AZ Barbeque.com

Stacy's

Discussion started on

Mike (AZBarbeque)

I've eaten at Stacy's and no offense to 'em, but I don't think they're in the top 4 in Arizona. :-\

Or even Phoenix for that matter...
#16 - July 06, 2011, 08:28:40 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Captain BBQ

I have eaten at Stacy's.  It is marginal at best.  I thought it would be much better due to all the hype.  It has been in Bon Appetite magaize.  It smelled great outside, but I could not taste any smoke in the meat.  I generally like hickory and I heard Stacy does apple, pecan and hickory.  Just not spicy enough smoke for me.  I like the small atmoshpere, but more artsy than BBQy.

The BBQ sauce was the best thing.  It is worth bottling and selling.  I would have bought some, but it is not on the menu.
#17 - July 08, 2011, 10:54:13 pm

grizmt

The reviews swinging across the spectrum just goes to show good 'que is all about the taste of the person judging it. I'd hazard a guess that restaurant reviewers like Bon Appetite etc wouldn't know what "we" consider good if it bit 'em in the arse. Kind of like a french chef reviewing a mexican place. What the heck would he know about Carnitas? Also, don't forget that you can buy good reviews from many mags and tv shows with Ad dollars.

The other thing that we've found is it's really,really hard to eat restaurant bbq after A. Judging and eating some of the top stuff in the world. B.Cooking our own. C. Having been in the food business in past years. And finally, measuring it against some fantastic places like Q to U and others in many different states. Q to U is one of a short list of places that doesn't cook "production" bbq like the chain restaurants do (famous daves,corky's,sonny's etc) and that's why it stays on the top of our short list of AZ bbq though I do have to admit we haven't gotten down to Tucson to bug Mark yet (sorry old friend) but it is on the list.

As for snobby or arrogant owners or cooks, I've got no time for 'em and will not patronize places that have 'em. When you don't care about the customer or think you're doing them a favor by allowing them to eat your food it usually suffers badly and the place won't last.
#18 - July 09, 2011, 08:02:38 am

Mark

I was about a mile from home, driving by a vacant KFC today and saw it being worked on. The new sign? Stacy's. Looks like their second location will be at Shea & 70th Street, less than 1/2 mile from Dickey's.
#19 - July 09, 2011, 02:02:22 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Captain BBQ

Well, he will definitely do better than Dickey's.  I tried a Dickey's in Houston thinking I just had a bad expereince at the one in Happy Valley.  It is just as bad in Houston.
#20 - July 09, 2011, 06:50:06 pm

Mark

I've eaten at Dickey's once and that was in the DFW airport. It was enough for me. I'll probably give the new Stacey's a try, if for no other reason than to report here about it. I'm actually more excited about a TotalWine going in the neighborhood just a quarter-mile stagger from a Bevmo. ^-^
#21 - July 09, 2011, 09:40:44 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

beavis

FYI, the Scottsdale Stacy's is open. However, I ate there today and the BBQ is still quite poor. I had a good chuckle over the "#4 in country" rating while I was there. I haven't been that surprised by an award since President Obama won the Nobel Prize.
#22 - July 10, 2011, 03:25:54 pm

Members: