AZ Barbeque.com

Cheese Steaks

Discussion started on

BERNIETHEK

OK, Had cheese steaks in several area restaurants (not satisfied) and after spending 2 years in Philadelphia I decided to try my own.  Went to Lee and Lee market and bought very thinly sliced rib eye steak and to Lee Sandwich shop for great baguette.  Anyway, fried up some mushrooms, onions, green peppers and the steak.  Used provalone cheese for one and cheese whiz for the other.  Bottom line, both where OK but seemed to be missing something in the taste.  Any ides???
#1 - January 05, 2011, 10:13:38 am
BERNIE

Mike (AZBarbeque)

Jim of McFrankenBoo made up some incredible ones at the Cardinal's Tailgate party on Christmas Day.

Hopefully he will post up here what he did..

Bernie, call me next time, I will come over and taste test with you...   ;)
#2 - January 05, 2011, 01:10:21 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

mcfrankenboo

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Maybe some time in the near future  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
#3 - January 05, 2011, 01:19:33 pm
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:25:37 pm by McFrankenboo BBQ »

toys4dlr

Don't know to help the Cheese steak, different seasoning??  But I love Lee's Sandwich shop, whenever I am all the way down at Dobson and Warner, I always stop in.  They started in San Jose, where I moved from. 
#4 - January 05, 2011, 01:35:50 pm
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

Seasoned salt, grill the bread. I've been sprinkling various BBQ rubs on my grlled bread lately. Pretty good...
Don't they use mayo or mayo of some sort on the Philly Cheesesteak sammies?
If it comes to a road trip for a refresher course, take me along as baggage handler, and we'll stop in our old stompin' grounds when we're done in Philly. I'll show ya MD, you show me NoVa.
;)
#5 - January 05, 2011, 01:54:39 pm
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mark

Bernie, I truly believe it is the "fond" (aka crud) on the well-seasoned grill that gives a Philly cheesteak its unique taste. Their kind of Italian bread is also distinctive. Philly is indeed a great food town. You don't have to be Rocky Balboa to appreciate the Italian Market. :P
#6 - January 05, 2011, 03:51:04 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Seasoned salt, grill the bread. I've been sprinkling various BBQ rubs on my grlled bread lately. Pretty good...
Don't they use mayo or mayo of some sort on the Philly Cheesesteak sammies?
If it comes to a road trip for a refresher course, take me along as baggage handler, and we'll stop in our old stompin' grounds when we're done in Philly. I'll show ya MD, you show me NoVa.
;)

OK, again Kitch, you baffle me!  First of all, mayo on a Philly Cheesesteak?!?!  WTF?!?!  Gross!  Besides my utter dislike of mayo, a good cheesesteak is all about the seasoned grill and what they put on it.  I like mine "wiz wit" and "wit" onions!  I think Corleone's over off of Raintree & the 101 has good ones.  They are from Philly and at least understand what they are supposed to be!  There is another one, maybe called Liberty something, in Old Town Scottsdale but haven't tried them yet.

#7 - January 05, 2011, 04:35:20 pm

Mike (AZBarbeque)

There's a new one called Al's Beef as well off of Raintree & the 101.  Haven't tried them yet.
#8 - January 05, 2011, 05:42:15 pm
Michael J. Reimann
Realtor - Clients First Realty (Real Job) - www.TheReimannWay.com
Owner/President - AZBarbeque - #1 BBQ Club in Arizona
Owner/Pitmaster - AZBarbeque Catering - www.AZBarbequeCatering.com

If God wanted us to be Vegetarians, why did he make animals out of meat??

Mark

Al's Beef is good, but they make Chicago-style Italian Beef sammiches, not Philly cheesesteaks. Both are delicious! :P :P
#9 - January 05, 2011, 08:32:58 pm
Mark Motta
Meatier Creator

azkitch

OK, again Kitch, you baffle me!  First of all, mayo on a Philly Cheesesteak?!?!  WTF?!?!  Gross!  Besides my utter dislike of mayo, a good cheesesteak is all about the seasoned grill and what they put on it.  I like mine "wiz wit" and "wit" onions!  I think Corleone's over off of Raintree & the 101 has good ones.  They are from Philly and at least understand what they are supposed to be!  There is another one, maybe called Liberty something, in Old Town Scottsdale but haven't tried them yet.
Ooops. Sorry. I never got to Philly much, and I don't eat traditional Philly Cheesesteaks, not caring for green bell peppers. And too many years eating effing mall food--Steak Escape/Great Steak--that slap mayo on every sandwich they make. I humbly plead forgiveness in this matter. And I'll file away your dislike of mayo, too. Does that go double for Miracle Whip?
Liberty something wouldn't be Liberty Market in Gilbert, would it? Naah. Not likely. And nothing like cheesesteak on the menu.
#10 - January 06, 2011, 12:01:42 am
CBJ # 53779
For cooking, lower and slower. For spices, mo' hotter, mo' better. Habaneros rule!

Mrs. McFrankenboo

Ooops. Sorry. I never got to Philly much, and I don't eat traditional Philly Cheesesteaks, not caring for green bell peppers. And too many years eating effing mall food--Steak Escape/Great Steak--that slap mayo on every sandwich they make. I humbly plead forgiveness in this matter. And I'll file away your dislike of mayo, too. Does that go double for Miracle Whip?
Liberty something wouldn't be Liberty Market in Gilbert, would it? Naah. Not likely. And nothing like cheesesteak on the menu.

Ok Kitch, we'll let your lack of travel up North get you out of that one  ;D  My dad was from PA, I went to school there for 2 years and I still have several friends in Philly so I crave those cheesesteaks.  Jim orders them a lot out here but they just never compare.  That Liberty place is right on Scottsdale Road in Old Town.  Great, I'm trying to work out and eat better and all I want is a freakin' cheesesteak!!
#11 - January 06, 2011, 09:31:41 am

toys4dlr

Great, I'm trying to work out and eat better and all I want is a freakin' cheesesteak!!
[/quote]

And a Hawg Dawg too   ;D
#12 - January 06, 2011, 09:51:53 am
Toys 4 BBQ'N
Competition BBQ Team - Anthem, Arizona

Comfort is King with our team

Q-TO-U-BBQ, Anthem AZ
North Valley Magazine's Reader's Choice Best BBQ for 2010 and 2011

azkitch

"I'd buy THAT for a dollar!"
Yeah, that Hawg Dawg was the bomb DIGGITY as my daugther might say...wait, is it her? Whoever. Those HD's are awesome!
#13 - January 06, 2011, 10:41:41 am
CBJ # 53779

BERNIETHEK

Thanks for the input.  Guess I'll have to try some seasonings and use Mike as a Guinea pig.
#14 - January 06, 2011, 10:52:09 am
BERNIE

Atlas

I havn't tried making my own, but Forefathers at Warner & Priest is pretty good.  Just arount the corner from BBQ Island too!
#15 - January 06, 2011, 06:57:40 pm
Fire Magic Charcoal Grill, ECB, NBBD with 20 Lb tuning plate, Pro Q Frontier.

Members: