One of the caterers here in town calls
them "Boneless Ribs"
We have thought about adding them to the menu
#2 - May 22, 2010, 08:50:53 am
Catering, Competition Cooking and Community Service

www.bbqthom.com

What Wood Jesus Q

DesertRat

I did some last weekend and they came out awesome. Did em similar to spare ribs. Rubbed em and wrapped overnight. Put them on at 225 for a couple of hours, then wrapped for an hour or so, then turned up the temps basted with BBQ sauce, basted and turned, basted and turned. They were awesome. I used Smooth Moove rub from www.obiecue.com

#3 - May 22, 2010, 08:53:38 am
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

www.skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat

DanMan

Man those look good!  I saw a recipe for a apple bbq sauce I might make that as well.
#4 - May 22, 2010, 09:20:51 am

Gizzy's Smokin Crew

Looks Awesome. I'm really hungry now ;D
#5 - May 23, 2010, 06:42:31 am
Gizzy's Q'N Crew......"FANG" Tastic BBQ
Brinkman Pitmaster Deluxe
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

DanMan

I did some last weekend and they came out awesome. Did em similar to spare ribs. Rubbed em and wrapped overnight. Put them on at 225 for a couple of hours, then wrapped for an hour or so, then turned up the temps basted with BBQ sauce, basted and turned, basted and turned. They were awesome. I used Smooth Moove rub from www.obiecue.com

When you turned up the heat was that direct or indirect heat?
#6 - May 23, 2010, 06:51:19 am

DesertRat

Indirect. These were in my ProQ so the water pan and everything was still in place, I just opened the dampers up and the temp went to about 350 or so
#7 - May 23, 2010, 07:29:25 am
Veteran blogger, rookie smoker. Outdoor writer, transplanted Canuck. Work for the U of A, in Phoenix

www.skinnymoose.com/dryrubbedrat

DanMan

Indirect. These were in my ProQ so the water pan and everything was still in place, I just opened the dampers up and the temp went to about 350 or so
I will try that as I have a ProQ as well. I am learning how to use it.  I always used wood only in a offset.  I am really enjoying the ProQ and now I have a Maverick ET-73, this helps a lot!
#8 - May 23, 2010, 10:03:40 am

PAPAS BBQ

Country Style are my favorite
#9 - June 14, 2010, 09:27:00 am
"Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Mark

One thing I like to do with country-style ribs is to make Chinese-style BBQ pork...you know-- the kind that gets your fingers all red and sticky. :P Most supermarkets carry packets of char siu seasoning in the Asian food section. Just coat the ribs with the marinade and toss them in the smoker. Super easy and something different.
#10 - June 14, 2010, 10:49:44 am
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

bearbonez

You can make char siu with country style ribs, pork loin, tenderloin, pork belly, etc. The way I love char siu is in manapua, also in china, char siu bao.

Basic yeast dough Ingredients:

5-6 cups       flour
     1/4 cups       sugar
     1-3/4 cups     warm water
     2 T            shortening
     1 T            yeast

car siu

1 1/2 pounds pork, unsliced
2 tablespoons rice wine
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
1/2 teaspoon 5-spice powder
2 tablespoons honey

In a large bowl, mix together rice wine, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, sugar, garlic, hoisin sauce, and 5-spice powder. Rub pork belly with marinade mixture and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
Smoke till temp hits 145 internal.

Procedure:
Dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar and shortening. Mix in enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough. Knead until smooth. Cover and let rise in warm place for 2-4 hours until double. Manapua Ingredients:

1 lb      char siu
     1 recipe  basic yeast dough

Procedure:
Chop char siu into small pieces. Divide dough into 24 pieces, then flatten with palm of hand. Place one portion filling in middle of dough circle. Pleat edges of circle and press firmly; pleat entire circle in this fashion. Wrap up entire circle and press all edges together to close. Place filled buns on squares of paper and let rise 10 minutes. Arrange buns in a steamer 1/2 inch apart and steam 15-18 minutes over high heat; remove and serve

Mix chinese hot mustard and soy sauce to your liking as a dipping condiment for the manapua.
#11 - June 16, 2010, 04:35:57 pm
David "Bear" Nunley

Members: