AZ Barbeque.com

Big Daddy's BBQ

Discussion started on

tbonejc

So what do we get for the $10?  Might have to order more :)
#16 - April 20, 2010, 10:48:01 pm

smitty250

Anyone else go to Big Daddy's on Saturday? The family and I went and here is the low down: We got there right at 6:00pm like it says on the flyer when the start time was. We paid $10 each to get in. The line was pretty long and the place was already packed at 6:00pm. We entered and asked how everything was structured. A guy said there is a buffet line up front for samples and servers will be passing around samples. We waited about 30 - 40 minutes for a table to open up. We had my son Jimmy and daughter Saylor with us so there was no way were grabbing samples from a server and standing there to eat - we had to get the kids contained!! After we sat down I went up to the front to get some samples - they shut the buffet line down and said you have to get samples from the servers bringing food around. So I waited for the servers to come around and waited some more. Apparently they were brining samples around on a big tray and once they left the buffet line it to bring the samples around it was like buzzards attracted to a fresh kill - people would push you out of the way the get a rib - it was the worst organized grand opening I have ever seen. After weeding through the "buzzards" I finally got the family some samples. We tried the ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and a few sides. My wife said the ribs were too smokey, I like smoke so I was fine with the smokiness but the flavor wasn't there - it was very bland!! The pulled pork was sub-par as was the brisket. They covered the PP and Brisket in BBQ sauce - usually that means they are hiding something. Molly and I weren't a fan of the sauce so maybe the sauce ruined the meat?!? The BBQ Sauce was a Carolina vinegar based sauce. We also tried the baked beans which by the time we got a sample were cold, the slaw which was pretty decent, the fries, sweet potato fries, and tater tots - which were good but all they had to do was fry them. The creamed corn was good but cold like the mac and cheese.

Overall the best part of the night was knowing that our $20 was going to benefit the Foundation for Blind Children and my son getting to play on the Fire Engine they had out front. I will try Big Daddy's again because I know that there are always some hiccups when you open a new restaurant. I don't want to give up on this place since it is so close to me and I do like the atmosphere. Hopefully by the time I visit again they will have it all (or mostly) figured out and the quality of the BBQ is better!
#17 - April 26, 2010, 09:55:52 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2014 American Royal Open Reserve Grand Champion
2016 Jack Daniels Invitational World Pork Champion
2014, 2015 and 2016 AZ BBQ Team of the Year

beavis

“The category for authentic, smoked barbecue is nearly untouched in the Valley,” said Oliver Badgio with Mastro Development in a recent social media release.

Oh, how my hopes were up!

But, unfortunately, after visiting Big Daddy's (BD) Grand Opening benefit on Saturday night, the category remains as virginal as ever.

Here's the low-down:

We arrived early, quickly made it through the line to pay our $15 each (gave some extra), got our hands stamped and staked out a spot at one of the few open picnic tables. Inside, BD looks somewhat like a BBQ joint crossed with a Margarita bar, with picnic tables, big red umbrellas, concrete floors and huge garage doors that open the dining area to the elements outside. However, there were touches of Scottsdale everywhere, too, such as a full-service bar serving wine, vodka-cranberries and the like, and upon gazing at the rest of the décor, I noticed what historically has been a bad omen for many of the BBQ joints I've tried – a huge cartoon pig in human clothing on the wall. I'm sure there are exceptions, but a cartoon pig on the wall  usually spells “pretender” in my experience.

Nonetheless, let's get to the food. First, I should explain my rating system:

A = World Class. The type of place those in KC, Texas, Memphis or N. Carolina would take visitors.
B = Above Average. Not quite as good as the best, but easily satisfies a BBQ craving.
C = Average. Good enough to say it's BBQ, but leaves you craving something better.
D = Below Average. The type of place you might go to in a BBQ emergency, but then after eating you kind of wish you hadn't gone.
F = Unacceptable. So bad that you tell others not to eat it.

Well, on to Big Daddy's.

Sauce = F    ...There's no other way to put it. It's simply one of the most boring, bland “afterthoughts of a sauce” that I've ever tasted. Even worse, unlike any real BBQ joint, there's no extra sauce on the table or available at the condiment stations. You are stuck with what little sauce the cook thinks you deserve.

Brisket = D+ … Heavily smoked and fairly fatty, but with no real taste.

Pulled Pork= C- … I only got a small sample, so this grade could change. Meat seemed of good quality, but again, with no real flavor to hang your hat on.

Ribs = D- to F …. Very smoky, overly dry, and extremely salty.

Sweet potato fries = C … nothing notable
Mac and Cheese = C … ditto
Pasta Shells = D … no reason to ever order / eat these
Tater Tots = C … just like the frozen grocery store ones, but a bit smaller
Beans = ? … A litmus test for good BBQ and they never brought any out to our table
Chili = C to C+ ...not unreasonable, but why waste the stomach space?

Final Grade (tentative) = DNR (Do Not Return). I will give BD one more try, but only because it was opening night and it is very close to home and I am desperate for there to be a half way decent BBQ joint close to home.

Prediction and Suggestions: As it stands, I give BD about 4-5 months before it closes, depending on how deep the Mastro-makers pockets are these days. It is not nearly as good as Bad to the Bone, which was mediocre at best and the location is jinxed, anyways. The owners need to take a trip to one of the BBQ capitals, taste some real BBQ sauce and reformulate theirs ASAP to have any chance of survival, and then they could probably survive by fine-tuning the rubs and smoking process.
#18 - April 26, 2010, 09:47:07 pm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:46:57 am by beavis »

smitty250

^^^

Sounds like my review!
#19 - April 27, 2010, 08:49:06 am
Loot N' Booty BBQ

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Finally got a chance to get in here tonight and try out some of their BBQ.

The ambiance of this place is awesome.  You really feel like you are in a BBQ Joint when you walk in.  I like the way it's walk up ordering, then they bring your food to you at your table.

I ordered the 4 meat combo with 2 sides.  I got 1 beef Rib, 3 Baby Back ribs, Tri-Tip & Pork along with some Sweet Corn Bread and the two sides were Creamy Corn & Beans.

The Beef Rib & Tri Tip were awesome.  Some of the best I have tasted at any BBQ Restaurant.  They were both cooked perfect and the taste & flavor was amazing.  The smoke ring on the Beef Rib was perfect.  The Pork was good, had some decent flavor.  The Baby Back Ribs were over done.  Tasty Still and a good smoke ring, just over done.  The beans were OK at best.  They still need to work on them a bit.   The Creamy Corn was a HUGE hit with me.  It was awesome.  I wish I had ordered more.  Told them they need to do another version of it with Jalepeno's in it, so hopefully they do that.

I did talk with Owen, the General Manager there, and he said they are still working on the menu.  He knew the Baby Backs were overdone as they had been holding them since 4 pm.  They are still working on their processes and I'm sure they will get them down soon.  The beans he said they are tweaking them and adding in some Brisket for the future. 

I personally think a BBQ Restaurant needs to really have some good, quality Beans that brand them and I know Big Daddy's will have some soon.

Overall, it was a great experience.  Very clean, enjoyable dining experience and I would certainly go back.

I look forward to trying more of their menu soon, especially their smoked wings & Brisket.

Highly recommend the Beef Ribs, Tri-Tip & Creamy Corn.

If you get  chance, stop in there and tell them you are with AZBarbeque.

We will be planning a Club event there soon..
#20 - May 10, 2010, 08:41:52 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

smitty250

Chris and I decided to give Big Daddy's another chance for lunch today. I have to say that it was much better this time around. I had the 3 meat combo and took Mike's advice and got Tri-Tip, a beef rib, and Brisket, mac and cheese and sweet potato fries (they were out of tater tots!!). The brisket wasn't anything special but I was impressed with the beef rib and Tri-Tip. The beef rib was perfectly smoked and had an excellent flavor. The tri-tip was cooked almost perfectly but still was really good (I like it a little more rare). The mac and cheese was alot better this time - rich and creamy with melted cheese crust on top. Sweet potato fries were good but all you really have to do is deep fry them. I did like the corn bread it came with (dense with a nice sweet flavor). Overall it was much, much better than my first trip there. I would give it a solid B rating.
#21 - May 17, 2010, 01:12:37 pm
Loot N' Booty BBQ

desertdog

Hit this place for lunch today.  Had the 2 Meat platter with two sides.  I believe that a BBQ restaurant has to do the basics right if they are to succeed, so I ordered Brisket and P Pork, with a side of beans and cole slaw. 

I forgot to tell them sauce on the side, and ended up with sauce on both meats.  The brisket was mediocre, the PP was mush, and the beans and cole slaw were OK.  Really I can't say anything bad about the food, but it was uninspiring to say the least.  I did manage to get one piece of the brisket without sauce, and ended up having to drink a sip of beer to moisten it enough to swallow..... :(

I sat at the bar, and I have to say I really like the feel of the place.......seems like a great place to Day-Drink.  Beers are ice cold and the service was friendly.  I hope they can do something about the Que, because the place has so much potential. 

#22 - May 21, 2010, 02:42:54 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Members: