AZ Barbeque.com

Duck on the Smoker?

Discussion started on

desertdog

Anyone done this recently?  I was thinking about giving it a try on Christmas Eve.  I think half ducks would make a nice centerpiece to a holiday meal.  Any tips on preparing this bird?
#1 - December 20, 2009, 08:05:48 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

Quiggs

I think you have to shoot it first...... ;)
#2 - December 20, 2009, 08:57:51 am
Quiggs@AZBarbeque.com
Smokin Dead Meat BBQ
Born on Date 4-18-08
WSM, 22" WSM, Offset, UDS, Pro Q, Couple of Weber Golds, Bradley & Gas Burner.
www.smokinbbq.piczo.com
KCBS member & judge # 51659 of questionable standing

azkitch

I heard a nice duck recipe in which you cook the duck on a 2X4, and at the end of the recipe you throw away the duck and eat the 2X4. :D

Are they really that greasy?
#3 - December 20, 2009, 09:11:38 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Cornbred

Store bought can be.... wild ducks not at all! wild ducks have a wild flavor that people aren't use to. the texture and flavor may be the reason people tend to think they're greasy.
#4 - December 20, 2009, 09:13:10 pm

Crash

My experience is that ducks are a tough cook...especially wild ones.  In all honesty, I gave up trying to cook them and just buy one pre-cooked at the Ranch 99 Market on 40th St south of the 202.  I think they run about 15 bucks and are damn good.

I do know that Bear posted a Tea-Smoked Duck recipe on here a few years back.

http://www.azbarbeque.com/forums/bbq-recipes/tea-smoked-duck/
#5 - December 20, 2009, 09:40:23 pm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 09:42:34 pm by Crash »
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

grizmt

Pouring boiling hot water over the duck helps to melt and drain away the fat that is just under the skin. This step is necessary to give you the crisp skin that makes Peking Duck so good.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Ingredients:
1 3-4 pound duck
1 orange
1 onion
5 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sherry
2 tablespoons soy sauce
pepper to taste
Preparation:
Preheat smoker. Mix the juice of 1/2 of the orange with the honey, wine vinegar, sherry, soy sauce and pepper. Bring to a boil and let cool. Pierce the skin of the duck in several places with a sharp fork and pour about a gallon of boiling hot water over it. Stuff with the onion and the other half of the orange. Let dry. Place in smoker and smoke for about 3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Glaze with 1/2 of the sauce every 30 minutes during the smoking process. Serve with the other 1/2 of the sauce
#6 - December 21, 2009, 04:35:41 am

jmcrig

Cool, thanks
#7 - December 21, 2009, 05:12:42 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Sounds Tasty
#8 - December 21, 2009, 05:35:12 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

desertdog

Mmmm, that sounds awesome. Thanks!
#9 - December 21, 2009, 07:52:55 am
Pitmaster for Ship of Fools, er...Major Woody's BBQ Team
Beer Ambassador -currently doing research in assorted Bavarian Villages

grizmt

Duck is one of my son's favorite. It's one of my top birds as well. Normally we have spit roasted duck with a cranberry cornbread salad.
#10 - December 21, 2009, 10:49:11 am

ddog27

I have thought about cooking a duck the beercan chicken style but is that safe with all the fat?
#11 - December 21, 2009, 12:00:40 pm
Darin "D-Dog" Hearn
Eastern Arizona BBQ Club Ambassador
DDog@AZBarbeque.com

D-dog's BBQ Rubs,
So good they're better than Ketchup!
http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq

SmoknAZ

I have thought about cooking a duck the beercan chicken style but is that safe with all the fat?
Never cooked a duck but I would be afraid of all the fat being locked inside by the can??? The benefit of the beer can is to keep the bird moist and with a duck I don't know if that is necessary. Once again just a thought no real experience.
#12 - December 21, 2009, 04:34:59 pm
You can't drink all day if you don't start early.

PAT YOUNG

DUCK always gets a bad rap, but if done right it's the bees knees!! We like to cook the breasts the 1st night ( score breasts, sear over high heat to get color on them then into a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees - take out let rest 2-3 minutes then serve!! ) oh yeah in oven for 8-10 minutes! Then we take the thighs and confite them in duck fat and olive oil with thyme , rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaf, over night in the oven at 200 degrees! use that for our next meal-( duck eggrolls) then we put the carcuss in the freezer to make stock out of later! and we always use the rendered duck fat to cook taters in a cast iron skillet! The taters are to die for!!! ALTON BROWN does duck in the oven but he always seems to know what he is doing! we also do a mean PEKING DUCK  but that's quite a process!
#13 - December 23, 2009, 08:57:51 pm

force

STuff it with oranges........ my dad use to that when he smoked them...... real tasty..........
#14 - December 23, 2009, 10:34:14 pm
Huge Fan of Mike (AZBarbeque)... He's My Hero..

Crash

DUCK always gets a bad rap, but if done right it's the bees knees!! We like to cook the breasts the 1st night ( score breasts, sear over high heat to get color on them then into a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees - take out let rest 2-3 minutes then serve!! ) oh yeah in oven for 8-10 minutes! Then we take the thighs and confite them in duck fat and olive oil with thyme , rosemary, peppercorns, bay leaf, over night in the oven at 200 degrees! use that for our next meal-( duck eggrolls) then we put the carcuss in the freezer to make stock out of later! and we always use the rendered duck fat to cook taters in a cast iron skillet! The taters are to die for!!! ALTON BROWN does duck in the oven but he always seems to know what he is doing! we also do a mean PEKING DUCK  but that's quite a process!

Are these wild ducks you're cooking or the frozen kind you can get at an Asian market?  I'm a huge fan of duck, but both of my wild duck cooks have been a disaster. 
#15 - December 23, 2009, 11:06:34 pm
I love animals.  They're delicious!
VRM Pit Crew

Members: