AZ Barbeque.com

Smoked Sharp Cheddar and Albacore today

Discussion started on

Crash

As I was cleaning out some leftovers from the fridge/freezer today I stumbled across a block of Sharp Cheddar.  Firing up the Pro Q, I smoked the block of cheese for about 85 minutes at 90 degrees. 1 small chunk of Virginia cherry wood was all that I needed for the smoke and I only used 3 K briquettes to assist the cherry wood smoke.

Also smoked some albacore tuna (that AZBBQ member Rocko, gave me about a year ago).  The Albie was smoked on the Pro Q with water about 3 cups of water in the WP.  I used about 1/8 of a chimney of lit K, one chunk of peach wood and a silver dollar-sized cherry chunk.  Temps were higher than I wanted at about 170-210, but most pieces of tuna were done at around 1.5 hrs to 2 hrs.

Havent tasted the cheese as we will wait for a week for it to settle down.  The Albacore however was phenomenal, best we've ever smoked. 

Oh yeah, also used a brine/rest period for the Albacore before smoking.
#1 - May 20, 2010, 11:19:35 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

jmcrig

Crash, from what I've read about smoking cheese is that once it's been smoked, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. Even twice, and put in the refrigerator for a week up to 8 weeks for the smoke to permeate the cheese.
One of my up and coming projects. ;D
#2 - May 21, 2010, 05:58:12 am

azcharlie

Crash:
     You say the temp was higher than you wanted on your fish. What temp were you looking for? I smoke fish every chance I get and I'm always looking to make it better. I usually shoot for around 150 deg. At that temp most of the fish comes out moiest but the tuna is usually pretty dry.
#3 - May 23, 2010, 09:33:39 am

Crash

I was shooting for 160ish in the smoker and 140ish internal on the fish.
#4 - May 23, 2010, 12:19:38 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: