AZ Barbeque.com

L & L Hawaiian Barbecue

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Bear, we thought of you today.  George (galoz) and myself went to L & L Hawaiian Barbecue today for lunch.  They opened a new resturant over at I-17 and Happy Valley Road.

We each ordered something different so we could try a wide range of what they had to offer.

I tried their Seafood Combo which consisted of Fried Shrimp, Fried Mahi Mahi and Kalua Pork.

George ordered the BBQ Mix Plate which consisted of Beef, Short Ribs and Chicken.

After trying all of it, we both agreed that the Kalua Pork was by far the best, but it was all great.  The Mahi Mahi was cooked just right, you can't really go wrong with the Shrimp, the Beef was tender, the short ribs were a bit over done, and the chicken was outstanding.

Overall, a much different experience than I was thinking it would be, but I was very satisfied and really enjoyed the meal.

Seems like they have quite a menu there that we will have to keep trying out.  Their web site is www.hawaiianbarbecue.com

Out of 5 cows, I give it a 4.5.  ;)
#1 - March 06, 2006, 01:42:03 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

bearbonez

L & L is larget plate lunch franchise in Hawaii, they have expanded to CA, AZ, and NV. That is typical local fare. The plates you got only come in one size. The non combo plates come as a mini (one scopp rice, one scoop mac salad), or regular (2 scoops rice, 1 scoop mac salad). I imagine the scoops are pretty small there. Here the rice portions get bigger the further away from waikiki you get.
#2 - March 06, 2006, 04:38:14 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

bearbonez

Actually that is ti leaves from the taro plant. The dish is called lau lau. Either chicken or pork. Tell ya what. I am thinking an event this summer will have to be a luau. A theme party type.
#3 - March 09, 2006, 10:19:30 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Now that sounds like it would be a fun get together.

I'm in...

George, this isn't a free pass for you to wear a grass skirt though..
#4 - March 09, 2006, 10:31:22 pm
Michael J. Reimann

bearbonez

AWWW...there goes my outfit...
 Actually, cheap tiki torches, aloha shirts, lei's, mai tais, lava flows, tropical juice, that kinda thing. we have plenty of hawaiian CD's, and the recipe's...oh did I mention I love to cook??
#5 - March 09, 2006, 10:34:55 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey, I'm game for it, I bet that would be a blast.

I got the shirt too, can't properly BBQ without one..

Tiki Torches, that sounds like a great atmosphere...
#6 - March 09, 2006, 10:43:23 pm
Michael J. Reimann

ddog27

I love this place. L&L is really good.

Speaking of Hawaiian places, I was sad when the Hilo Hatties in AZ Mills Mall closed because they used to have this great Huli-Huli sauce that goes great on chicken. Oh well I guess I could order it online!
#7 - March 13, 2006, 07:19:45 am
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:37:33 am by ddog27 »
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

bearbonez

Ddog, yes they do have it online and a few other things. I will try and hunt down another link for some other hawaiian products great for BBQ. Like guava and lilikoi jellies which are great for glazes on pork and chicken. But before making an order, go check out trader vic's in Scottsdale. I understand they carry quite a bit.
#8 - March 13, 2006, 08:19:45 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

ddog27

Ddog, yes they do have it online and a few other things. I will try and hunt down another link for some other hawaiian products great for BBQ. Like guava and lilikoi jellies which are great for glazes on pork and chicken. But before making an order, go check out trader vic's in Scottsdale. I understand they carry quite a bit.

Is that Guava wood any good? I have heard mixed reviews on it.
#9 - March 14, 2006, 06:45:36 am
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

bearbonez

I actually haven't used any. I just never took the time to go cut any. It is a very mild and fruity wood from what I hear. Although most people here that use wood for smoke or grilling fire use kiawe.
#10 - March 14, 2006, 07:10:32 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Members: