ...I'm starting to think that nationally BBQ restaurants have jumped the shark. Only the best will remain and thin back out.

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2015/04/hogs_n_hops_bbq_scottsdale_open.php
#1 - April 24, 2015, 07:33:18 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

"why are we in this handbasket and where are we going?"

Mark

It's tough to do with street cred. Maggiore may know Italian food, but I want to know which awards their "award-winning ribs" got.  :D
#2 - April 24, 2015, 09:28:23 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

beavis

Let me save all of the BBQ aficionados on this forum some time and hard earned money. This "Hogs 'n Hops" restaurant is simply another embarrassing effort by a Scottsdale restauranteur to create a profitable concept restaurant from a type of cooking that he knows absolutely nothing about. In essence, a beautiful, real-life example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. When will these naive businessmen learn that great BBQ comes from the competition circuit, not some fru-fru chef? And, what an expensive lesson this will be when this place is out-of-business in less than 6 months, guaranteed, unless they have some REALLY deep pockets!

My friend and I are both KC guys. We know the real stuff when we eat it, and this ain't it. In two words, the meat is absolutely tasteless. To quote my friend, "It tastes like he forgot to put rub on it." Additional adjectives include dry, bland and boring. We'll never go there again, and I, too, wonder what "awards" this establishment's ribs have earned. I certainly didn't see any American Royal trophies. I imagine the award was given by the chef's wife and children for best ribs of the family BBQ.

Having lived in Scottsdale for 15 years, I've long hoped that some decent BBQ would show up. My hopes have been dashed many times: Bad to the Bone, Big Daddys, Big Earls, Dickeys, and now Hogs 'n Hops have all turned out to be disgraceful pretenders that no amount of cartoon pig logos, mason jar drinks, star emblems on the wall or country music tunes can overcome. So, for now, my wait will continue.

Little Miss BBQ guys, are you listening? How about another joint at Scottsdale Road and Shea.... one with a decent parking lot and a few more helpers?
#3 - April 29, 2015, 09:28:03 pm

Yeller

The good news Beavis is there will probably be a commercial smoker and other stuff hitting the market soon.
#4 - April 30, 2015, 06:35:14 am
Classy Q BBQ - Retired

KCBS CBJ
Kamado x2
Weber 22/18
Weber Baby Q

"why are we in this handbasket and where are we going?"

Mark

Beavis nailed it. Love how LMB hasn't fallen for any of that shtick. Make great BBQ and they will come.  :P
#5 - April 30, 2015, 08:49:53 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mark

Well, here's your wish for yet another BBQ joint at Scottsdale Rd & Shea. (I live a little over a mile from there myself.)

http://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/dining/2015/04/30/great-powerful-pig-open-fall/26589577/
#6 - April 30, 2015, 03:35:33 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

toys4dlr

Guess we need to open a Q-to-U-BBQ out there.  I was actually looking at a spot on Scottsdale and Thomas, but I think it has kinda fallen through.  THe search continues
#7 - April 30, 2015, 11:41:41 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Members: