AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Tofu?

Discussion started on

TaxManBBQ

I have a vegetarian coming over this weekend and I dont want that to get in the way of everyone else's right to eat pork.  I'm thinking (maybe as a little tongue-in-cheek humor) of putting a tofu brick in the smoker.  Has anyone ever attempted this?  Any tips or serving suggestions?
#1 - March 07, 2012, 07:43:16 am

Mark

Tofu can be smoked successfully, much like cheese. I would use extra-firm tofu and dust it with your favorite rub. Often it is marinated in soy or teriyaki sauces, but there is no reason to stick with Asian seasoning. In addition, you could use dried tofu threads (available at Asian markets) and treat it like pulled pork.

http://www.21food.com/products/fast-food-dried-bean-curd-thread-made-by-yellow-bean-337867.html
#2 - March 07, 2012, 10:29:34 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

route66

For my Vegan Friends I stuff large Portabella Mushrooms with Blended white Bean and herbs. Pop it in the smoker for 30-40 minutes and drizzle a sauce of reduced Red Wine, raisins and Raspberry Jelly. Good Stuff that makes Carnivores want to trade for.
#3 - March 07, 2012, 12:31:28 pm

RudedoggAZ

For my Vegan Friends I stuff large Portabella Mushrooms with Blended white Bean and herbs. Pop it in the smoker for 30-40 minutes and drizzle a sauce of reduced Red Wine, raisins and Raspberry Jelly. Good Stuff that makes Carnivores want to trade for.

Dude, that sounds awesome... now it just needs to be wrapped in bacon and deep fried  :D It really does sound good. I think I will have to make that soon.
#4 - March 07, 2012, 12:46:50 pm

Members: