AZ Barbeque.com

onion rings

Discussion started on

smoque shack

hey all,

i own a Q joint in lake city co. [smoque shack] and im in need of a good recipe for rings that i can majke quick without making a big mess.....i've tried beer batter, and a reciepe using a batter, then rolled in bread crumbs...both were good, but messy as heck. any help would be great!..........thanks.....jeff,
#1 - March 21, 2011, 08:30:47 am
jeff heaton, "Smoque Shack BBQ" Lake City, Co. ....FEC500.

Mark

You may want to try onion strings. Easy to prep and tasty. :P

http://www.nibbledish.com/people/chunlei/recipes/onion-strings
#2 - March 21, 2011, 08:45:55 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Weaponeer

I hear the key is the buttermilk and on other tip. Always use sweet white onions, red onions are no good.
#3 - March 21, 2011, 02:04:15 pm
Tony O'Brien - ASU Student
CBJ #53784

smoque shack

thanks mark,
         that may be easier and less messy than my way....i'll try tomorrow [im out of oil].

weaponeer,
       yes im going to only use sweet onions.....vidailia if i can get them. thanks,
#4 - March 21, 2011, 05:14:35 pm
jeff heaton, "Smoque Shack BBQ" Lake City, Co. ....FEC500.

n2dabluebbq

#5 - March 21, 2011, 06:32:13 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Mark

Or a Grand Canyon Sweet Onion

"Grand Canyon Sweets are another good choice for dishes where you don
#6 - March 21, 2011, 09:10:39 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

PAT YOUNG

A little secret that iv'e used for years is if you can't get really sweet onions that day at the grocery store- slice onions and brine in a salt/sugar solution in the fridge for a couple of hours then treat/prepare rings by your favorite recipe! Our go-to recipe is buttermilk wash, dust in flour, back in wash, then into panko bread crumbs, fry and enjoy!!! :)
#7 - March 26, 2011, 04:09:44 am

Mark

Sounds good!

Has anyone tried using whole onions as a smoking medium? I heard years ago that you can toss them onto your fire to give smokey onion goodness to your meats.
#8 - March 26, 2011, 07:18:33 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

richoso12

Sounds good!

Has anyone tried using whole onions as a smoking medium? I heard years ago that you can toss them onto your fire to give smokey onion goodness to your meats.
Now that is something I haven't heard of, is this for charcoal smoking? I've used pecan and walnut shells when cold smoking cheese. I may have to give that a try.It's all good my friend.
#9 - March 29, 2011, 12:49:59 pm
GOSM big block, Weber 22.5 in one touch, AMZN cold smoker. I Grow NM Heritage 6-4, NM Jalmundo, NM Vaquero, Poblano,Serrano Tampiqueno. Habaneros are Orange, Antilla, Bondo Ma Jacque, and Red Savina. I use mesquite, cherry, apple, alder, and red oak chunks.

Mark

Yep. You just put a whole onion or two directly on the coals and let them create smoke as they burn. I've never tried it, but it is supposed to be good.
#10 - March 29, 2011, 02:29:03 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

n2dabluebbq

i do it when grilling. but never tried it smoking. hmm food for thought
#11 - March 29, 2011, 05:12:01 pm
low and slow baby, low and slow

s.475 passed baby!           http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/yy291/n2dabluebbq/

Members: