AZ Barbeque.com

Pro Q Excel 20's for sale

Discussion started on

Crash

BTW.. I brought some to the boys at BBQ Galores and the chef at AJ"s... the chef was blown away... he told me they would present that in their Gourmet dinner area.......

It really turned out nice...... took 3 1/2 hours.. I found the when smoking only a few items to go with two tiers and not to use the 3...... the third tier really changes the temp.... keeps the smoker at a lower temp over all....... do you get that too Crash?
The more surface area that you are heating, the more fuel it will take to get up to your desired temp.  We just cook on the amount of stackers that will hold the amount of meat that we need. 

The Excel 20 (2 stackers) temp being too low was a problem for us at first, but we think we have it dialed in now.  We filled up the entire basket w/ K and dropped about 15 lit coals in the middle.  It worked perfectly and stayed consistent for a good 10 hours in bad weather conditions.

You can definitely drop to one stacker, but you will be much closer to the heat source and have a higher grate temp.  I'd go w/ two stackers unless you are doing a high-heat cook.

#31 - May 18, 2009, 11:37:43 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Crash

Has anyone measured temps at grate level between all three tiers?   There has to be a sizable difference between top and bottom tier.

We havent Don.  Our first three tier cook will be this weekend, so we should have some observations next week.

From our experience, the temps on the 2 tier Pro Q grates have been w/ in 7-15 degrees, top grate being the higher temp.

I'm interested in how the three tier Excel 20 cooks on lump. 

#32 - May 18, 2009, 11:49:36 pm
VRM Pit Crew

ron b

well did my seasoning burn on my excel...    2 things i have noticed well 3  1.takes a bit of coal to even touch the temp. 2 better have gallons of water on hand big pan <good thing tho>
3 the handels are not insulated and seems to  1 get hot  2 hard to hold especially hot but for the $$ will do some mods.

rjb
#33 - May 20, 2009, 08:37:34 am
wwww.jncentertainmentservices.com

Crash

I still have a few of these available and Father's Day is right around the corner.

PM for info.
#34 - May 26, 2009, 04:52:15 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Thom Emery

1 Burns  a bunch of fuel/ Charcoal Basket a tad small
2 Time to try something other than water in that pan
3 A Guru to control temps seems a good idea
4 Well made smoker
#35 - May 26, 2009, 05:33:52 pm
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

force

I tested all three levels using lump and found about a 15 degree difference between the first tier (closest and hottest) to the third tier (cooler)... I got a bag of ONO charcoal which is suppose to be one of the hottest burning charcoals.. I was told to place just a few pieces in with the lump... I haven't tried it yet....... when I do.. I will post......
#36 - May 26, 2009, 09:58:18 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Crash

I picked up a few of these smokers today.  Most of them have already been spoken for by friends and family but I do have a handful left that I am willing to sell to AZBarbeque members. 

These smokers absolutely rock, just think of a 22" WSM on steroids.  We cook on the Excel 20's and I cant say a bad thing about them.  The handles (and each individual latching section) allow easy access to each grate.  Each individual grate section also has an eyelet for a temperature probe.  There is also a temp gauge on the top.

These are new and in the sealed box.  Price is $150 and that price does include the additional stacker.  Pictured is an Excel 20 with the additional stacker.

These cookers would make a great gift for Mother's Day, but I dont really advise that if you care to live.   ;D

PM me if you need any additional info.

I still have a few of these left if anyone is interested.
#37 - June 02, 2009, 09:08:58 pm
VRM Pit Crew

azkitch

Is the model pictured the one with the auto-fold legs?
#38 - June 02, 2009, 09:12:00 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Crash

Is the model pictured the one with the auto-fold legs?
Yup.
#39 - June 02, 2009, 09:15:13 pm
VRM Pit Crew

desertdog

Makes a nice conversation piece in the living room, I see.

#40 - June 02, 2009, 09:22:36 pm
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Crash

Makes a nice conversation piece in the living room, I see.

It used to Dean.  Lisa finally made me move it outside.

Chicks??  ::)
#41 - June 02, 2009, 09:27:30 pm
VRM Pit Crew

force

So it draws chicks attention?
#42 - June 02, 2009, 10:03:08 pm

Crash

So it draws chicks attention?
Yes...but negative attention is still attention.
#43 - June 02, 2009, 11:55:21 pm
VRM Pit Crew

force

try it in the bedroom and see what happens........ I bet you and smoker both go........lol
#44 - June 03, 2009, 09:24:31 pm

Crash

try it in the bedroom and see what happens........ I bet you and smoker both go........lol

Even I am not that brave.   ;D
#45 - June 03, 2009, 10:02:02 pm
VRM Pit Crew

Members: