AZ Barbeque.com

Bryan's Black Mountain Barbecue

Discussion started on

Mark

jmcrig

I bet it's not as good as what's being cooked up at Pulte.
#2 - November 13, 2009, 04:24:24 pm

Mark

I'm sure you are right.
#3 - November 13, 2009, 09:43:23 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

Amazing food today. I'm surprised the results aren't posted.
#4 - November 14, 2009, 04:11:21 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jmcrig

Amazing food today. I'm surprised the results aren't posted.

Call Mike and tell him to get the show on the road.   >:D
#5 - November 14, 2009, 04:14:54 pm

azkitch

Bryan's gets great reviews from all who try it.
#6 - November 18, 2009, 12:43:36 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

jcross

#7 - March 12, 2010, 06:53:48 pm

jake austin

Im new here and I want to thank you guys for having this site!! Im a BBQ "enthusiast" and am ALWAYS in search of a "regular" BBQ joint for me to go to!

Ill give a short review of the Bryan's experience that I had. It was PACKED the day I went, so maybe its a bad day to judge.

Atmosphere: A- outside having to clean your own table(and cleaning a table after someone else's BBQ is gross)  I thought the ambience was great.  Order like your at McDonalds and then wait for your name to be called.  Again, going to Cave Creek is fun anyway, so the atmosphere was good.

Brisket: C+   Im confused by what Arizonan's call Brisket.  This was served AZ style in slices such as prime rib or a roast beef sandwhich.  The flavor was fair, not great and it seemed a little "chewy" but again, Im used to "Brisket" being shaved or almost in a "pulled" fashion.  I guess I have to adjust to this sliced AZ style.

Pulled Pork: C+  Opposite here, the flavor was VERY good.  It was, however, outweighed by the actual quality of the meat.  I had to stop chewing and pull "grissly" stuff out of my mouth on numerous occasions.  Too bad as the flavor was really good.  This is where the PACKED may have hurt them(quality suffered due to a CRAZY busy day)

Beans:  C-   This is definately a personal opinion as these were Texas style beans that seemed like they were out of a can.  They werent bad, they were edible, but they were just kind of Blah.  I like beans to have the same flavor as the sauces at the restraunt and it just seemed that they didnt spend much time on their recipe for their beans.   

Thats all I had.  Overall I would give them a C+.   Not worth going out of your way to drive to Cave Creek, but if your there, not a place to avoid.  It didnt make the DNR list(Do not return) but I would not go out of my way*(and thats WAY up there in CC)
#8 - April 17, 2010, 07:32:12 am

jmcrig

Jake, I don't understand your evaluation of the brisket. I've never eaten there, but to say it's an Arizona style. That kind of got me. I grew up in the Kansas City area, and have eaten BBQ there since the early 50's. I still go back there quite often. When I'm back there I eat at Bryants, Gates, Rosedale, and Quicks. That being said, I've never had brisket that was shaved or shredded. Memphis is no different, and the Texas Hill Country, they'd probably shoot you for shredding brisket. In your other post you said you and your friends judged, then you know what the KCBS standard is for brisket. 3/8 inch slices. BBQ is very subjective, and regional. But to judge a man's brisket down because you don't like the fact that his presentation, which is pretty much the standard, isn't right.
Now, with all that being said, I've got a brisket in the smoker right now that I plan on pulling for lunch sandwiches next week.
Jake, don't take this as a personal attack, it is only my personal take on your post.  ;D
#9 - April 17, 2010, 09:02:58 am

squealers

shaving brisket usually mean not tender enough, so we'll try to hide that by shaving it as thin as possible and maybe the judges will not notice  ;) ;)
you'll never get that in a winning box, I agree!
#10 - April 17, 2010, 04:19:25 pm
Taboo BBQ
Spicy Mike, Martin, plus a newbie

birdie64

I am a certified judge and I am not aware of a 3/8" "standard" regarding the brisket slice.  I really need to find out what the standards are on all the products.  Can you tell me where to find this info?  The only thing provided in my class is a thin, red paper book of 22 pages that covers all aspects of judging.  There is not alot of info in this book and certainly no "standards".  Page 22 of this book states: "However, always judge the brisket for the way it is cooked, not by the thickness of the slice".  Anyway, if there a printed standards I need them.  If they exist I have been doing a poor job judging.  Can you tell me where to find them?   
#11 - April 17, 2010, 04:59:09 pm

jake austin

jmcrig, calling me out on my knowledge of BBQ?? Those are fighting words!! lol just kidding..

Well, I guess what I am saying is that the thickness of the slices is much thicker and chewier here than what I am used to.  It is not what I would call "Beef" such as a "Beef on Bun with fries" if you've been to Gates as you say. Whatever the 3/8 inch rule is, I have not taken my ruler out to eat lately, but you haven't, don't and won't see the word "brisket" on a menu at Gates nor for that matter Arthur Bryant's or Rosedales(may be wrong there).  It is simply called "Beef".  Maybe thats what I dont care for, the "brisket".  Lol. 

But I can assure you, the beef is plenty tender Squealers, as can be told by the hundreds of blue ribbons on their walls.  So, somehow they got "that" in a bunch of "winning boxes". 

I agree, its a regional dialect to the food, if you will, but I guess I just havent tasted what I consider "A"(Gates, Bryants, Rosedales)  "Beef" yet here and they all seem similar, thick and quite chewy!
#12 - April 17, 2010, 05:26:47 pm

jake austin

and jmcrig, I never "judged"...I meant we walked around and "judged" on our own criteria!  Which one tasted the best!  Im not a "judge" except in my own mind! LOL
#13 - April 17, 2010, 05:34:54 pm

jmcrig

and jmcrig, I never "judged"...I meant we walked around and "judged" on our own criteria!  Which one tasted the best!  Im not a "judge" except in my own mind! LOL
Now I understand your shredded commit. At most events the "Peoples Choice" is served basically pulled because of the small portions, and it's easier that way. You should take the next judging class if you can.
#14 - April 17, 2010, 05:47:03 pm

azkitch

I'm going to take it upon myself to start a thread regarding judging brisket...C'mon over, guys!
#15 - April 17, 2010, 09:23:57 pm
CBJ # 53779

Members: