AZ Barbeque.com

Looking for a used Stumps Baby or maybe BWS Chubby

Discussion started on

Az4946

I've been a long time Kamado Joe cooker and love the food they turn out. However, I'm interested in buying a good condition Stumps baby or possibly Backwoods Chubby to supplement my Kamados. Don't want to pay the high price of a new model not knowing if I'm gonna improve the quality of my cooks over the my Kamados. Any information regarding the benefits of a Stumps style pit over a Kamado would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Please send me a message if you have one of the above pits your looking to sale. Thanks again.
#1 - August 02, 2013, 03:10:34 pm

AZWildcat

As you may know, on the west coast used Stumps and Backwoods almost never come up, especially Stumps. There's only one team that I know of that has some used Backwoods, and I've been bugging them for a while to sell one to me. They seem to be like hens teeth out here.
#2 - August 02, 2013, 03:23:47 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

rgomez99 (Glazed and Confused in Gilbert)

Watch the California BBQ website. The Cali teams have a few backwoods smokers and sell them every now and then.
#3 - August 02, 2013, 04:06:27 pm
GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Smoker
GMG Jim Bowie Pellet Smoker
GMG Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker

Club Ambassador
robert@azbarbecue.com

toys4dlr

Stumps are great, but I was the only one out here that I knew with one.  Sometime I wish I still had it, but the FEC 100 works too.
#4 - August 02, 2013, 05:20:33 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

Az4946

Thanks for all the info. I'm really leaning towards a Stumps Baby due to the quality of the build and attention to detail (from what I can tell in pics and videos). At the same time it sounds like I would also be able to cook direct with a Backwoods where I would not be able to on a Stumps. Does it just come down to personal opinion? It would be nice to cook direct when you want to. Is there any benefit to a BWS or Stumps over a Kamado? Or is the quality of the meats equal in all 3?

Thanks again for all the posts and info.
#5 - August 04, 2013, 10:08:40 am

AZWildcat

With these levels of cookers....its the cook and not the cooker. IMHO.
#6 - August 04, 2013, 11:04:47 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

toys4dlr

THe kamado or BGE are great cookers.  THey suffer a little from capacity, but they multi task well.  Pizza, steaks, low and slow, etc.   If it is just for home use, they are great choices and a little cheaper than the Stumps or Backwoods.
#7 - August 04, 2013, 04:57:36 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

DVA

I am local and make pits for a hobby. Attached is a link to of one of my latest pits. I am working on some changes to make one with pellet cooker for the heat source. This design will only have one door much like the FEC 100 type design. With the pellet cooker design and a few changes, I was also thinking of making one that would run like a stumps or superior cooker minus the water pan.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/forums/showthread.php/4199-Project-3-from-DVA-BBQ-Winter-Time-Fun-Contest
#8 - August 10, 2013, 09:31:18 pm

Az4946

DVA, I sent you a PM. Would love to talk to you about this. Thx.
#9 - August 11, 2013, 10:35:28 am

Members: