AZ Barbeque.com

Lets talk about butts!!!

Discussion started on

joe2chillo

So last time I cooked pork butt as some of you know from another thread it took 20 hours to cook a 6.5lbs bone in butt. Now some mentioned I should cook it higher (250-275) for the first 4 hours, than wrap it and crank it up to 300 for the next 4-6 hours. I should be able to get it done in about 10 hours or so. I would like some more feed back on this as I am planning on doing 2 butts this weekend. I am also planning on ribs. So... how best to proceed? If I am going to do these higher temps should I complete the pork ahead of time, pull it and cover it, than do my ribs at 225? Can the pork sit for 4-5 hours and still taste good when I server it. I don't want to have to microwave my pork before serving and I have only the one smoker. I could move the butts to my kettle grill on indirect heat for the second half of the cook so I can utilize my smoker for the ribs.

What are your thoughts? Especially on cooking temps for pork to get it done in time and still taste really good. Despite my 20 hour cook last time it was the best damn pork I have ever had in my life! I just want my guests to enjoy it this time. Last time they all went home without ever getting to eat it which meant it was up to my wife and I to eat it all over the course of the week :)
#1 - July 26, 2011, 06:42:07 pm

ArizonaRed

20 Hours?  Thats a long time for 6.5 lbs.  Im not sure what you are cooking on but you mentioned pulling the pork and then letting it sit.  I would not pull it until almost ready to serve.  Keep it warm in a cooler or the oven.

20 hours is crazy did you check your thermometer to make sure it was correct?
#2 - July 26, 2011, 07:12:43 pm
Warm Beer is Infinitely Colder than no Beer

jmcrig

If you have a process down that you like, why change it. Plan on a twenty hour cook for your butts. Hell mine take 19 hours. When cooking for friends, it's not a good time to experiment. Are there shortcuts out there, sure. But if you aren't familiar with them, why risk it. Experiment on yourself and family. Pork butts , if wrapped properly will hold for more than 6 hours. Enjoy your cook.
#3 - July 26, 2011, 07:17:17 pm

tbonejc

How many racks of ribs are you planning to do?  I don't know how big your smoker is, but why not leave the pork in your smoker and cook the ribs on your kettle.  That's what I do.  I also do it because I like a different smoke on my pork than my ribs.
#4 - July 26, 2011, 09:28:20 pm

joe2chillo

How many racks of ribs are you planning to do?  I don't know how big your smoker is, but why not leave the pork in your smoker and cook the ribs on your kettle.  That's what I do.  I also do it because I like a different smoke on my pork than my ribs.

Was planning on 4 racks. I figure move the butts over because the kettle is smaller so if I wanted to cook at higher temps it would be easier to do there. Plus at the point the butts don't need any more smoke so why not smoke on the smoker for the ribs.

As to my thermometer, I have several including a Mavrick digital that I highly trust. I am cooking on a Pro Q Excel 20. 

My reasoning for wanting to speed the process up is to be done on time. It is really hard to cook for 20 hours. Maybe I will not experiment this weekend but I would like some input on shorting my cooking time.
#5 - July 26, 2011, 09:36:03 pm

AzScott

What time are they coming over? 

What are you cooking on?

Have you used foil at all in the past?

#6 - July 26, 2011, 09:41:43 pm
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

Bam Bam

Are you cooking boneless by chance? They take longer to cook.
#7 - July 26, 2011, 10:37:35 pm
Cooking on 2 WSM's 22.5's W/BBQ Guru DigiQ

joe2chillo

hoping to server up food around 2:00 or 3:00. I am cooking on a Pro Q Excel 20. I have foil wrapped it in the past but only because it was taking so long. Someone on this forum in another thread mentioned cooking them at about 250-275 for the first 4 hours than foil wrapping and cooking at 300 for the rest of the time.

I am cooking bone in.
#8 - July 26, 2011, 11:13:45 pm

Bam Bam

Cook it at 250, then do the scratch test.  Take your fingernail and test the bark, if it holds, then it is ready to foil, if the bark moves when you scratch it, then give it another 30 minutes and try again. Usually when the bark is ready, you are in the plateau stage 145-165 degrees, once there, wrap your pork butt in a double layer, sealed, wrap of foil with some water, beer, apple juice, etc etc, then pop that maverick thermometer in and pull it when it hits 200 degrees.  Then let it rest for an hour.  A 6.5 pound butt shouldnt take more than 9 hours or so if you foil.  Good luck man 
#9 - July 27, 2011, 12:35:22 am

AzScott

I agree with Cameron.  Start your butts around 11 to 11:30 at 250, wrap them in the morning at 7 as he described and they should be good to go between 9 and 10.  Let them vent for 5 - 10 minutes and throw them in a cooler with a towel on them and you will be fine. 

I'd cook the ribs at the same temp (that way you aren't having to change and regulate a new temperature) and as a rough estimate 3 hours no foil, 30 minutes foil and then check them.  I'd start those around 10:00am for your schedule serving time of 2-3.  You can hold the ribs the same way as the butts but be sure to vent them for 5 minutes or else you will overcook them.
#10 - July 27, 2011, 07:50:07 am
14' R&O offset
FEC 100
3 L BGE's
1 Mini BGE

Competing since July 2010

AZWildcat

Cook it at 250, then do the scratch test.  Take your fingernail and test the bark, if it holds, then it is ready to foil, if the bark moves when you scratch it, then give it another 30 minutes and try again.

Harry Soo, is that you? Are you using Bam Bam's ID to speak freely?  :D Hmmmmm........Sounds like someone is paying attention to Harry's methods! Great advice though.
#11 - July 27, 2011, 08:40:03 am
2 UDS's-Stoked
2 WSM's-Stoked
BWS Party-Stoked
22.5 Kettle to burn burgers and steaks.

Be kind, polite and courteous to everyone you meet, and ALWAYS have a plan to kill them.

joe2chillo

Thanks guys! You Rock! I will try this with the butts than. The ribs I am not worried about as I am doing baby backs and have a good method. Its the spares and st louis that have been giving me problems. I will work on perfecting those another day. The ribs give me something to cook while people are hanging out. Everyone loves that small of the smoker after you just throw on some hickory!
#12 - July 27, 2011, 08:58:52 am

Bam Bam

Knock it off Harry!  I told you to stop doing that!  You guys probably didnt know that Harry was hiding in my booth during my last two comps.  Like I could win 2 firsts in pork by myself  :D.  But Harry is right about the scratch test Joe. It works well. You tucson boys crack me up!  I need to come down to your restaurant and meet you guys and eat some bbq.
#13 - July 27, 2011, 11:18:41 am

glenntm

Knock it off Harry!  I told you to stop doing that!  You guys probably didnt know that Harry was hiding in my booth during my last two comps.  Like I could win 2 firsts in pork by myself  :D.  But Harry is right about the scratch test Joe. It works well. You tucson boys crack me up!  I need to come down to your restaurant and meet you guys and eat some bbq.

Better listen up guys...The Prince of Pork is speaking....  It's all about the scratch test...
#14 - July 27, 2011, 11:41:25 am

Bam Bam

LOL!!!! :D Thats a nickname that I hope doesnt stick. Thanks Tom.
#15 - July 27, 2011, 12:40:23 pm

Members: