AZ Barbeque.com

Kansas City BBQ Recommendations

Discussion started on

donlapalma

Hi all!  I'm headed to Kansas City this weekend to complete my KCBS judging certification.  I'm there for two nights and think I'll have time to hit up 3 BBQ spots.  I've been doing research online and read through the older threads here, but wanted to get some fresh information from my fellow Arizonans.  I'll be staying downtown so distance is a factor.  Here is my short list of candidates so far:

• Oklahoma Joe's
  • Smokin Guns
  • Arthur Bryant's
  • Jack Stack

Any words of advice?  I'm reading a lot of comments that Arthur Bryant's disappoints so should I just skip it altogether?  LC's sounded good, but it is a little farther than I would like.  Any feedback is appreciated!
#1 - July 22, 2014, 11:29:31 am

txbbq

Hi all!  I'm headed to Kansas City this weekend to complete my KCBS judging certification.  I'm there for two nights and think I'll have time to hit up 3 BBQ spots.  I've been doing research online and read through the older threads here, but wanted to get some fresh information from my fellow Arizonans.  I'll be staying downtown so distance is a factor.  Here is my short list of candidates so far:

• Oklahoma Joe's
  • Smokin Guns
  • Arthur Bryant's
  • Jack Stack
Gates ( down town)
Any words of advice?  I'm reading a lot of comments that Arthur Bryant's disappoints so should I just skip it altogether?  LC's sounded good, but it is a little farther than I would like.  Any feedback is appreciated!
#2 - July 22, 2014, 11:55:51 pm

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Smokin Guns made Diners, Drive-ins and Dives Awhile back. Supposed to be good brisket
#3 - July 24, 2014, 10:37:53 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Mark

Arthur Bryant's underwhelmed me, but it the holy grail to many. The burnt ends I had were hard and close to unedible. I probably should have said something, but that would be like telling the Pope that his communion wafers were stale.

I haven't been, but I have never heard a bad thing about Oklahoma Joe's. To many, it is the top spot.
#4 - July 25, 2014, 07:05:33 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Members: