AZ Barbeque.com

Lon's Cookin Shack - Provo UT.

Discussion started on

Griln4u

After dropping our son off at college in NE. it was about Yellowstone the itch for some good Q set in. Not smart enough to stop in a town and open a phone book we randomly wandered through a couple states before we stumbled onto a place in UT. Provo Utah that is. Lon's Cookin Shack. From the outside it was decorated in full BBQ decor.  Upon entry we were happy to see that they were actually slicing some brisket and pulling some pork just behind the front counter so that got the juices flowing. After a brief menu consultation we were greeted by the owner (Lon) who proclaimed that this is the "Best in the State" so with that I ordered up the sampler for two. I guess i was just overly hungry and expecting more for my 30 bucks when they delivered it to the table but after eatting all of it was pleasantly full.
It was tasty but not real flavorful (if that makes sense). Chicken as we could see when ordering was cooked in a class front rotisserie, the brisket was thick sliced (I like mine thin or even chopped) and gray in color ans was the pulled pork and the four St Louie bones,,, a definite absence of any smoke ring... Lon came out and we had a brief chat about NBBA & AZ Barbeque, swapped a few quick recipes (they had some killer sauces and a honey butter cold concoction that was fantastic) and then the $10,000 question. What kind of smoker are you using here at the restaurant?  O- um, I have a mobile Brinkman  at home and a couple others here and there not currently in use, I believe i heard... Which splains the absence of the smoke ring.
Anyhow, staff was great, place looked cool, Lon said he is opening a couple more in the south  of UT this year so perhaps next time you are passing through Page or Kanab you can look for them. I would stop in again as there just ain't enough good places to stop along the trail.. Or they are just to hard to find...Um mm Michael, there's a thought.. A western states BBQ directory... for the glove box even
#1 - August 20, 2009, 08:34:36 am

desertdog

Yeah, usually if i pull into a BBQ joint I have never been to, I usually swing around the back to see if they have something sitting outside, if I don't see a smoker, then I look on the roof of the building for a stack that looks pretty well used and sooty.  If I don't see either I either leave or, if I am real hungry, at least proceed with caution.
#2 - August 20, 2009, 08:44:14 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Three4Que

I think I'd just skip Lon's and head a bit further north to T's restaurant in Taylorsville, "Q4U".  Now that would be some good eats!!!!
#3 - August 20, 2009, 12:23:34 pm
Smokin' Critters BBQ Team
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge
"Keep it low and slow"

ASU Alumni

AzJohnnyC

I'm glad Garmin gps has a "barbecue" button.
#4 - August 20, 2009, 02:28:37 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Too Funny Bob.  I can't tell you how many times we hear that when we go to BBQ Restaurants.

Glad you had a safe trip and are back home.  Look forward to seeing you again soon.  ;)
#5 - August 20, 2009, 03:08:52 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Jubesbbq

That is what I like about BBQ, Q, Cue, Barbecue, barbeque, bar-b-q, bar-b-que . ..  . .

Everyone thinks theirs is some of the best, some people will probably agree and others will definitely find fault. From an eating stand point I love to agree to disagree with all comers.  For those of us in the business, we have to somewhat cater to what people will buy and our pure (some more purest than others) standards for cue.

Read the book by Holy Smoke by Reed/Reed/McKinney and you will get a feel how our grandfathers evolved our art.  I could go on for hours of chat on he history lesson the book gives.

this would be a great talk/presentation at the next AZ Barbeque Convention.  :lamp:

Jeff
#6 - August 23, 2009, 07:52:12 pm

RobOConnell

That is what I like about BBQ, Q, Cue, Barbecue, barbeque, bar-b-q, bar-b-que . ..  . .

Everyone thinks theirs is some of the best, some people will probably agree and others will definitely find fault. From an eating stand point I love to agree to disagree with all comers.  For those of us in the business, we have to somewhat cater to what people will buy and our pure (some more purest than others) standards for cue.

Read the book by Holy Smoke by Reed/Reed/McKinney and you will get a feel how our grandfathers evolved our art.  I could go on for hours of chat on he history lesson the book gives.

this would be a great talk/presentation at the next AZ Barbeque Convention.  :lamp:

Convention? We have conventions?

Rob

Jeff
#7 - August 23, 2009, 08:06:13 pm
UDS (love it most)
Pro Q
Brinkmans Smoke n Grill (now belongs to my daughter)

Jubesbbq

time will only tell!
#8 - August 23, 2009, 08:13:48 pm

Lizard333

Yeah, usually if i pull into a BBQ joint I have never been to, I usually swing around the back to see if they have something sitting outside, if I don't see a smoker, then I look on the roof of the building for a stack that looks pretty well used and sooty.  If I don't see either I either leave or, if I am real hungry, at least proceed with caution.

That is too funny!! :D  There is a new BBQ resuratunt opening up here in Flagstaff that is called Smokehouse BBQ, and they haven't opened up yet.  I think they are the guys that used to be camped out next to the Museam club for a long time.  If it is the same people, I don't think they actually "smoke" their "BBQ".  I have tried it on several occaisions, and it tasts like all they put on their meat was a BBQ rub, I could never find any smoke ring, or flavor for that matter.  Anyways, I have driven behind their place a couple of times, while waiting for the joint to open, to see if I can see a smoker.  Nothing.  It isn't looking good for them putting one in the building, unless they are going to disasimble it and rebuild it in the store, as the back door is far to small.  Funny that I am not the only one that does this!! :D
#9 - September 09, 2009, 10:39:18 am
Bueller... Bueller...  Bueller..........

Griln4u

Check this out. After reading the post above about the Smokehouse in Flagg I thought they may have got it mixed up with that Husband Wife team with the Big Yellow Smoking Rig. Cant remember their name but they are in here quite a bit. Met them several times, nice folks  and pretty good food. Anyhow found this on line
Message from The Smokehouse
This place serves the Museum Club and has the best BBQ we have tasted since we left Texas. The all you can eat specials are the greatest.

I have eaten there before,one time, no more. Hell I am 400 lbs and I just think some people consider "all you can eat" as automatically "good"  I just don't get it.

PS I do that drive by thing too but it's usually the Miller Lite sign that grabs my attention first.
#10 - September 11, 2009, 02:03:40 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I think you are talking about Papa's Smokehouse and I doubt it's them up in Flagstaff.  They are in CA...
#11 - September 15, 2009, 07:13:07 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Members: