AZ Barbeque.com

J. Ruggs Southern BBQ

Discussion started on

BERNIETHEK

Hey Dave,  Since you don't know me either I'm old bald guy with the AZBBQ shirt on.  But not to worry I hear it's a small place so it won't be a problem.  Looked at their menu and don't really see a sample plate, i.e. ribs, brisket and pulled pork but could be wrong.  See you at high noon...
#16 - March 09, 2010, 09:21:05 am
BERNIE

dave from mesa

I think if you ask they will make up a plate like that. See ya tomorrow.
#17 - March 09, 2010, 09:43:39 am
dave from mesa

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes.

glenntm

See everyone then.  I'll be in the black AZBBQ shirt.  The middle aged fat dude....
#18 - March 09, 2010, 09:45:35 am

RudedoggAZ

See everyone then.  I'll be in the black AZBBQ shirt.  The middle aged fat dude....

You're going to stick out like a sore thumb in the BBQ world ;D I was going to try to make it but have to be in Tucson tomorrow morning. I may be able to make the trip back by then but we will see.
#19 - March 09, 2010, 11:39:34 am

BERNIETHEK

Let me see middle aged old guy in little white car,  old bald guy with AZBBQ shirt and  middle aged fat dude in in black AZBBQ shirt and then there is Mike.  I'm sure all the women on this site are probably thinking I wish I could be there.  O'h well....
#20 - March 09, 2010, 11:46:11 am
BERNIE

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Hey now... Chicks Dig Us..

I will be the Hot looking guy wearing the Black AZBarbeque Polo Shirt driving the Killer AZBarbeque Truck and having all our BBQ Groupie Chicks honking at me..  Oh yea...
#21 - March 09, 2010, 11:57:48 am
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

BBQChris

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Stopped in here today for lunch with a few of our AZBarbeque members, Bernie, Tom, Dave, Tommy, Jen & Jeremy.  Had a great time.

They were swampped, but enjoying it.  Bernie & I ordered up their Picnic Lunch and wow, it was a lot of food.  It came with Brisket, Pork, Sausage, Texas Toast, Ribs, Beans, Mac & Cheese, Waffle Fries & Cole Slaw.

It was all very good, the ribs were a little over done, but still OK.  Really liked the sausage, pork & Brisket.

Hope to get back in there soon when they are not quite as busy. 

It's a family operation and they all seem to work together well.  It was nice seeing them interact & enjoy what they were doing.
#23 - March 10, 2010, 04:13:25 pm
Michael J. Reimann

dave from mesa

Well thanks for doing this close to home. It was nice meeting everyone and putting names to faces. Hope to see ya in Chandler next weekend.
#24 - March 10, 2010, 09:00:03 pm
dave from mesa

Vietnam Vets may be eligible for medical care and disability compensation. Contact the VA if you have prostate cancer or type 2 diabetes.

KidCurry

...the ribs were a little over done, but still OK. 

I think a lot of places due this, its what the "public" expects.
#25 - March 11, 2010, 08:57:13 am
KidCurry@AZBarbeque.com
KCBS CBJ
Mike boils his ribs....pass it on.

BERNIETHEK

The best part of yesterday was all of us being together and tail gating on the back of Mike's truck.  Place was  crowded and no seats so Mike pulls up his AZ BBQ truck right at the front door and we hung out there.  That was really cool...

As far as the food goes, the ribs where not to good but the rest was OK.   Plan to go back in a month or so when they are less crowded and try again.

But we didn't go away hungry.  I think Mike to put some meat on these old bones before we go on the cruise.
#26 - March 11, 2010, 10:07:09 am
BERNIE

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Yes, the tailgating part was pretty cool...  That's how we roll Bernie...  ;D
#27 - March 11, 2010, 11:42:01 am
Michael J. Reimann

AZ KICKIN' QUE

Anybody else try this place since the AZBBQ crew was there? I haven't been able to go until this coming weekend and was wondering if there were any more opinions. My coworker, who's from Georgia, raves about this place. She says it's the closest she's come to true Southern BBQ as she knows it. Just curious.
CJ
#28 - April 22, 2010, 12:35:40 pm

Corvidae

I went there for lunch today with some co-workers.  We all agreed it was very good.  We tried the ribs, brisket, sausage and chicken.  The ribs were seasoned very well.  I didn't even try them with sauce I enjoyed them without it.  The brisket was excellent as was the sausage.  The chicken was a little dry but good as well.  I enjoyed the spicy sauce.  It wasn't too hot for me since I am a chile head but for those with low heat tolerance may find it just right.  Overall, I was very please and will be going back again.
#29 - May 12, 2010, 02:01:39 pm

mustang

195 folks have voted on J. Ruggs Southern Georgia restaurant in Mesa; 93% like this BBQ joint

Check it out at:http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/22/1490257/restaurant/Phoenix/J-Ruggs-Southern-BBQ-Mesa

[attachment deleted by admin]
#30 - May 20, 2010, 06:48:17 pm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:01:03 pm by mustang »

Members: