AZ Barbeque.com

smoking a turkey on UDS

Discussion started on

145 grill

I am hoping  someone can help me. I am looking for tips on smoking a turkey on a UDS.  I will be cooking about a 14 lb turkey.

MIKE
#1 - November 03, 2011, 05:44:24 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

AZWildcat

Personally, and this doesnt help, i've tried it on my UDS and WSM, and I still can't beat the oven roasted turkey. However, don't oversmoke it. I found with Turkey, a little smoke goes a long way!
#2 - November 03, 2011, 05:56:29 pm
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

145 grill

Personally, and this doesnt help, i've tried it on my UDS and WSM, and I still can't beat the oven roasted turkey. However, don't oversmoke it. I found with Turkey, a little smoke goes a long way!
Thanks DAN
#3 - November 03, 2011, 05:57:30 pm
4-UDS
1-home offset

Atlas

#4 - November 03, 2011, 06:22:21 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

145 grill

I've smoked Turkey on a Brinkman water smoker, see previous post:
http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/introduce-yourself/please-allow-me-to-introduce-myself/msg84354/#msg84354
Thanks Atlas, what temp did you cook it to.
#5 - November 03, 2011, 06:33:42 pm
4-UDS
1-home offset

toys4dlr

I like to brine my turkey if possible.  If using a pre injected turkey you can skip the brining (IMHO).  I smoke them a little hotter at 275 until the internal temp is 160 in the breast.  To make sure the dark meat is done, place a bag of ice on the breast, it will chill the white meat down and the dark will hit that 175 to 180 to be done.

Good luck, I think this year we are going to offer smoked turkeys at the restaurant.  I am making some calls in the morning to locate the turkeys   
#6 - November 03, 2011, 10:40:02 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

BrianL

I am making some calls in the morning to locate the turkeys   

Pretty sure you can find some over in the judging thread :P
#7 - November 04, 2011, 01:42:41 am
SQUEAL TEAM SIX
Memphis Advantage
Onyx Oven
22.5" & 18.5" WSM

Atlas

Thanks Atlas, what temp did you cook it to.
I think it was 165 in the breast when I pullet it out and foiled it.
#8 - November 04, 2011, 05:54:37 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

azkitch

... when I pullet it out and foiled it.
Izzat a chicken joke, or a typo? Either it's funny or ironic...
#9 - November 04, 2011, 07:23:48 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

azchef1

Did Turkey last year on one of my UDS, turned out really good. Brined, butterflied,rubbed, 230* for about 4 hrs with a 16# bird. Started cavity side down so breast didnt dry out. Used a heat deflector as well. Thickest part of thigh to 165* Good luck!!
#10 - November 04, 2011, 10:10:21 pm

Smoker Man

I'm doing two turkeys this year and then either some ribs or ???.  I plan on a light oak or apple smoke to about 130 degrees then pull the bird, bag it and finish it off in the NESCO roaster while bird #2 goes on my WSM.  After done, I will unbag the bird and back in the Nesco with the air fan so it's a convection oven also, to crisp the skin. 

The Air Fan feature of the NESCO is great to brown in the roaster oven, even bread and pies cook in the roaster and brown nicely with the Air Fan.

I had 5 turkeys from last year's sales in the freezer.  I had the meat counter cut the frozen turkeys in half and stored them that way, so I cooked half a turkey at a time.  They cook quicly that way and I eat half a turkey a month easily without getting overwhelmed with it, being single, half a turkey is a lot of meat.   I've done the half turkey thing for about 30 years now.

#11 - November 20, 2011, 02:46:46 am

azkitch

I've smoked turkeys on my UDS last year, and my Brinkmann offset year or 2 earlier. I ran the smoker like an oven...I've read that turkeys larger than 12 or so pounds run the risk of being in the "danger zone" of 40 to 140 degrees when smoked at lower temps; therefore, I ran the smoker somewhere around 3125. Cooked it in minutes....OK. 325, for a couple hours. I've done 12# to 16# turkeys. I may have spatchcocked one, too. I haven't yet done the cheesecloth soaked in butter thing yet. I may do that this year.
And BRINE BRINE BRINE! I brine my turkeys in the "browning bag", usually 18 or more hours.
And I'm about to post that I found natural, minimally processed turkeys at Safeway for $1.49/lb. That's going to be a separate thread.
kitch
#12 - November 22, 2011, 09:41:53 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Members: