AZ Barbeque.com

Big Earl's BBQ

Discussion started on

Mark

Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

tbonejc

The article mentioned doing a whole suckling pig.  Maybe we can get a group together when it opens to get that whole pig.  I know it was done at Catalina BBQ and heard it was really fun.
#2 - January 21, 2011, 03:10:14 pm

akurasch

I was the 1st customer in the door for its opening to the public this evening.

RIBS:  The best of the meats.  Good flavor.

1/2 Chicken:  On the sweeter side.  Could have used a little more smokiness.

Pulled Pork: Pretty good, but definitely needed sauce added.

Brisket:  Needs some work.  Very fatty and a bit tough.

Sides were all very good.  My father had the bone marrow appetizer and loved it.

Overall worth a visit.  1st night open to the public so I'm sure they are still working on some final touches.
#3 - February 04, 2011, 08:35:18 pm

AzJohnnyC

A group of us were there last night for a pre-opening event.  Had some decent samples there.  They'll have a good restaurant there.
#4 - February 04, 2011, 10:07:20 pm
Whiskey Business BBQ
WWW.Facebook.com/whiskeybusinessbbq

Weber 22-1/2 Silver
Twin Pro Q Excel 20s
Lang 84 Deluxe

RudedoggAZ

I agree  with johnny... they still have some work to do but I'm sure things will work out. Great location!
#5 - February 04, 2011, 11:50:07 pm

brandon

I wish them the best. Seems like a great start to a good restaurant and can't wait to try it.
#6 - February 05, 2011, 12:53:56 am

beavis

I'll make my review short and to the point. If you have ever eaten real BBQ in a place like Kansas City or Memphis, then make no mistake, Big Earl's is nothing of the sort. It is a dainty pretender with Scottsdale prices and pretense and the authenticity of a lawyer at a dude ranch.

Here are my grades:

Sauce: F  BBQ Sauce is somewhat of a misnomer, as the actual product tastes like an apricot glaze that one might find at Whole Foods. No spice. No depth. No punch. Not even BBQ sauce in my book.

Ribs: C-  As the other poster noted, the ribs are Big Earl's best meat. The quality was good and the  meat was tender and well-cooked. However, the flavor was overly sweet, somewhat like the ribs at Lucille's. No hearty BBQ flavor. Simply a soaked in Karo syrup taste that is decent for the first few bites but rapidly becomes bland and boring.

Brisket: F  As the other poster eluded, the brisket has a spongy, chewing on fat texture and I simply couldn't eat it.

Pulled Pork: D  Tender and juicy, but with a boiled in water flavor.

Chicken: C- (limited review)  One bite revealed a tender bird that was well cooked but had little flavor.

Potato Salad: D  Much like cubed potatoes with creamy salad dressing poured on top.

Beans: F  Severely lacking in flavor and heartiness.

Other thoughts: Though not true BBQ for the aficionado, Big Earl's will probably outlast Scottsdale's other big pretender, Big Daddy's, as its decor is inviting and it is located in a very touristy location in Old Town, so it can survive without repeat customers. Moreover, it has a bar where a fair number of people were enjoying a glass of Chardonnay, so it may be catching a few patrons from the bar crowd.

I briefly met the owner. Maybe an off night, but not the friendliest dude. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He looks a lot more like a businessman-restauranteur type than a pit master. I doubt he'd last five minutes at Arthur Bryant's!

Conclusion: Wimpy, wussy, made-in-France BBQ. I won't be back.
#7 - February 12, 2011, 06:47:59 am
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:26:40 am by beavis »

AZWildcat

Tell us how you really feel Clarence??.....your issue might be that same as so many others, which is comparing commercial bbq to comp bbq  (which you may or may not do). A good bbq restaurant needs time to get things like timing and customer taste down pat. I think Famous Daves does an excellent job of putting out mass amounts of really good Q, not comp quality, but pretty freaking good. They have also had a few decades head start. I always give a bbq restaurant a second chance, as long as the prices are not way too high. I'ts tougher than you think to run one, let them get their feet wet, take a break, and give it another shot. As for Big Daddy's, haven't heard much bad about it, actually far more good than bad. I haven't been to either, but is there a local joint anywhere that you prefer? I've learned to never compare AZ  :exclaim: to Dreamland or Arthur Bryant's, which i've had both (and it's a heavenly experience, esp Dreamland).
#8 - February 12, 2011, 08:31:22 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

beavis

AZWildcat,

I have a lot of respect for anyone who opens and runs his own business and I'm sure that the owner has put in an enormous effort to get Big Earl's going. Furthermore, I am confident that there are many people out there that will enjoy Big Earl's food. For general public consumption, it's fine.

HOWEVER, this web site is obviously for the hardcore BBQ enthusiast .... those, like yourself, who have tried the good stuff and enjoy and appreciate it. Big Earl's does not belong in this arena and it would be disingenuous for me to sugar coat their ratings or somehow proclaim that it is off-limits for me to compare it to BBQ that I actually like. Please note, though, that I would not place such a negative review in a more open forum such as Google maps.

As for local joints, with mixed emotions, I agree with your assessment of Famous Dave's. They usually do a pretty reasonable job there. It is kind of sad, though, that a chain restaurant is in the conversation for best in town. They put one up near the Sprint Center in Kansas City and the locals pretty much laughed them out of town.
#9 - February 12, 2011, 10:02:20 am

jmcrig

If you are looking for a good local BBQ joint, I'd go with Q to U, Three Pits Again, and dependent on the day, Joe's in Gilbert. My two cents. ;D
#10 - February 12, 2011, 10:15:05 am

RudedoggAZ

Even if I opened a bbq joint, I would never label it "bbq" maybe roadhouse or smokehouse??? too much room for judgement. As for big earls, chef porter is a good guy, its only a matter of time to see what happens.  It is what it  is... I wish I had the chance to open a restaurant! Give it a chance, its a great location and at the end of the day, if u don't like it, don't eat there Nuff said, that's my .02
#11 - February 12, 2011, 07:21:39 pm

toys4dlr

I have not been to Big Earl's, so I have nothing to say about the quality.  I hope they do well. 

However, I would like to point out when you are comparing a new BBQ place to an established place in (Fill In the Blank, KC, Texas, TN, etc.) you might have to look at the smoker.  The modern health department is a PIA as to the kind of smoker that is allowed and many of the "Old School" places have smokers that would never pass the requirements today, but are grandfathered in.  So, if it is a certain type or flavor you crave from the old school pits, it is tough to duplicate in the modern place.

My 2 cent's on the subject.   ;D   
#12 - February 13, 2011, 07:32:53 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Members: