AZ Barbeque.com

smoked duck

Discussion started on

145 grill

Has anyone ever smoked a duck and if you have how was it and how did you do it.  I would use a UDS to smoke it. Any help is appreciated.
#1 - March 26, 2012, 04:08:43 pm
1-offset stick burner trailer
4-UDS
1-home offset
The hardest thing about smoking meat is keeping it lit.

Mark

I've smoked duck over tea leaves, with 5-spice powder in my rub, and it worked out fine. Not much different than smoking a chicken. But like  cooking a goose, it helps to prick the skin a bunch so the fat bastes while it cooks.
#2 - March 26, 2012, 06:24:01 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

145 grill

awesome thanks, I will try that.
#3 - March 26, 2012, 10:40:34 pm
4-UDS
1-home offset

Cornbred

Piece the duck out in small chunks. rub, wrap in bacon and glaze with honey. dip in Sweet onion sauce. only cook to mid rare. tastiest morsel on the smoker!   
#4 - March 27, 2012, 06:20:43 pm

bearbonez

I've smoked duck over tea leaves, with 5-spice powder in my rub, and it worked out fine. Not much different than smoking a chicken. But like  cooking a goose, it helps to prick the skin a bunch so the fat bastes while it cooks.

I second this method. Try this served sliced over a bed of micro greens that has been lightly tossed with a miso/sesame vinagrette.
#5 - March 31, 2012, 08:00:30 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Crash

Piece the duck out in small chunks. rub, wrap in bacon and glaze with honey. dip in Sweet onion sauce. only cook to mid rare. tastiest morsel on the smoker!   
I'd trust what Cornbred says.  The dude is a duck killing eating machine...pretty sure he knows his stuff.

#6 - March 31, 2012, 08:45:05 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

PAT YOUNG

We use the tea leaf method on stovetop in one of our woks and it works great!
#7 - April 06, 2012, 01:28:41 am

145 grill

These all sound great, a friend was asking how to do it and next time we get together we are going to try these recipes.
#8 - April 06, 2012, 10:35:27 am
4-UDS
1-home offset

DanielTaylor

I love duck and I am using a tea leaves for smoking it. I think stove top is not a great choice because it would not give you an original taste of the duck. The tea leaves spared it's fragrance while smoking a duck.   
#9 - September 27, 2012, 02:53:56 am

Jeepergeo

I have not come across many recipes for duck on the smoker.  We've started doing Duck and Salmon for Thanksgiving, so this year, with my new Traeger pellet stove, I'm bound and determined to do both duck and salmon the it.  Since there will be family and guests involved, I think I will try the duck a few times before the holiday just to get down the technique and timing.

One Christmas, I decided to do pullet pork on my New Braunsfel holizontal smoker.  I got a bit of a late start...but not that late...but ended up with pork pulling at 10 pm and dinner at 11 pm.  Everyone was hungry...but it was worth the wait.

To avoid that, I will practice on the duck, I promise!
#10 - September 21, 2013, 12:05:43 pm

Members: