AZ Barbeque.com

Honey Bear's in Tempe

Discussion started on

Captain BBQ

Just hit Honey bears in Tempe last weekend.  I got the pulled pork and a couple of ribs.  The pork and ribs were okay.  I really enjoyed the beans though.  They were very good.  Best I have had in Phoenix so far.  The pork was clearly smoked and moist, but not enough smoke for me.  They said they use mesquite, when I asked the cook.  I prefer hickory.  The ribs were the weakest.  All-in-all it was average to good. I wouldn't go out of my way, but if I was there, I would go again.

The Captain   
#1 - February 05, 2011, 10:27:14 pm

brandon

Honey Bears has always been solid for me. They do use Mesquite as there is not many Hickory trees in AZ. Depending on the location and day you might get good to just ok BBQ but never have I been disappointed. The best Q in town is at Q2U in Anthem if you don't mind a ride up North. When I am downtown I do gravitate to Honey Bears in front of the Tovrea Castle on Van Buren.
#2 - February 06, 2011, 12:27:02 am

Captain BBQ

That is great news for me as I live just 5 miles from Anthem.  I will go check it out.  Thanks for the recommendation.
#3 - February 06, 2011, 09:31:15 am

Crash

I agree with Brandon.  Q2U all the way.
#4 - February 06, 2011, 03:20:41 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

toys4dlr

Hello Captain,

Stop on by at Q-to-U-BBQ (Not on Monday's, as that is my day off  ;D) and find myself or Karyn, I would love to meet you.  We are in the Ace Hardware Shopping center, behind the Circle K at 3434 W. Anthem Way, on the corner of Anthem Way and Gavilan Peak.

Thanks guys for the support, I we appreciate it.

David
#5 - February 07, 2011, 08:13:46 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

bucaguy

Since I live in North Phoenix I may have to bring the wife up and check you guys out as well.
#6 - February 07, 2011, 09:33:31 am
Owner of Sin Bin BBQ and Member of Fat Man Que bbq team
Just some big heavy offset right now.

toys4dlr

Come on up, just remember to say hi to Karyn or myself. 

PS - Mark of Honey Bears is a really good guy and loves BBQ, we spent a little time talking a few weeks back over at Shamrock Farms.  Real good guy.

David
#7 - February 07, 2011, 07:09:08 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Laveen-BBQ

I am usually not one to bash on a local place but the meal I just had there was one of the worst I have ever had.  I believe they boil their ribs before they grill them not smoke them.  My brisket was a shredded dry mess, and my wife's chicken was dry.  I have eaten at HBs several times and have never been impressed but this time was my last trip to the place.
#8 - September 11, 2011, 01:42:33 pm

Members: